Hola, honda newb here

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hola, honda newb here

Hey guys, glad to have found this site. I used to have a yamaha r6 but sold it about 6 months ago and have had the itch to get back into riding ever since. I did a few track days and jennings and homestead and had a blast with it. As of now, I have acquired an 04 CBR 1000RR with 3800mi on the clock, full akra ti/carbon system, KN filters, flapper mod, PCIII Power Commander, and front and rear Galfer SS brake lines. I got it for a smokin deal too and it was never even put on the track,and should be here within the next week or so. So yes, I converted from a yami to a honda.

Now that is out of the way I have a few questions

The bike is coming with race plastics on it but I intend to use it as a street bike. Since I don't feel like going and buying a whole new set of plastics I am thinking of going the custom fab route and putting some PIAA driving lamps in the upper to sub in for headlights. I'm aiming for the Duc 999 style with one over the other. Has anyone made a custom bracket for headlights in their CBR? Does anyone have a link for somthing like that?

Also, I have heard the honda shifts are clunky. I find it hard to believe as my R6 was very problematic when it came to them and I installed the shift shaft support onto it and it never quite cured the clunkiness. Any truth to that?

Anything else I need to know about them?

Here are pics of her as she sits with the current owner

Old 06-02-2007, 02:00 AM
Default RE: Hola, honda newb here

I love the tail on that bike. The whole bike looks sharp. I own an 06 1000RR and I can tell you that the transmission is very solid, but I wouldn't call it cluncky. If yours feels that way then I would suggest you start by changing the oil. I reccomend usng Repsol Synthetic. Other than that, it should feel very close to a slipper clutch.

Hope this helped. Let us know how she handles on the track.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:39 AM
Default RE: Hola, honda newb here

throw out the k&n and buy some BMC race filters from SuperBikeSupply (828)252-2280
take apart the intake and sand out the innards (search for Poor Man Intake on www.1000rr.net)
that'll be enough to open a whole new can of low end whoop-azz !

both Gilles & LP make shift supports for the 1000rr but everyone who likes them seems to have aftermarket rearsets