Hog riders

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hog riders

I used to work with a Harley guy who wasn't outwardly racist, but really had noappreciation for anything made in Japan. We were friends more or less, but enjoyed making wisecracks about each other's bikes.One day he told me I wouldn't have the guts to run my bike ('98 ZX-9R) at redline for1 minutestraight (because obviously it'd blow up). I told him I'd be more than happy to run it full throttle at peak HP (11,000 RPM) for as long as he'd like,if he couldprovide a place for me to do it. Well that never happened, butIfound a video of a guy running the crap out of an R1 for 60+ seconds, with an occasional bump from therev limiter. After showing him the video he paused for a moment and said, "Hmm... Maybe the Japanese got it right."

Old 03-10-2008, 09:56 PM

Harleys blow, period.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:51 AM

Yeah, those harley guys are a different sort. My Girlfriends Mom and boyfriend both ride HD Sportsters (yeah, not even "nice" lookin ones). I took the GF to her mom's house on the back of my 1000RR7 and her mom freaked out. But its all cool when she's on the back of a Harley. I can't even talk about motorcycles around those two. In their opinion, I dont ride a motorcycle, I ride a death machine.. haha. I try to explain them that these are the safest bikes around. They steer better, brake better, accelerate better, are more visible (lites and reflectors are better), are lighter and are far far far more reliable than HD's (haha, just ask my buddy who got hit with a gear shifter that fell off a HD while they were on a poker run). And it seems to me that we "try" to be a little safer... I have yet to ride without a full face helmet, sturdy pants, boots, and gloves. Couple times when it hit 35 C (95F), I just couldn't bear the leather jacket. And most sport bike riders i see are in full riot gear, and hoggers are in t-shirts and beanie helmets (with "helmet laws suck" stickers on em of course)... haha, But i just get dirty looks if I say anything other than "Harleys are awesome". I got all pissed up with them one night and had the guts to try to explain that they (and not all, but most HD riders) are in it for the name (HARLEY) and the lifestyle (trashy women, tattoos, warm beer and the EXCUSE to wear tight leather), not the appreciation of a motorcycle and the way it makes you FEEL (and all you guys/girls who'll be reading this KNOW what i mean). I was pretty sure that I was gunna get shot... haha. They went on for about an hour about how Japan has yet to make a real motor (good laugh from that) and how i can't ride 10 minutes before I'm sore. So I tell them the only reason they dont get sore is because their whole body is numb from the gnarly vibrations from the HD. But seriously, I have put in 800 mile full day trips, my bike isn't like a freakin lazy boy sofa, but it doesn't hurt at the end of the day. And I do know what you mean about the hoggers not waving... I still wave to all other bikers (and even HD dudes if they wave first)... but alot more enthusiastically when I see the one "burnt out" (lol) headlight of a CBR... haha.. thanks for letting me rant. Peace.

EDIT: haha.. I forgot that her mom told me my bike is "too loud"... I have a Jardine RT-1. haha, I got a real real big kick outta that comment..

Old 03-11-2008, 03:51 PM

Where I live there's Harleys everywhere. Not all but many Harley riders are just jerks. I've gotten over the fact that they won't wave. I don't care whether they wave or not. Most of them feel a need to be a part of "the club", so to speak. They're not individuals, they're more like sheep. It's like the old saying, any club that would have me as a member, I don't want to be a part of! I don't feel the need to ride an overpriced, overweight, underpowered poor handling motorcycle!

Old 03-11-2008, 06:13 PM

My dad and my uncle never spoke a word about motorcycles until I got one5 years ago. Neither of them have ever ridden on one, to my knowledge. But, ever since I've been riding,all they ever talk about is Harley this and Harley that.They seem to believe that the only bikes that ever reck or get tickets are sportbikes. But, I think just as many, if not more cruisers wreck than anything. In an emergency situation, I would much rather have a light manueverable bike that will stop on a dime than 800 pounds of chrome plated steel with half the breaking system of a sportbike. True, sportbikes are fast and have been given a bad reputation. But, the speed of them is solely up to the person riding them. Not just because they are light with a ton of power.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:44 AM
Ty

I'd say wrecks are 50/50 around here. Sportbikes are helpless in the hands of a noob that wants to go 150 in a 35. But drunk Harley riders do their best to try and run into just as much stuff. There are actually a couple bars around here that cater only to the Harley crowd and I can't understand that for the life of me. There will be a whole line of 20 or so bikes out front, and every one of them is going to ride home drunk on any given night. But this is UAW territory, so i guess that's the norm. Bunch of frickin white trash with too much money, not enough job, and an appetite for unreliable vehicles. Rarely is there an accident that does not involve either a noob on a rocket or a drunk Harley rider.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:50 AM

i own and ride both so i wave to everyone. the way i see it, it is not what you ride but that you ride. current have a FatBoy and the RR. granted the FatBoy got 30 miles last year just because the RR is way more fun. But I have logged 16K on it over the years and started on a sport, and have always had and will have a sport next to the H-D in the garage. i love them both for different reasons and do not plan to be without both any time soon.

as for waving to prove a point if someone on an H-D will not wave just start waving very vigirously get their, and everyone elses, attention. makes them look like an *** for not waving back to a fellow biker.

and as for the pissed off look. if you have never ridden in a half helmet and no windsheild you do not kwon how much crap is smacking you in the face, that and you are breathing ram air at whatever speed you are traveling.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:16 PM

We have a good share of harley riders in my area, and majority of them are decent. I work with a few harley riders that give me **** about my rr, and I make sure to give it back. The main thing I get is the "WHERE DO YOU PUT YOUR NUTS", where I reply, "IN YOUR WIFE". Granted I do work with them and they take it all in stride, but they do not hate. They are just glad to see the younger generation riding, no matter what they ride. I've gone on many rides where I was one of the only sportbikes there, in a group of 10-20 riders. They make their wise cracks and come ROARING past on the highway tryin to deafen me, and all I have to do is crack the throttle and hang on as I'll pass them with the front wheel in the air, and still have more control over my bike than they do. I think it's all in the area you live in. HD riders here don't care what you ride, only that you ride, and we all wave to each other!