Help..is mesh that bad!? help

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 05:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help..is mesh that bad!? help

Some say go with mesh others say leather..i dont know what to do....leather protects more, but mesh is cheap...help....is mesh bad for a jacket i know its not beter then leather but im trying to decide it on jackets..but i cant decide..i understand it has to do with my taste...but here are two that im into:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...12&Division=1#

or

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...112&Division=1

or (this is leather)

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...112&division=1

[:'(]

Old 09-13-2006, 05:38 PM
Default RE: Help..is mesh that bad!? help

Mesh isnt horrible because it still comes with a few pads and stuff. But it wont keep you warm and it wont hold up the way leather does. Go leather!!!

Old 09-13-2006, 05:41 PM

there is a reason why tracks wont let you ride with mesh suits.
that alone should be enough however lets look at it another way
mesh is made of ballistic nylon
when nylon gets super hot it melts
now imagine the nylon is getting super hot because it is sliding over the pavement
and now imagine that melting nylon burning into your skin along with the road rash

now lets look at it another way

when you see a motogp rider going down on the asphault track he slides
because he is wearing leather
a fast slide yes but as long as he doesnt hit anything solid and his leathers hold up he will be ok

ballistic nylon grabs the asphault and makes you roll

rolling at any highway speed on asphault just doesnt seem like a great idea

Old 09-13-2006, 05:43 PM

I like the Daytona, the timax looks bulky. But yes, it all about what you like. I have both a mesh and a leather both are Icon. In the summer since I'm in Arizona (115) I wear the mesh and winter I'm in the leather most of the time. Good luck choosing.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:27 PM

Some people would have you believe that mesh is the worst thing possible. I don't go for that. Leather is the best, without question... but only if you wear it.

Nylon mesh does melt at high temps. Unless your nude under the mesh, you probably won't have to worry about it melting into your skin.

Go for the leather if you can afford it and if your going to wear it. It won't do you any good hanging in your closet if you didn't wear it because it was too hot.

It's also funny the guys who say not to wear mesh, it HAS to be leather ... and then you see them wearing the leather jacket with jeans and tennis shoes. [&o]

Old 09-13-2006, 07:29 PM

baxsom! thanks ....man...and everyone else....what you said got me....if the racers are using it..at those speeds..and able to walk out ok....even thou..they dont have traffic and grandma or paps..not looking when they switch lanes..lol..........but they hit speeds of 200+...i see what you are saying thanks

ps: every thank you...

any one wants to added anything go ahead...open door..types of jackets brand..whatever....lol

Old 09-13-2006, 07:36 PM

I have a first gear mesh jacket w/a removable liner. Works great for hot/cold weather, was cheap (comp to leather) and got me thru an accident at hwy speeds. Like the others said, leather if you can afford it, and will wear it, but the mesh has proven itself to me !!

Old 09-13-2006, 08:04 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mesh w/pads is a good thing. I still sweat in 'em during the summer but not nearly as bad as leather. Of course leather is the absolute greatest stuff on earth to keep you protected in a slide. Last I heard the ballastic nylon and mesh material was super slidey also. Anything is better than denim -- denim does not slide at all.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:15 PM

i love the mesh jackets, i guess they arnt the best for protection but at least they are somthing. they are great in the summer cuz the wind goes right through and keeps ya cool. or at least my joe rocket one does. though if i was gunna go down i hope i have my leathers on.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:52 PM

i live in san antonio

i wear full leathers even in +100 temps

my buddy went down on his RC51 a few weeks ago with full leathers on at a pretty good speed
got up and was fine

true you are not nude under a mesh jacket but i highly doubt that you are wearing a long sleeve shirt either

arms and hands are the main problems
the only armor is in the elbows and shoulders not the forearms

from someone who has seen roadrash (not me co worker)
in a mesh jacket and what he had to go through to get the nylon out of the skin on his forearms
i refuse to wear one,

i will sweat in leathers

Quick Reply: Help..is mesh that bad!? help