flasher relay question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flasher relay question.

I have been waiting till i have time to put on my clear alternatives integrated tail light and finally have time to do it.

I was reading around that the stock resistors get too hot and that a flasher relay is a better option then those resistors that come with the tail light.

My question is.... is there a seperate flasher relay for the front of the bike and the back? i have hotbodies flushmounts up front with no aftermarket flasher relay and they blink fast like they should with no relay. I kno that there is a relay under the left side fairing, is that just for the front?

basically, would i be much better off with dickin around with getting a relay? or will my bike be fine with the resistors that get "too hot"?

thanks.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:07 AM
June 2009 ROTM

Get a relay. One of my clear alternatives resistors fried within a couple months and now I'm waiting to get a relay anyway. That's odd that your hotbodies flush-mounts don't make the flash rate faster. The relay you mention under the fairing doesn't sound like the right one. http://www.customled.com/products/fl...sher_relay.htm ELFR-1 DOT Flasher Relay is the type you need (though not necessarily that one in particular). http://cbrtech.dyndns.org:8080/cbrtech/vfx-flasher.php for how to install

Old 07-08-2009, 07:12 PM

sorry to mislead you, My flash rate is faster all around because of my flushmounts up front.

Thanks for the info!

Old 07-08-2009, 07:18 PM

Ok, that seems as easy as plug n play for the Flasher relay.... But how do i go about wiring up my integrated taillight without the resistor? i have a plug for the main tail light, and then two seperate Yellow wires, do i just wire those yellow wires to the positive wire for each signal? what do i do with the ground wires then? thats where i am lost.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:51 PM

alright getting annoyed.... I have yet to put butt connectors on the two yellow wires for the turn signals because i am waiting for my flasher relay to come in.

I plugged in the main plug for the tail light, and i turn the key on and the red running light comes on like its supposed to, but when i hit the front or rear brake it doesn't change brightness.... it is plug and play so i dont kno why it wouldnt light up more for the brakes.... it did light up when my stock lens was in there, but i had the plate light plugged in and the stock turn signals plugged in, is it not lighting up for the brakes because of a open circuit? do i need to do something with that open (unused) plate light plug?

sorry for all the questions. but i appreciate any help.

also still waitin to hear about how to wire my two yellow wires in the post above....

Thanks.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:25 AM
June 2009 ROTM

You use a common ground, and one yellow wire for each blinker. I'm not sure why your brake light doesn't come on. Sounds like something isn't hooked up right for sure. Are you sure you didn't use the plate light wires instead of the brake? I don't use my plate light, so the connector is just sitting there unused. I was a bit confused when I first looked at the wiring too but I got lucky and got it first try. By the way your blinkers may not flash at all with all LEDs and no resistor or relay installed.

Here's a link for instructions to hook up your taillight: http://cbrtech.dyndns.org:8080/cbrtech/tail_light.php That's the best resource on the net for our bikes for sure.

By the way next Friday I'll be coming to SE WI for 2 weeks if you are still having trouble

Last edited by WhiteKnite; 07-09-2009 at 12:30 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:15 PM

where exactly in south east wisconsin? we should go for a ride if you bring your bike lol.

Yea i am sure i didn't use the plate light connector... I did find that when i removed the connector off the clear alt. tail light and put the one from my stock tail light on, that i switched two wires around, so now my problem is the running light doesnt come on but the brake does when i hit the brake. AND both turn signals are working with no resistors in route. i will be getting the VFX flasher relay though.

help asap thanks!

Old 07-09-2009, 07:56 PM

Alright good news, i got it all figured out and its all on the bike, i had two wires switched around by accident when i replaced the plug that came on the integrated tail light which didn't fit well at all. and by having the wire crossed i blew a 10 amp fuse, i knew that b/c i had no dash lights. sooo i fixed the wires put the spare fuse in and it all good.

I have one more question.... The heat shield between the tail light and the exhaust tip is showing and its fugly, i polished it up but i still have mounting holes showing from where the old fender would mount. Where can i get a shroud that goes over that? i do not kno what they are called and dont kno if i can get one with out getting a whole FE kit.

Thanks again

Old 07-09-2009, 08:33 PM
June 2009 ROTM

Originally Posted by 07ceeberthousand
where exactly in south east wisconsin? we should go for a ride if you bring your bike lol.
I'll be in the Janesville area. Can't bring my bike though, I wish. I don't think they will allow it in my checked baggage

Good to hear you got it sorted

As far as the heat shield goes, I just took mine off. Not sure if that's an option for you or not depending on what can you have.

Last edited by WhiteKnite; 07-10-2009 at 12:02 AM.