¿ Have you ever wrecked ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 03:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ¿ Have you ever wrecked ?

THis is my first post. Hopefully not my last. It all depends on if this deal goes through. I've NEVER riden a bike before. I believe I know the mechanics of doing it but only 1 way to find out. I just wanted to get a realistic idea of how likely it will be for me to crash.

BTW, i plan on taking a learners course if i do get this bike. 2004 cbr 1000rr. $3000 I figure if i dont want to ride I can always sell a 2004 for more than $3000 with a clear title. Also, so i dont have to make another stupid post. I was at a different bike site and they had these chrome bars around the side fairings, near the ground. They said it would help protect the bike from SOME damage incase it fell. What are those things called? I cant find site or another picture of them.

thanks for any help.

Old 04-23-2005, 05:13 PM
Default RE: ¿ Have you ever wrecked ?

Everyone crashes. I don't care how long you have been riding, how well you can ride, if you've raced, etc. Its gonna happen. If humans were perfect then we wouldn't crash. Look at the greatest riders in the world. Rossi, Biaggi, Gibernau, etc. They have all crashed more than once in their racing careers.

Not to rain on your parade, but a litre bike is not for beginners. I do not recommend the 1000 for anyone with less than 3-4 years of sportbike riding experience and with track day riding as well. Even if you take the a learners course, that does not prepare you to ride a litre bike. I would start out on a 500cc bike. I've heard all of the excuses why anything less than a 600 is a mistake to buy. Buying a 500cc bike is a good way to start. Trust me, you'll thank yourself after riding for a while.

Regarding the bike deal, $3000 sounds very unrealistic. The bike would have to be stolen to be sold for that price. I bought my 1000 for $9200 and thats because I knew people at the dealership. I would like to hear more about this "bike deal" of yours and who is selling the bike.

The bars you are talking about are called frame sliders. They prevent fairing damage in the event of a crash. The frame sliders touch the ground instead of the fairings. You can also buy swingarm sliders as well. I have LSL frame sliders on my 1000, which can be bought at www.spieglerusa.com.

Hope this helps. Please post again with more info on your intentions.

P.S. I don't think freak accident should be part of the poll.

Old 04-23-2005, 06:15 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What QuikSilver said ...

If a 2004 1000RR is $3000 then it's already been crashed or, as inferred by QS, stolen. With no actual riding experience you should be more afraid of manglement and compound fractures than just crashing.

This sounds like a fishing expedition --

Old 04-23-2005, 08:16 PM

It's not IF you will crash.. It's HOW you crash and IF you crash in style!

You should practice the tuck-n-roll manuver before you start riding so you can do it front of your friends just like a pro when you DO crash. You could get a friend to drag you down the street to learn the perfect slide (make sure you borrow someones leathers for this, don't want to mess your new ones up..). You should practice jumping off the foot pegs too. That way if someone pulls out in front of you, you can clear the top of the car just seconds afterward.

As with all crashes, you should skid to your feet for the perfect walk away into the sunset (or nearest ambulance).

Moral of this post?

Always expect the unexpected and drive defensively. Respect the bike or IT WILL BITE YOU!

I can't say that a 1000RR is the best selection for a first bike. That's a LOT of bike to be learning on. You gonna have to deal with not only the power of the bike but the weight as well. It took me 3 months of careful driving on my 1000F before I felt comfortable enough to get frisky. But it's like a cycle, you will ride to your limit and something will happen that scares the crap outta you and then it's back to safe driving for a while. Then the cycle repeats itself.

If you do get the bike, just take your time. Learn the habits that the bike exhibits and how it feels. The bike will tell you when your about to experience road rash if you know it well.

Old 04-24-2005, 01:32 AM

Only 4 ppl participated in my poll, whats up with that ?? Are some of u guys embarrassed to say u fell on ur face?

Well i DO feel what you guys are saying. I am 23 and Have already told myself repeatedly that it IS too much bike, and that I WILL crash. I'm also a money maker. Since i dont know how this bike will handle compared to a 600cc bike. I'd like to try it out. Hopefully this guy and the bike is legit. I figure if it is legit and I do buy the bike and it is tooo much power for me to control I wont hesitate to make an extra $2000 to resell it.

The other day i was on ebay i saw a bike emailed the guy about his low starting price with no reserve. He emails me the next day with pics and offers me the bike for 3000. After i read the email i tried to go back to his ebay page to reread it but it was gone. O'boy said someone tried to buy it and it fell through. Anyways, he supposedly lives close to me in raleigh so i want to check it out. He also said if i did want it he wanted me to pay through "square trade".com Why, I dont know. Maybe to make his scam more legit, maybe just to be legit. IDK, only time will tell.

BTW, I read some bikes tend to lift up (wheelie) alot. This yamaha review i read said that. Is this common? Is that why the guy up there ^^^ said soemthine about the weight? Ill go try to do some reading on motorcycle weights after i post this.

Old 04-24-2005, 11:50 AM

Snookay,

I'm in the Raleigh area as well.

I'm not saying that the 1000RR is a bad first bike. You just need to respect it more than you would a 600cc. The 1000RR will be more unforgiving than a smaller bike. If you buy it, just take your time and learn it's habits. A couple of months learning the bike will make a world of difference.

On the positive side, I like larger bikes because they carry more weight. This translates to a smoother ride and less buzziness. A nice pair of neoprene hand grips on those clip-ons will make it even better.

On a negative side, Have you had a chance to look at the bike in person? Is the owner the first owner? Has the bike been taken care of and are the maintence records good? I was looking at a CBR 600 when I first started shopping around but decided against it because alot of teenages buy them. After 5000 wheelies, 2000 burnouts, and 2 attempted front wheel stands that failed. I decided that an adult owned and maintained CBR 1000 was the better choice (no wheelies, no burnouts, and no wheel stand attempts).

The website the guy wants to use seems legit. I would just use caution before you fork over any cash. Take it to the Honda shop in Garner and have them give it a good inspection. Tell them to look for any crash damage or signs of abuse. Don't get buy-itus just because it looks good.

I agree on the price.. $3000 seems way too low for that bike. Be suspicious, run the VIN# through the DMV B4 you buy. It would bite **** if you bought the bike only to get arrested for possession of a stolen vehicle when you went to register it.

2 cents

Old 04-24-2005, 01:40 PM

thanks for the tip about a bike shop in garner. I was wondering where i could take a bike to get a check up. I cant even think of any places around here to buy a bike from. That motorcycle place that used to be in Downton, raleigh around that rim store is gone i believe. I'll search for some places to buy a bike from this week before i lose my "need" to buy a bike.

I used to work with this guy chris at target and he told me about some shop, i think he said junkyard type place, which would take peices of the same bike that have been in accidents or parted. The shop/J yard would rebuild a bike and sell it for cheap. Do you know of any places like this? Ill probably stop by target to ask him if he still works there and then i'd have to be lucky enough for him to be working.

Old 04-24-2005, 11:40 PM

Kawi/Suzuki of Durham is up Hwy 70 toward Durham.
Mattison Motorsports is on Durant Rd.
Barnett's Suzuki/Ducati is over near the Farmer's Market (used to be downtown).
Honda is in Garner.
Another Honda place is up Capital Blvd. behind Best Buy.

There are a few Harley and custom bike places around town also.

Some of the best prices I have seen is from Fox Kawi/Suki of Roxboro, North on 501 of Durham.

Good luck with the ex500. Nice starter bike..

Old 04-25-2005, 11:27 PM

hey there mister know it all "snookay" what'd ur gurlfriend give you that handle...anyway i don't think anyone is afraid or embarrassed of an accident...more so being in a parking lot and slipping in the gravel and dropping the bike...but not an accident...these guys are right...if you start out on a CBR1000RR let me know all ur personal info so i can take out a life insurance policy on ur dumbass...only a matter of time before u go down...thing about riding motorcycles...there are 2 kinds of riders...those who have gone down and those who are going to go down...i've been in 2 accidents myself...don't care to go into the details they weren't my fault and i was actually obeying all the laws...luckly i have never been into an accident when i was doing something stupid such as a 125mph stand up wheelie down a highway passing inbetween cars...which is what a 1000RR is very capable of...if u let it take u to that...take their advice...get something smaller

Old 04-26-2005, 01:37 AM

sorry to have seemingly offended you somehow reevesna. I'm not sure why ur calling me a 'know it all and a dumbass.' I was hoping ppl on these bike sites wouldnt flame each other, guess not. there's actually a story behind my tag name. Lastly if u read my first post here, or the last post or even my other topic it says I know ill crash or fall; i know the 1000 was too much; i would buy it try it, then sell it to make some profit; and that i found a good deal on a ninja 500r that ill be buying if this fool would call me back.

Quick Reply: ¿ Have you ever wrecked ?