first time on freeway!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first time on freeway!!!

Today was the first time on the freeway with my new 1krr. I have been riding for a little while in the city. All i have to say is that this machine is a beast. I was a little dizzy after though because my helmet was shaking so much. I think i need a smaller helmet. I have an XL and i think i need a large. My friend also said that its the way you tuck yourself and you will find the right position for you, any tips??? Also any tips on making turns at fast speeds.

Old 10-22-2006, 07:40 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: first time on freeway!!!

Yeah, I had the same problem. My helmet broke in way more than I thought it would, so I went for a smaller size. (nice and snug). With the tuck, I would just find the most comfortable position. It took me a few weeks to find mine. I like to be scooted all the way up against the tank in the city, and scooted all the way back in "full-tuck" on the highway on trips more than 20 minutes. That's just me though.

Also, be careful with the corners at high speeds. Learn the bike first, then gradually take on the corners. I would recommend taking a Superbike class (expensive but WELL worth it). I took a class through the California Superbike School. 1 day course, thought me everything from cornering to racing. Greatest thing I could have ever done. You have NO idea how much that class helps you out in the twisties.

Hope this helps man.

Old 10-22-2006, 03:57 PM

yeah after my accident on my first bike - i been having to use a medium size helmet (where i wear a nice snug small) when you hit 70+mph's, your helmet will shake. it kind-of gives your a massage on your head. And it's really hard to concentrate on the road when your vision is getting cut in half from the top of the helmet too.

also when you turn your head to look behind ya, it is shakey and grrr i hate that.. then wearing a backpack will push the back-end of the helmet up, which makes the front end almost go behind your eyes.

but once your get the right snug fit, the helmet will never annoy you again (and grrr do i hate being annoyed)

see if there is a group buy going on - you can pick one up pretty cheap, or just go to a store and try some on to make sure you know your size (each brand is different with sizing, so a ICON you could wear Large - where with Shoei you could be wearing X-large and they would be the same fit)

Old 10-23-2006, 02:32 AM

Thanks, yeah i'm gonna go down and get a smaller size. But it sucks because i lost my receipt so i might have to buy a new one.