New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

first time on freeway

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 03:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first time on freeway

whats up guys well i have my bike for about a month now and yesterday was my first time on
the freeway and i was only gone 60 mph and it felt so fast, well i get use to it and go faster?
just wondering to know if anyone has the same problem thanks

Old 10-08-2006, 06:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: first time on freeway

Riding on Freeways (to me any way) always feels faster, than doing the same speed on a good piece of back road. Speed perception is a relative thing. Once you get the old adrenalin pumping through your system, kinda slows things down a bit, and it's not until you look down at the speedo, that you may realise you may be over the speed limit a tad.
You will get used to speed, most of us have develop our own comfort zones as to wots to fast (and to slow) The key to survival is not to go out of your own comfort zone. (like trying to keep up with a maniac mate his Hyabusa, or worse, trying keep in front of your maniac mate on his Hyabusa). Stick with wot you know until your experience and confidents grows.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:06 PM
Retired Moderator

I was just on the superslab about a few weeks ago, and it made me pucker. I have to ride about thirty miles away TODAY to take my bike in for survice. I can feel your pain. The speed thing does feel better with time, I've noticed.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:53 AM

Hello & Welcome!!

Old 10-11-2006, 04:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: pacemakerYou will get used to speed, most of us have develop our own comfort zones as to wots to fast (and to slow) The key to survival is not to go out of your own comfort zone. (like trying to keep up with a maniac mate his Hyabusa, or worse, trying keep in front of your maniac mate on his Hyabusa). Stick with wot you know until your experience and confidents grows.
This is excellent advice. Comfort will come with time and experience. But you're actually safer on the freeway than on surface streets. Everyone's going the same direction at about the same speed. No idiots running stop signs, pulling out of driveways, making left turns onto you, etc. But you still need to keep out of peoples' blind spots and watch out for lane changers, especially near on-ramps and off-ramps.

Old 10-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: mr tone

will i get use to it and go faster?
Yep.

Have fun on your bike, mate. I took mine for a 230 mile highway ride the second day I had it. Some might say it was too soon, but I've ridden bikes all my life, just not streetbikes. The important thing is I felt comfortable the whole time. When you don't feel comfortable, either don't try to keep up - go at your own pace, or if the situation allows, ask your mates to take another route.

If they're you're friends they should understand, though they still mat give you some crap for it. Consider it your "rookie" status. Nothing wrong with that.

Have fun and be safe.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:57 PM

I am still working up to this. Maybe this weekend. Congrats. I've heard everything about the highway good and bad.

Old 10-17-2006, 03:23 AM

key is like someone said above - just stay in your comfort zone.

Old 10-18-2006, 06:23 PM

Ok I have a funny story about my first time on the freeway. It was the second day with my '06 F4i, which is my first bike ever, and I thought I'd go show some friends. Well on the way home I thought I'd go out onto the freeway and so far I had only really taken slow 90 degree turns and had been reading and trying to learn about countersteering. Well I thought you were supposed to push the handles down not forward in the direction you want to go so I'm coming up to a nice corner at about 70-75 and start pushing and am slowly drifting to the left side of my lane and into the emergency lane. Well I figured out real fast how to countersteer because all of a sudden I just did it like it was second nature and I had a quick left after that right corner and flew right through it with ease. =) Now freeways are pretty fun except going 75 and looking down at the lines passing you seems like you're crawling. And I'll tell you one time you're just going to tuck down and give it a little throttle and be going triple digits. I'm about 230lbs and my bike just rockets only being a little 600 still. I love it it's so much fun! Now I just need to move out of Wisconsin so I can ride all year long. Anyone in a state that is warm all year round looking for a room mate for the winter? =D

Mike

Old 10-20-2006, 12:34 AM

thanks guys that help alot and thanks pacemaker about your comfort zones that helped alot
now i'm on the freeway more often.

Quick Reply: first time on freeway