Break-in period??!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 03:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Break-in period??!!

Hello,

So i just bought a new 2006....

and the dealer guys told me that honda only says to take it easy the first 300miles and to avoid full throttle starts, and fast acceleration to red line. (this is almost word-for-word for whats in the manual) he didnt say anything about rpm limits...

now i have bought 4 other brand new honda's: 2001 F4i, 2002 CBR954RR, 2004 RC51, and now the new one.

all of thoses bikes i pretty much limited myself to <6000rpm for the first 300mi, then 9000rpm for the next 500 miles, and to top it off; no ***** to wall starts under 1000miles.

do you other experienced riders think that is too conservative? and what about what they told me about my new bike. so far i have got 450miles on it, and i am pretty much driving it like it had 1000+ miles on it. i have not done any stand-ups on it yet, no 2-3 miles wheelies ( i am not kidding, i have done theses before, and for anyone from san diego, i got a tape of me going over the Coronado Bridge, sick huh?), or totally crazy starts, but i have redlined it in second.....(wow, it was nice but thats another tread..)

so anyways, should i wait it out for another 600miles before going crazy or what?

thanks every-one, and here is a pic of the bike....(still pretty much stock)

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...1000_small.jpg (the wiff photoshopped this one..)

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...imsbike082.jpg

Jag

Old 06-05-2006, 04:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Break-in period??!!

- Keep it under 6k

- bring it in @ 6-700 miles

After that you should be good to go.

enjoy!

Old 06-05-2006, 04:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

e'Uhhmmm ok, so do you think i did any damage the dozen or so times i exceeded that? including the redline like twice? it was after 400 though?

jag

Old 06-05-2006, 04:58 AM

i think you'll be alright.

There is alot of mixed ways of breaking in an engine. some people take it to town (ride it like you stole it) and take it easy right after just so the

rings get set at higher rpms. etc. You should be alright though. just take it easy for the next 200 miles and do the first check up.

Ride safe.

Adam

Old 06-05-2006, 09:43 AM

this always turns into an argument but here is how i have always broke in my bike and i never needed service and my bike always ran well..

I run the bike right out of the dealership up to redline.. now thats not 1st gear WOT to redline.. thats 1,2,3,4 and cruise it up to the limiter and let off and let it pull vacuum to seat the rings.. i pretty much do this for about 2-300 miles varying speeds up to redline and letting off and allowing it to come back down to normal rpms.. vacuum is what pulls the rings against the cyinder walls.. what honda doesnt want is wot to redline in 1,2,3 gears.. this is always a debate and this is simply how i do it..

we have a saying here..break it in slow and it will run slow... i had my busa in 01 on the dyno with 100 miles pulling the 6th gear limiter. at about 2k miles with all bolt ons and a set of cams degreed and tuned it ran faster than any bike with the same or more mods in my area.. im not bragging but its the honest truth. that bike only went to the dealer for a starter never the motor..

Old 06-25-2006, 11:29 PM

I have a friend that road raced for many years. He said that they (dealerships) tell you this because they want you get used to the bike. That after about 200 miles you are safe to ride the bike like you would ride any other bike. Look at how the stun bike guys ride their bike. Their bikes should blow up? I have a buddy who builts motors for a living and he said the motors get broke in on the dyno. He happens to built some of the nationals fast snowmoblie motors and two stroke motors are more maintance then four storke motors. Honda builts and incredible motor almost bullet prove.

Old 07-02-2006, 11:00 PM

Well i have not been on here in a while i have been real busy.... but i must say that i agree with deezuhl..... I took mine out and broke it in hard....and let the engine slow it down.. It helps set the rings a lot better. THere is always a big debate about this methode.. but do what you wnat.. I have seen rel world figures fo the hard break in verse the easy dealer break in.... The hard break in yields a few more HP!!!! Aprilia does this in the factory.... They take the engine up to redline in all six gears then let the engine slow it down... I met a guy the other day who had always broke his bikes in hard... Well he just bought a new zx10... and against his better judgment he listened to the dealers bs about break in and how doing it hard is bad..blah blah blah (pretty much the dealer scared him...wimp) So he broke it in like they said.........and guess what he has had his bike in the dealership consitently...due to the bike leaking oil... So do what you want but i break them in hard and have had nothing but great results.....just be sure to chang ethe oil afte rabout 30 miles or so.... you would be surprised at how many little burs of metal that come out.... from the engine (when you mass produce thousands of engines you dont get everything..) and you sure dont want that in your engine...also it is not recomended to use synthetic oil when breakin in your bike..... it coats everything and doesnt seat the seals as good!

Old 07-03-2006, 04:13 AM

Im gonna steel this guys post for a second. But I havent been @ lately and have had my bike for over a month. It currently has @ 350 miles since I bought it a month ago. maybe a few days more like a month and a half.

Will the bike be okay riding it short distances like 50 miles a day or so until the 600 mile check-up / oil change? Or have I screwed myself and basically allowed all the metal fragments be thrown around the engine internals making it worse.

Should I just take it on a long haul down the freeway for a few hours till I hit @ 600 miles then take it in ASAP for a change? Please let me know.

Thanks,
Adam

Old 07-03-2006, 04:48 PM

600 is an approximate, i wouldn't venture too far over it, just because its the 1st oil change. I did mine at 750 miles; and no problems; just make sure you get it done as soon as you can after 600