Arrrrrrgggggggggg! Darn brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arrrrrrgggggggggg! Darn brakes.

Ok I was out on Friday (Now Saturday) and I noticed for the first time that my brakes were fading.

Note to allI haven't felt this before but it was in the mid 80s today and as I was flying along and hitting the brakes I noticed them getting softer and softer. Didn't notice any less of a pull on the brake lever but it could have been spongier.

Any body have any ideas on what this could be?

I am hoping it was the brake fluid that was amber colored. I think the dealer left the factoryfluid in my 04 while it sat on the shoroom floor instead of changing it before I picked it up this July. I did get it as a left over with 0.1 miles on it.

I did just change the fluid today (Sat)to see if this would help but note to self don't bleed the brake lines dry again [:@]. Its actually easier if I just use a line into a bottle instead of the MityVac. The rear went so smooth I tried the front and ran the reservoir out of fluid because I opened the bleeder valve too much. It seems like if I open the bleeder just a hair too much I start pulling air through the threads of the bleeder but nothing happens if I dont open it just that little bit more. Whereas If I pull the lever to the bar and then crack open the bleeder it pours out much easier.

I got all I could of the air bubbles out and the brake lever is tied against the bars. Mid way through the day I had the brakes engage at 1/4 pull on the bar instead of having to pull it 3/4 before it started to engage.

Any ideas on bleeding the clutch fluid so I don't bleed it dry? It is a really really really small reservoir. For right now I just emptied the reservoir and refilled the reservoir.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:53 AM
Default RE: Arrrrrrgggggggggg! Darn brakes.

How much were you hitting the brakes? when brakes heat up from being used to much they start fading,this is normal,and happenes on all brakes

Old 09-23-2007, 09:30 AM

It was a fast (60-80mph) 30 minute ride on a bumpy back road. I would have thought that the brakes on a bike meant for track use wouldn't fade that quickly.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:09 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They shouldn't fade that quickly..........in fact, they should fade VERY little at that........even at the track. I know that I have the 600RR, but the brakes are very similar. I took a 400 mile trip through the mountains a week ago, and I was riding very aggressively through them. It was either hard on the brakes or hard on the throttle. I did this for about an hour straight (and drained an entire tank in less than 90 miles). Never once did I encounter brake fade......or if I did, it was so little, I didn't notice it.........and I notice everything. (except for gravel on the highway at 70 mph)

I would take them into a shop to get them checked out. Either your low on fluid, something needs adjusting, pads are getting worn, or something. But what you describe, and how quickly they are fading, something is not normal.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:16 PM

The heat seems to make the brake lever soft even though I am using Valvoline DOT 4 compatible synthetic brake fluid. Do I need to rebleed the brakes again? In the heat I notice I have to pull the lever 1/2 way instead of 1/3 of the way to engage the front brakes. Yes it is 1/3 of the way when it is cold in the morning not 1/4 of the way.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:00 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may need to. But, personally, I would take it in. I know a lot of people say work on your own bikes (which is fine), but when it comes to the brakes........and they're not working properly, I say take it to the shop.