ADVICE PLEASE: 600 or 1000?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ADVICE PLEASE: 600 or 1000?

ORIGINAL: YellowJacket1000RR

Evan, go PM yourself. Your just sucking air here, as you're doing with zzz11, TexasArmadillo, and God knows who else.

that damn troll [:@]
And yet, you respond every time when "10 post ago"...you said you didn't care. You mature more and more with every one. Keep it up...I am proud of you.

Old 08-24-2006, 06:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Evan_CBR

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

yes, please stop wasting board space, bandwidth, etc. with your senseless arguing.

just leave your opinions and be gone. disagree yes, but do not resort to names, etc.

get whichever bike you prefer...and ride safe.

neither bikes are beginner bikes...and no matter how safe and responsible you are, you can't hide or prevent the gravel/water on the road, the accidental too much throttle, etc...and these are things that will eat you up...but less forgiving on a smaller bike than a bigger bike.

if your point is to be a better rider, start small...if your point is to just get a liter bike, then get a liter bike.

i'll put one of my boys who started riding a small bike and worked his way up to a 600 vs. someone who's been riding the same amount of time on a liter bike...and i'll watch and small as the liter rider gets spanked...

t
And see, Tahoe SC...you are making the same mistake everyone does who gets on here without reading the trail to see where things started.
why do you think my post was directed at all your posts? i did read the trail...you never said which one to get but just that you hav a 1krr and most people where you're at ride them, noob or not...and hence, you don't recommend against getting a liter bike...but your post...it reads and implies that a liter bike is ok for a noob.

it by no means is recommended for a noob! none of these 600s or liters are meant for noobs! look at the power they make, the design, the purpose of the bikes...it's not noob friendly whatsoever. but get what you will and let fate decide...and all you can do is be careful.

now about 1krr an easy bike to ride? i think you should push it off the bike stand now hahahah yea that was mean mang...lots of tracks at philly...take it there...

Old 08-24-2006, 06:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

why do you think my post was directed at all your posts? i did read the trail...you never said which one to get but just that you hav a 1krr and most people where you're at ride them, noob or not...and hence, you don't recommend against getting a liter bike...but your post...it reads and implies that a liter bike is ok for a noob.

it by no means is recommended for a noob! none of these 600s or liters are meant for noobs! look at the power they make, the design, the purpose of the bikes...it's not noob friendly whatsoever. but get what you will and let fate decide...and all you can do is be careful.

now about 1krr an easy bike to ride? i think you should push it off the bike stand now hahahah yea that was mean mang...lots of tracks at philly...take it there...
Good One. I did sit on it for almost 1/2 hour before I started it up when I first got it. LOL. But I hope I don't imply that someone should jump right on a 1000rr as an newb. It definitely isn't the best choice for a beginner...but I was willing to take the risk.

Old 08-24-2006, 08:27 PM

yea i know...so be careful mang...

Old 08-27-2006, 02:43 AM

just this year alone startng in march where i live their are a lot of mountain roads with a lot of curves. some of the younger guys got liter bikes for their first bike. their have been no lesss then 30 go down so far injuries ranging from asphalt rash to broken legs , shoulders , wrist , arms. but no one killed yet. the mountain road that the guys love 421 has become dangeous with these kind of ridres so i found other paces to ride. the bikes have be trashed in the wrecks all new a shiney. point being it wasent the bike that caused the problem but the people on them they were riding way beond their skill. if you own one of these bikes you will at some point test your skills and if you go over that limit their is no return. if you buy a 1k bike ride for several years before you think you are good because the day you think that will be the day the bike dumps you. not being a smart *** ss just stating the facts.by the way their is no bike safe by their own nature they are dangerous but the fact still remains lets take a 750 nighthawk in first it maybe will do 35 to 40 mph tpo speed 120 a 600 first gear 63 mph tpo speed 162 a 1000rr 90 first top speed 185 its best to learn to crawl before you try to walk. the closer rate alone is so much different that enyone not use to that will panic
. fact my son in law just bought a 1000 suzuki old model 1982 had never rode before . he came off of bicycles his first ride was not a disaster but he did go down because of the closer rate he was not use to. gentleman i am not argueing with you it is fact that not knowing will get you hurt. and yes you may have started on a 1k bike but different roads make different riding styles,if you are on all straight roads then you learning curve may progress quickley but if you are on mountain roads the learning curve will be greater. i have a friend the visits eveyr summer he lives in oklahoma his first ride here in east tennessee was an eye opening experence for him. he did not even no what counter steer was but before the mounth was up he was learning. ever trip out he gets better and he even went back and told his friends back home you havent rode until you ride in upper east tennessee and you cant even keep up with those guys. he ride a 1998 vaulkrye i ride with him a 2003 goldwing and sometimes my 2006 1000rr but hell i have lived here all my life my first street bike was a 1973 350 honda so i have progressed from their. but yes you can buy a 1000rr and be safe but sooner or later the eago kicks in and trouble shows up i just think myself and i am speaking for myself that the progression moving from small to large helped me. i have been riding for 35 years and even at that my first yeatrs were my worest because my eago over rode my skill.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:03 AM

Thanks to everyone for all the great advice in this thread. I just bought an '05 1000rr that should be here next week. I've been riding a Harley 883 Sportster for about 3 years and was tired of topping out at 85mph (seriously) and I've always wanted a sports bike. In the interim between buying the 1000rr a few days ago and now, I've read several articles in magazines and on this forum that have me thinking twice about my decision to get the literbike. Riding will be a lot less fun if I'm dead, so I might have to lose my shirt on the 1k and get an f4 or 600rr instead.

This is my first post and y'all seem to be a flame-happy bunch, so bring it on!

Old 10-04-2006, 08:04 PM

Congrat's on passing the class and good luck with whatever decision you make.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:25 PM

I have been riding 20+ years,including dragbikes. I bought my 1000 a few monthes ago, It is definitely too much for a first bike. It is outright mean. Besides that , insurance will put you in the poorhouse. I agree with the "keep it under 80 hp" for now.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:48 PM

I've seen some advice that I really support, and some comments that make me wonder.

I'm a huge supporter of start small. You've heard the arguement before - first bike, get something with less power, ride it, learn lots, and then move to a bigger bike if you need/want to later.

It's good advice, heck, how many pro's do you know that started on a liter bike? It's just not advice that people like to hear. For what ever reason, people don't like it and figure it's garbage.

Lets try a different angle.

You buy your gear. Get a jacket - 200, a helmet 100, a pair of gloves 50, boots 100, pants 150. That's 600 right there - fine pay it in cash. You get your insurance, anywhere from 200 too 3000 a year. Pay that.

Now you can do one of two things. Buy a brand new 1000 or next to new for say 10k. Prices vary - change that number if you want. Say you have an accident, to repair it could cost from 500 to the full cost of the bike... plus it's not mint anymore. You loose alot on intial purchase just leaving the lot. In the first few years it'll loose a thousand a year easy. Add some scratches and it's not worth all that much... resale stinks after what you paid for it.

Here's another option. Buy a used smaller bike. The 250 is ~1500 used, 3500 new. The ex500 used can be found for 2000. Heck, an older F1,F2 or maybe an F3 can be found for not much more.

So you buy the old bike and put that left over 7000 aside... then you ride the old bike for a year... maybe two years. Heck you may decide I don't want a newer bike - sometimes the most fun is had not going fast on a new bike, but flogging a smaller bike as hard as you can.

So you go and sell the old bike one day - and because it was already worth next to nothing, and there are always more beginners out there, you sell the thing for not less than half what you paid for it... ie the 250 you brought for 1500 is now worth maybe 1000. You lost tops 500. In the meantime, you weren't paying for the bigger bike. If you wrecked the older bike you're not out a many thousand dollars... it's a huge win. You now can buy a newer bike, less chance of dropping it, less chance of getting hurt while learning and you're financially way way further ahead.

For me money talks... I can't dump 10k on a bike just for fun. I buy the old bikes you're done with

Think through the options. In short:

- do you really need a 1000rr as a first bike
- can you really afford to get a 1000rr as a first bike
- why not save some money and get a smaller/older first bike
- you can learn alot from a smaller/older bike.

Just me... sorry for the long diatrab.

woot.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:54 PM

Mate, go out and get a cbr 250rr...First learn road skills and how to ride because you getting a 1000RR = Death!! These bikes are not for begginers, 90% of us boys here all started on smaller bike to find our feet before the litre bike!!..Yeah a 1000RR is awesome, but put simply your not ready sorry mate.

Quick Reply: ADVICE PLEASE: 600 or 1000?