04-07 vs 08-09 CBR 1000rr

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 02:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 04-07 vs 08-09 CBR 1000rr

I havent ridden the 08 model yet, so I cant really say from experience. But, everything I've heard or red about them is they are better. Honda is not going to put out a bike that the previous model was better, its just not going to happen. Materials and technololgy get better all the time so the end result is new usually does mean better in regards to performance and handling. However, new doesnt always mean more dependable.

But I guess the question would be is the cost difference worth it. In my opinion, probably not. At least not to me. My 1000RR has never let me down and handles awesome.

But, as much as I hate to admit.....and I hated the new bike so much, the new model is starting to look better to me.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:03 AM

Awsom paint on your windscreen.I know Im off subject but how do you

like your Z-bomb? I just got mine but havent had time to install it yet.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:28 AM

ORIGINAL: greenet

Awsom paint on your windscreen.I know Im off subject but how do you

like your Z-bomb? I just got mine but havent had time to install it yet.
Thanks...

The Z Bomb is awesome but you only feel above 10,000 RPM's. It pulls strong all the way to redline and remedies the "top end problem" that the CBR had in the comparison test with the ZX 10. With the Z Bomb, the CBR pulls stronger throughout the range than any other 08 model.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Camman

But my point is that most of you 08 owners. What are you going to say about the 2011 model.
That it will be better than our 08s. Hopefully Honda sacks up and brings out a V4supersport in 2010.

A Lot of people think that a newer bike is better just cause its new.
A lot of people are idiots. Having said that, newer usually (like 99% of the time) is better. That's what progress is all about. People that say the new bike isn't better are usually owners of the old bike and are just being defensive or they are referring to "looks" and that is purely subjective.

Well it was always told to me that the rider makes the bike.
Yes indeed the rider is the most important part of the equation. But we are talking bike v. bike not rider v. rider.

So you say 1000 isn't a 1000 bikes only change so much hp doest change that much.
Little changes can add up to a huge improvement. The small changes in geometry between my 04 and my 08 made a bike that wasill handling, slow to turn, and wouldn't hold a lineinto a awesome handling, quick turning, bike thatstays where you point it and doesn'twander towords the outside of the turn. Peak horsepower is the least important improvement in my opinion. Hell if it were strictly about peakhorsepower I wouldn't be ridinga Honda.

I say that a person that can ride that 04 and go against someone thatjust got 08 thinking its so much of a better bike, can look bad.Thats my point.
No argument here. But again we're talking bikes not riders.

ORIGINAL: WhiteKnite

It seems kind of pointless to argue exactly how much better it is because that is subjective.
Not really. I'd say going from an also ran in every mag shootout/review to the clear and decisive winner in most mag shootouts/reviews isn't subjective ... it's fact.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:48 PM

I have owned an 05 still own an 06 and an 08.... and it actually is a night and day whether ur going 30mph or 180 (granted u dont have teh limiter anymore ) there is a reason the 08 is a better bike ... its newer i mean 2 years in bike years is like 6 in car years. the only gripe i would have with the 08 is that it feels a little flatter, stock, at lower RPM than the 06... but ones u let it breathe, get the hell out of the way.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:56 PM
June 2009 ROTM

ORIGINAL: johnny444

It seems kind of pointless to argue exactly how much better it is because that is subjective.
Not really. I'd say going from an also ran in every mag shootout/review to the clear and decisive winner in most mag shootouts/reviews isn't subjective ... it's fact.
Well, the only reviews I actually go by are the UK mag SuperBike, and they actually said quite good things about the late model Honda. In fact the '06 got second to the gixxer by just a bit and they mentioned for heavier riders it could be #1.

Anyway thats beside the point... the fact that the '08 wonalmost every shootout doesn't "prove" anything about how much better it is and how much the improvements areworth to an individual rider. It is still subjective taking all things into account like price and looks, "how much" better meaning whether it is worth it to buy a new bike yet.

Also with the right suspension settings you can pretty much eliminate any tendency of the old bike to not hold a line or head wide. In fact in most reviews the cornering stability and actually holding a line were usually considered to be its strong points. The problem was an initialreluctance to turn for smaller riders who had to muscle aroundthe slightly heavier bike.

Anyway I'm not trying to justify my decision to anyone, I'm just stating my reasons for sticking with the old bike since this is an old vs. new thread. Besides I haven't completely ruled out getting an '09, I'm certainly going to check them out once they hit my dealership next month. I'd hate to pick one up though and see next year they fix the things I don't like.

I do agree about the V-4 but I'd rather see it in a 1000 rather than SS.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:49 PM

Well, the only reviews I actually go by are the UK mag SuperBike
Quite a limited scope. I read all the reviews - mag and online - and take an average.

they actually said quite good things about the late model Honda. In fact the '06 got second to the gixxer by just a bit and they mentioned for heavier riders it could be #1.
As a street ride?

Anyway thats beside the point... the fact that the '08 wonalmost every shootout doesn't "prove" anything about how much better it is and how much the improvements areworth to an individual rider.
In the previous posts we were discussing the bike not what a rider's preferences were. In that case the 08 is vastly improved. From an average 3rd-4th place bike amongst the Big 4 to a solid first place cannot be called subjective improvement.

Also with the right suspension settings you can pretty much eliminate any tendency of the old bike to not hold a line or head wide. ... The problem was an initialreluctance to turn for smaller riders who had to muscle aroundthe slightly heavier bike.
We have had different experiences then. I had the bike set up for my weight and it still would run wide. I am 6'2" and 250 lbs. so the muscling a "slightly heavier bike" wasn't the problem.

I do agree about the V-4 but I'd rather see it in a 1000 rather than SS.
When I posted supersport, I meant the class (supersport, sport tourer, tourer) not the racing class. I wouldn't buy a V4 VFR is what I was getting at."Superbike" class supersport at or near 1000cc for me.

Let us agree to disagree. [sm=bicker.gif] [sm=icon_cheers.gif] [sm=burnout.gif]

Old 12-11-2008, 06:44 PM
June 2009 ROTM

ORIGINAL: johnny444

Let us agree to disagree. [sm=bicker.gif] [sm=icon_cheers.gif] [sm=burnout.gif]
Yeah, I think we are starting toget into semantics .

If they end up selling the pearl white '09 here in Korea I may end up looking back at these posts disagreeing with myself anyway lol. The repsol is looking pretty good too. I'malso gettingcurious about the new R1, though I would prefer Honda... I bet it will sound amazing with aftermarket exhaust.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:38 PM

Everyone is turning this into an argument I just wanted reasons why yours is better...Rojerlockless I dont want threads from immature children and dumbass comments on how i dont have a bike. All 3 of my bikes would leave your ***** bike behind....stick to the gay boy band and lesbian ***** and ill stick to riding..ignorant kids in this forum **** me off. I post a thread to get opinions and all kids want to do is talk ****.......GET A FCKING LIFE....

Old 12-11-2008, 07:40 PM

And speaking of the new R1 the 09 GSXR is not too shabby I just dont know about the modes on the bike and how effective that is in various driving conditions.

Quick Reply: 04-07 vs 08-09 CBR 1000rr