CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Why do you ride a Hurricane?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my first CBR1000F this spring as a part exhange on a bike that i rebuild and "customised" last winter. I thought that i would sell it straight away, but after a first ride i was sold. The bike is like a train, runs like a angel, and has enought power to make a man smile even if hes feeling down. (not like the loud and hairy cafe racer we have built but still). This summer i toured around Europe on a Ducati Monster, and still it was a moment of joy to come home to my old trusty CBR.. Great bike,and a good tourer... Did some 15000 kilometers this summer, next summer it will done much more after the bikes been customized and tuned up to sound like a real bike and not a sewing machine. And the funny part is that my dad (60-year-old-classic-biker) borrowed it once this spring for just a quick test-drive, and now even he has one. So it must be a great bike if the sworn
naked cafe racer ride buys one after first ride... So that my story from Finland... Lets all keep them CBRs rolling...

Old 11-17-2011, 08:08 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great story man...... how true it all is in every way and then some

Welcome to all things CBR1000F

Old 11-18-2011, 12:28 PM

thnx sprock... its nice to feel welcome in CBRforum...

Old 12-12-2011, 07:26 AM

Heres the full story of why I ride a 1000F.

I was at the local dealership, having arrived on my CBR250R. It was an '89 model gray import - with the full 45hp at a heady 16,250rpm - and a lovely thing to ride. I'd had a few bikes before it and had also recently gotten my unrestricted licence. The only downside was that it was very physically small for my 6'2"/90kg frame. I was after a bigger, faster, more comfortable bike! I was also fairly short of cash, so had a shortlist of late-80's and early-90's bikes I was keen on.

I had been eyeing off a lonely GSX-1100EF a friend-of-a-friend had in the shed, and went down to the local Honda shop to see if they had anything better. They showed me a rather delapidated looking CBR1000F, 1987 model. Aftermarket cans, rattle-can black and a $3000 pricetag. Jokers, I thought, but I asked for a testride anyway as I'd never really ridden a large, powerful bike before.

Throwing my leg astride, I thumbed the starter and was greeted with a throaty growl that then settled down into a muted burble... accompanied by a rattle from what I thought might be the camchain. Sweet jesus... oh well... lets give her a go. And off we went.

Handling wasn't bad considering she was nearly twice the weight of my little 250, and the lowdown power was very nice. What I really revelled in was the comfort of the bike - the roomy knee dents, plush seat and natural posture. I knew right away I liked it, and this was confirmed again after a brush with 2nd gear and 10,000rpm on the outskirts of town.

After I'd calmed down I took her through my 'handling test', a nice little S-bend on a quiet road in town that is a hoot to hit at about 80~90kmh. She performed flawlessly!

I rode her back to the dealership where she was returned with a grin to the guys at the counter. I couldn't afford her so I went of to the friend-of-a-friend and bought the GSX-1100EF instead.

Fast forward to about 6 months later and I'd sold the GSX - in itself a nice enough bike but beset with the problems of long-term storage. The joker hadn't run her up and the bores had most likely rusted, at least thats what I figured by the prodigious oil consumption. With her sold for almost what I paid for her, I was on the hunt again...

Remembering my ride on the CBR1000F, and also my many happy, trouble-free times on the CBR250R, I searched the 'net for used CBR1000F's. Turned out there were a fair few, so I signed into my eBay account on my phone during the lulls between customers at the pub that evening. I missed the bid on one by a scant few dollars... then a winner came up!

She was red and black, 50-something thousand kay on the clocks and being sold for a song by a dealership in Syndey - just 2 hours north. Apart from the battery she was apparently fine, with only one previous owner. I frantically hit the 'Buy Now!' button and a few days later handed over $2000 in cash for my new ride.

After registration and insurance she was on the road, performing flawlessly. The battery was replaced and a coolant leak turned out to be an over-long breather tube, which was quickly fixed. The big test was a 2000km hoot through the Melbourne hills and across the Western plains before returning home - again no worries! This was definitely a bike to keep.

So... thats my story. I'm a very happy CBR1000F owner, and despite sometimes wanting a lighter, faster or more frugal ride... I always remember that very few bikes indeed will do as many things as well as this one does. They really are a marvelous machine, and I'm proud to own one.

Cheers guys - boingk

Last edited by boingk; 12-12-2011 at 07:29 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:30 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

My sentiments entirely Boingk. Thanks for putting into words what my heart tells me about my old girl every day. She's for keeps.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:41 AM

It was free........

Old 12-31-2011, 09:49 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 67msarge
It was free........
That's nice but it's a 600 correct ?

Old 01-29-2012, 08:37 AM

I bought a CBR750F Hurricane which was a Californian import, I gave that to my mate after his wife died from a brain tumour and bought myself a 1000F to replace it.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Default My Hurricane

My buddy had a 1988 Hurricane 1000F sitting in the garage for five years following it being laid down on the freeway. Finally, he offered to sell it to me: $200! With a fluid change/flush, new tires, new plugs, fork rebuild, and the cosmetics I have a Beautiful smooth bike for under a thousand! The only problem is that every now and then it will kick out of gear if over 5000rpm. I changed the oil and it stopped. Then after 100 miles it started doing it again. But only if I really push it. Im hoping not a bent fork, maybe just a loose chain or something. We'll see. Til then, enjoy the weather and ride safe!

Quick Reply: Why do you ride a Hurricane?