CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

wheres the oil leak ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remove all the side panels, clean the engine as much as you can, then either let it idle and look for the leak or take it for a spin and see where the leak is coming from. These bikes are so covered up that you have to put at least a little effort/work or else you'll never find it.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:18 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Two thoughts come to mind
1 The tappet cover
2 The stator cover
I've had both leak and run down inside the fairing and out near the rear wheel.
It could of course be any of the others as mentioned above in other posts too.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:29 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Imo000 say's you've got to at least get the fairings off and a clean bike (not covered in oil), will make it easier to trace the leak.

About a year ago I had a leak on the rocker covers of my car , the oil went down the engine and all over the gear box , making it look like a leak there! Remember you got the wind from riding blowing the stuff everywhere , at 100mph it aint going to go straight down , it's gonna go horizontal.

So strip , clean and ride

Old 05-11-2009, 08:49 AM

all fairings are removed and the engine has been cleaned. the oil seems to be coming through where the water pump enters the engine casings. i have replaces the water pump and o ring and all seems to be sealed well. it normally wont start to leak untill i have coverd 4 or so miles. its allmost like there is something causing the oil to be pushed out when im using the bike poss to much pressure in the engine all though the oil level is fine. though it could be the electronic breather valve playing up causing extra pressures inside so this was replaced but did not cure the problem. changed spark plugs etc while i was there and could not see and signs or laking around the rocker cover as said before it is appearing by the water pump area. hope this extra info might help. many thanks for the replies matt.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:20 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

Matt you said it leaks after 4 miles or so , is this from cold start? It could just be that things are warmed up enough for the tolerances in the engine to have loosened up.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:10 AM

Has the bike ever fallen over on its left side ?
There's a seal on the stator which may be leaking, and it's right next to the waterpump.
There's also a seal on the end of the crankshaft in the same area which may be the culprit...........

Old 05-12-2009, 02:44 PM

i allways let the bike warm up prior to riding so. had a look today and it seems as if the oil may be appearing elsewhere to the oil pump then running around it giving me the impression it was the water pump. how easy is it to replace the stator seal ? checked the out put shaft where the front sprocket goes and all is clear there and the gear shifter seems quite unlikly to as i could not see much oil there its more on the engine casings itself. many thanks matt.

The following users liked this post:
KnightRider212 (03-21-2023)
Old 05-12-2009, 11:25 PM

Removing the stator cover is 3 bolts, but you have to remove the clutch slave unit, left fairing too. I suggest you look in the manual - see the technical section. It's just time consuming.Look in the previous posts too - there's plenty to read there.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:11 AM

i have just ordered a new stator gasket or generator cover gasket as its known here. you say 3 bolts. looks more like 9 to me. had a good look yesterday after a good 25 mile ride and there is a good chance that it is the stator/generator cover took it slow yesterday mainly along small back roads to avoid the wind blowing the oil across the engine. matt.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by matt_666
i have just ordered a new stator gasket or generator cover gasket as its known here. you say 3 bolts. looks more like 9 to me. had a good look yesterday after a good 25 mile ride and there is a good chance that it is the stator/generator cover took it slow yesterday mainly along small back roads to avoid the wind blowing the oil across the engine. matt.
Nope - def only 3 bolts to remove the cover (done it half a dozen times)
There's a bearing in the top of the cover so be careful to remove it straight or you run the risk of breaking the edge of the cover - lever it off CAREFULLY they are over $200 if you crack it or break a piece out.

here's the cover
http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_sectio...1991&fveh=3021

Last edited by Shadow; 05-13-2009 at 11:15 AM.

Quick Reply: wheres the oil leak ???