CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

What Would You Do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again, more than you want to know, but...

This thread got me shopping again. But to kill the ending, I came full circle and am more committed than ever to my lovely Hurricane.

I'm really not up on Sport or Sport Touring Bikes like I should be. So I just did a bunch of searches on Wikipedia to get the general background and then CycleTrader to see what competitive Hondas were out there within 250 miles. Then I started looking at the pictures here for each type of Honda, sticking with liter bikes and thereabouts.

VFR, 900, 929, RC51, 954, Blackbird, Fireblade..1999 through 2005, injected, LCD guages, twins, hyper sport ..... Then the prices get to "Why not a new bike?"

Then I stare at all the pictures of all the different models. I just love the look of a Hurricane. I love the riding position. I love the mass (yes I do). It's a beautiful combination of elegant and macho. I think I'm going out in the garage and give it a hug right now (as we are in a thunderstorm so the satellite TV is searching for a signal).

I bet you have all done this repeatedly. Just slap me next time.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:00 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bet you have all done this repeatedly.
What? Hug the 'Cane?
I don't. We don't cuddle.... I'm more of "wham, bam, thank you ma'am" type of guy... LOL..

Of the bikes you listed there, I'd definitely like to get my hands on a 929. I like those bikes. For kinda different reasons, though.

As far as the bird/cane debate.... I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:33 AM

Owner never called back and I had this in my mailbox this morning-

Sorry, but the craigslist user address you recently mailed (sale-v3yk9-1352397462@craigslist.org) does not seem to be valid. It could be you're trying to respond to a very old posting, or that the user has not requested anonymous email forwarding. Please check the address and try again.

Like I said, I can't fault what I have now so I'll keep her and keep riding! I put new brake pads on yesterday, ordered tires last night, installing H4 bulbs today. It worked itself out!

Originally Posted by JHouse
I've tried to quit looking at ads for just this reason. It drives me crazy. If I could, I'd fill the darn garage up. Then I'd call myself a "collector".
Ditto. Bikes are like women to me. I still like to look even though the one I have is most awesome!

Last edited by DaoJones; 09-06-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:34 AM

there you go..fate made the best choice. but so you know,the BB is my next bike..but i did not now about the tyres.and i hug my cane..anyway something like that...lol

Old 09-06-2009, 12:28 PM

Since it's free, there are a fair amount of fake postings on Craigslist. Plus, also since it's free people usually jack up their prices because it doesn't hurt to wait for a sucker.

And now that it's gone, and it's just us chickens here, I will say that I think that BBs aren't quite as "spot on" in the looks department. A little too bulbous. Reminds me of the looks of the old Ford Taurus.

Last edited by JHouse; 09-06-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:13 PM

Since it's free, there are a fair amount of fake postings on Craigslist. Plus, also since it's free people usually jack up their prices because it doesn't hurt to wait for a sucker.
You got that right! These are two emails I received on another bike I was interested in a few weeks ago. If I can't hand you the money and you hand the title to me, it ain't gonna happen!! Glad I got one that'll serve me well for the forseeable future.

Hi,

the bike is in great condition, has been properly maintained, has never been laid down or abused in any way. it has a clean title and the price I'm selling it for is $2900, which is including all charges.

I used to live in Four Points but I'm currently working in the UK (London) and I'll be moving here permanently within the next few months and I can't afford the luxury of taking the bike with me so I decided to let it go.

I'm using a privately-held company called Storacar Ltd. vehicle storage to sell this bike, I left it at their warehouse before leaving to the UK. they are supervising the entire sale process from payment, shipping with a 14-day inspection period, title transfer service or/and (if needed) returns and refunding.

if you want to purchase it, let me know and I will explain you how the company works and how we can move forward.

----------------

Hi again,

the bike is being stored in Montgomery at Storacar Ltd. warehouse, the title and all paperwork is along with the bike in their possession. they usually deliver the vehicles with a 14-day return policy right after the payment is confirmed, for inspection and to pick it up instead of have it delivered you have to schedule an appointment, and it could take up to 3 weeks until you have it set which is a timeframe that I'm not comfortable with.

I'm paying some fees each passing day and I would rather take advantage of their sale policy, so if you want to purchase it let me explain you how they work and how we can proceed:

in order to start the official transaction I need your full name and delivery address, I forward it to Storacar vehicle storage and they will notify you with all the instructions (payment, shipping, return policy etc.).

one of their agents will be assigned to receive and handle payment. you would have to transfer the funds to their agent as per their email directions and when the payment is complete, you have to send them the transfers information, they verify it, deposit the purchase amount in their trust account then start the shipping process and you should be getting the bike in about 48 hours after the payment was confirmed. you will have a 14-day return policy starting with the day you receive the bike, so you will have the chance to test and inspect it before funds are released. if you decide to keep it, they have the Power of Attorney so they will transfer the title into your name and release me the funds, if not they will be responsible for the return shipping and you will have a complete refund within 3 days.

anyway, they will explain you detailed the entire process.
if you want to purchase it, I will be waiting your email so we can get started.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:03 PM

So they've found a flannelmouthed way of talking you out of looking at the bike, and hurrying up and giving them the money first. And then what if, just maybe, because you are dealing with a principal and an agent, they each claim the other one has the money and that the other one must have cheated you, and their hands are tied. I wonder....

Old 09-06-2009, 04:00 PM

So they've found a flannelmouthed way of talking you out of looking at the bike, and hurrying up and giving them the money first. And then what if, just maybe, because you are dealing with a principal and an agent, they each claim the other one has the money and that the other one must have cheated you, and their hands are tied. I wonder....
Sounds about right! I'm an easy 3 hour drive from where he claimed the bike was stored. I wonder how many excuses they could come up with if I offered to ride over and take a look first.

Originally Posted by SamkFL
there you go..fate made the best choice. but so you know,the BB is my next bike..but i did not now about the tyres.and i hug my cane..anyway something like that...lol
Given time, things often resolve themselves don't they? I'm going to stop thinking about my next bike and ride the bejeezus out of the one I have!!

Old 09-06-2009, 04:55 PM

That's a huge horsepower bump and newer and a fuelie probably has several advantages.

Am I to understand that Canes are more upright than the BB? So you need risers (or VFR bars) to get back to "normal" (rather than "surf board paddling")?
It's not just the horsepower hike - the blackbird is lighter and mass centralised so it feels even lighter.

YES - the blackbird is a little more sport than the huricane when it comes to sport tourer.
A pair of VFR800vtec bars sorts it out nicely.