CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 01:39 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well , it's the sh!tiest day of the year here so far .....sideways rain , 15 foot waves down
at the beach (scary) anyways stripped my baby right down , took all her clothes off
cleaning everything chain, arm, every nook and cranny, new oil, coolant, orings left
and right still waiting on a 46 tooth rear sprocket for a new gearing setup I plan on
running next 16 / 46 for the twisties in May

Last edited by Sprock; 03-14-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well today was not too bad here 10 degrees c.( we work in all that metric crap since we joined the eu). So I took the front mudguard/fender off and removed both front calipers ready to fit new seals now that they have arrived. I`ll get down to it after taking the dogs out. Excuse my rant yesterday I was more than a little teed off.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:52 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sprock, the weather has been real bad here, too. Raining for the last few days.
I've still got my CBR all torn apart, too. I found a little surface rust spot on top of the swingarm while I was swapping tires/sprockets, so I cut it down and hit it with some gray 2k epoxy sealer primer. It actually turned out way better than I expected. Real hard stuff.

Excuse my rant yesterday I was more than a little teed off.
Steve, I woulda been pretty upset, too. No need to apologize. I was actually gonna contact him today and ask if the exhaust would be suitable for my kid's flat tracker...

Old 03-15-2010, 03:14 PM

Sunday was my first good ride out on my CBR. I just took it steady and went via Stanhope to Alston and a coffee at The Hartside Cafe (still snow drifts on the road side BRRRRR)
I came back to Alston then down past High Force to Barnard Castle, to Richmond then Home to wash her and lock up till next time 115 miles very nice.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:21 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's awesome, Rob!! Great feeling, isn't it?

Old 03-16-2010, 02:32 PM

Yes its great to be out on the bike. Also the clocks go forward soon so will be able to get out after work in the evenings.

Im thinking of visiting the "Milk Bar in Sherburn" near Leeds, HAS ANYONE BEEN? any tips. I think its all meet on a Wednesday evening.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:40 PM

Today I decided to have a go at fitting new seals in my front calipers. I removed the right hand one got the pistons out. And removed the old seals. Cleaned out the bores, put silecone grease on the seals, and fitted them in the correct positions in the caliper bore. Could I get the pistons in? Could I fxxx tried the twisting motion whilst applying pressure as per the Haynes manual. tried a clamp no way hosay. So after 4 attempts and screwing up 4 dust seals which cost £25 for 4 fluid seals and 4 dust seals. I threw the caliper at the back of the shed! Put the tools away and ordered a used caliper off ebay for £25 with a no binding pistons guarantee.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:07 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It doesn't seem fair sometimes. All the heartache and dents in the shed wall, and a good'un for the same price as the spares. Pffft - just shows how we get ripped off for spares. 60 pounds I paid for float bowl gaskets - bought a complete set of carbs for 10 pounds a couple of years back - hell I needed a set of air correction jets, so I bought another complete set of carbs for, believe it, 5 pounds, and had them sent to Scotland where my mate took out the air correction screws and had an almost complete set of carbs for spares. Makes you think......................

Old 03-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

I have always wanted some thing to add to the gages so I can keep an eye on my battery. I did have the intentions on getting the one like Sprock put on his bike. But I have the TIME on my GPS, and I am outside so I know the temp. So I found this on PARTS UNLIMITED.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:34 PM

Rode it to work today. Finally! 16 miles of pure highway, what my Cane seems to like the most. just before I got to work, I had this nice warm feeling of what a wonderful bike it has been. It made me smile without even twisting the throttle!

Quick Reply: What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?