CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 03:57 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Poor old girl has been neglected lately .
New wheel bearings front and rear , new brake discs front and rear , new tyres ( Perelli Diablo Rosso 2 )
New plugs also .
Rode like dream. Bloody hot day , forgot how much heat this old girl pushes all over the rider.
Of course I was thrashing the hell out of her .

Old 12-28-2017, 04:52 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Too hot. You all hear that in the Northern Hemisphere........it's just not fair.
Today, 'up in these parts' it is -2, there is a heap of black ice today on the roads and the bikes are safely tucked up. Biking here is like the camping season....too short.
Enjoy your ride outs.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:44 PM

Haha , yep sorry about that guys . I'm a bit of a fair weather rider now days too .
I couldn't tell you the last time I rode in the rain or even under 10C .
I will however still ride in 35 to 40C . But then I tend to go for the Beemer, it doesn't poach
my nuts at the same time .

Old 01-04-2018, 05:04 PM

Coil stick project parts are getting gathered. I will post as soon as I get parts in and the project finished. Right now is too cold in Dallas. 20's*F to work in an unheated garage.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:11 PM

Yep , I haven't done the stick coil conv to mine yet .
I should've taken up the offer Naga offered to make me up a set .
By all accounts , a very worthwhile addition. Let us know what you think of yours .

Old 01-05-2018, 12:56 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I did it on mine, seems to run smoother, goes like the wind, but I ll tell you what made it even better was replacing the regulator rectifier, as the old one was the original.
Try to solder any terminals and heat shrink open joints.
Mike

Old 01-05-2018, 01:47 AM

Replaced my reg/rec a few years ago . But I suspect that the original coils and leads , although working fine at the moment , would pale in comparison to a stick coil set up .

Old 01-05-2018, 04:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok. What's a stick coil? And what are the differences between the standard and stick? These (well I think) are new to me lol

Old 01-05-2018, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll take a stab at this: Since 12V isn't nearly enough to generate an arc on a spark plug, we need to condense the voltage way up to get a spark. That's what the ignition system is responsible for

Back in the day, before we had boatloads of cheap electronics in everything, they had to use a mechanical system to generate ignition, generally a points and condensor arrangement. I've got one on my '79. Purely mechanical and very simple but higher maintenance since those things all wear out over time

Modern engines use electronic ignition, which does the same job, but using electronics instead of mechanical contacts. An example is the simple digital system that the Hurricane came with, where the pulse generators send signals to the spark unit, which passes those signals on to the two ignition coils responsible for stepping that voltage way up to give us our spark

You can spot either of these systems by the thick wires leading to the spark plugs. Those thick wires are necessary because of all the extra volts coming off the distributor/ignition coils, but they are also failure prone, and often come apart in your hand when you're trying to check the plugs. Annoying and expensive to replace.

Stick coils connect directly to the spark plugs and instead of thick leads you just have a pair of standard low-voltage wires plugged into each stick. They do the job of the ignition coil, but in a much smaller package. More consistent spark, and arguably more reliable. Definitely neater and more convenient. Also super easy to troubleshoot. Saves a few grams too, if you're the type to keep track

I did the mod for about the cost of a set of wires and it works great. I don't expect it to perform better, but I figure it'll save trouble in the long-term

Old 01-05-2018, 06:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So basically it's a coil pack and lead in one

Quick Reply: What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?