CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

What does it feel like when your steering bearings start to wear

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 05:27 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I guess that's about the end of this thread is it Steve?

Funny, I was just begining to think about bringing $60k's worth of robotic theodilite home from work to check my wheel alignment bit I'm now thinking that's probably a bit overkill aye?

PS : Like when talking to Germans I promise not to mention the ...

Last edited by kiwi TK; 06-14-2011 at 05:29 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:29 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Getting back slightly to the point of all this, I got some string out last night and checked wheel alignment. After careful set up I measured about 4 mm misalignment at the front wheel.

I'm confused.................how would you use a movable object to determine whether another object (which is fixed), is straight or not ???????????????
In other words, why not check, using whatever method, string, theodolite, etc etc THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE CENTRE OF YOUR REAR AXLE, AND THE MAIN BOLT HOLDING YOUR SWINGARM IN PLACE.

Surely this will be a more accurate measurement than using the front wheel, which can wobble about all over the place. ?

Your comments, oh brainstrust......................... please.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:02 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You run the string off the FRONT of the front tire, then back along the sides of it. When you pull it back to your rear tire it should run parallel to the sides of both tires.

So, you do need to ensure the front tire is aligned with the main axis of the bike. That's step one. (The whole string method is also dependent on the front-end having been trued already.)

Ern

Old 06-16-2011, 01:03 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve,

after seeing your major ranting a couple of days ago I decided I shouldn't reply until I had some kind of protection so I write this with my laptop in a fume cabinet, bullet proof glass between me and the screen! he he...! (nervous laugh).

Anyway, the wheel alignment thing is a good twist for this thread to take. Many views, many methods, all with the same aim.
Your how to is great. Thanks for taking the time to do that one.

Now a little anecdote from a couple of days ago.
With my top box loaded with passenger gear after dropping my daughter to school I was tooling along some lovely country roads, came to a nice sweeping but fairly tight turn, braked, leaned in and the next thing I knew my bars were slaping back and forth. Sheeeeet!
I straightened up fractionally, braked as hard as I could and just about scraped round the bend with my front wheel in the gutter. Under pant changing time!
Anyway, the rest of the ride wasn't good. I felt really uncomfortable about the bikes handling. As soon as I got home I took the box off and gave the bike a good hammering round some more twisty roads and it was damned near perfect.

So. What now.
This has never happened before. The old Metzlers never struggled while carrying the same sort of weight although they didn't have same over all level of grip.
It could just be that the new Dunlop Q2's are not quite the ticket for carrying weight. They've got 3,000 miles on them over about 5 weeks so possibly as they're wearing in they may be changing characteristics.
That's just my thoughts about the possibility that the tyres are causing the problem or a part of it.

What's terrible though is the prospect of not being able to carry any weight on the back. That sucks. It's just not an option for me. The bike has to be mule too.

Thoughts gents.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:46 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've never run Dunflops on my bike (if you lived here you wouldn't either unless you wanted to be laughed out of the parking lot)
Having said that, the Metzelers which I'm running are known to take a while to heat up....and have been known to wobble a bit when cold.
I wonder if it was just a case of "cold edges" on the Dunflops ?
It has caught out enough Moto GP guys and others on warmup laps - we can't be immune to this without tyre warmers, colder weather (most of us) etc etc.

I do agree with Steve-o (allo Mate) and would add that the Dunflops, while purporting to be good ON LIGHTER BIKES don't do well on heavy girls like ours. They are inclined to wear on the edges, as they don't like the weight and wear out quickly. Don't forget a 1000RR is 70KG's or 150 pounds ! lighter sitting at the curb than our fat ladies. And I for sure wouldn't fit them even to one of those....
Sounds like a combination of "squirm" under the weight, and a bit o' wear and some spirited "Enry style" underpants wrecking cornering with a bit of increased centre of gravity upward movement from the luggage load.

My tuppence worth.............

Quick Reply: What does it feel like when your steering bearings start to wear