CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Weird noise in sprocket area

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 12:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Weird noise in sprocet area

did you try running it with the chain off to see if the noise may be caused by the chain or sprocket?

Old 12-25-2008, 02:01 PM

Also look at the speedometer drive. The plastic socket that fits on the sprocket nut can round-out and spin on the nut. The cable can be dry, have a burr, or a crack. And the mini transmission from the plastic socket to the cable drive can go bad. It's all right next to the sprocket and can sound like a bad sprocket.

Old 12-25-2008, 02:50 PM

ORIGINAL: kaska

Before changing them there where no noise.

But now much must it float. about 2 mm on mine case - isnt it too much?
No, the2 mm is normal.

Old 12-25-2008, 02:55 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Only other things I can think of would be if the pitch of the chain is wrong for the sprockets, or maybe a hub carrier bearing.......[X(]

Old 12-26-2008, 04:26 AM

Thanks guys the crancase stays toghether for now i think.
But also it means that i cant do pretty much anything until the white slippery thing on ground melts and i be able to to some test drives
So i can use my long holiday for something else

Old 06-05-2011, 06:11 PM

Greetings to everyone. My first post in this forum, bad it has to be this one.

As a new owner of this excellent bike i encotered into a problem after riding 600km. At lower RMP's and decelerating (1500~2000) I began to hear a bit rattling coming near the drive sprocket (didn't feel much while driving). First thought that it may be caused by loosen chain/sprocket etc. But after testing her on a center stand, seems that the problem is a lot worse and amplifies with the rear wheel up and spinning at idle speed with higher gears (tested with first and second).

After removing the drive sprocket it seems that the countershaft's bearing is in good shape and shouldn't be the cause of this kind of behavior.
In my thought next thing is the gearbox mainshaft's bearing (2) total failure which is causing it to move in its socket. While on stand, the vibration and noise disappears after ~2000 rmp so it would be a possible explanation that after that point the shaft centers itself. But it could be a lot of another deal, so waiting for your response and thoughts.
Without the drive sprocket (and reduced counter resistance caused by the rear wheel) the vibration/noise is much weaker. Appears no mechanical resistance/anything loose while moving the gearbox by hand on neutral. Might be the one, what was causing the humming noise in this thread, but I didn't notice it before.

YouTube - ‪CBR 1000F gearbox noise‬‏
YouTube - ‪Honda CBR 1000F gearbox noise 2‬‏

As you can see in the second video it's all quiet at higher speeds.

Last edited by yllar21; 06-05-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:52 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try new sprockets front and rear and a new chain with the correct tension.

ALL 1000F's running without any load on the chain while on a center stand will make a racket ! always !
........ so testing it that way will lead to nothing ( s'why you heard nothing while riding as you said)

Looking at your vid ....... the chain is stretched worn and binding and the sprockets
more than likely are also same worn condition in my opinion

But not knowing the history or further maintenance details .....using the vid is merely a good guess !

Last edited by Sprock; 06-05-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:46 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree, it sounds like the chain is stretched and dry. When the chain gets dry it stretches. The stretched chain will have a different pitch than the sprockets. The spacing of the rollers on a stretched chain will cause it to want to climb up on the teeth of the sprockets. This will cause a lot of noise, more with a dry chain as a dry chain will not have the damping of the lub and the sound will carry.

If you replace the chain, both sprockets need to be replaced as well.

Also, a worn chain may not be stretched but it could have side play. Rear wheel alinement would have to be dead nuts with a chain that has side play. Check to see if both alinement marks are the same on both sides.

If you loosen the alinement bolts to give the rear wheel a lot of slack, there should be little side play in the chain.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 06-05-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:55 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

**** me! I thought kaska and R1 were back.
I miss those guys.

But yeah... do like TBT and sprock said.
And welcome to the site.

Quick Reply: Weird noise in sprocket area