CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   Weird noise in sprocket area (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/weird-noise-sprocket-area-84911/)

kaska 12-25-2008 04:06 AM

Weird noise in sprocket area

Happy holidays!

At the end of the last season i got new interesting symptoms on my hurricane.
A humming or howling noise coming from countershaft sprocet area.
The noise started around 60-70 kph and went on until the wind noise killed it for me:)

I have looked some blueprints and thought about it a while and as much as i know only thing that can make that sound is worn bearing on countershaft next to output sprocet.
Now have enyone ever had to deal something like this?

I am thinking to take the bike apart during the long season and still hoping to do this while the engine is on frame, alltough this time i dont believe it is possible:)

So have enyone took apart the hurricanes crancase and have any good pointers?

94cbr600kid 12-25-2008 04:38 AM

RE: Weird noise in sprocet area

just another question..Are you sure its not coming from your chain like your chain is loose?

CBRclassic 12-25-2008 06:11 AM

ORIGINAL: kaska
Happy holidays!
At the end of the last season i got new interesting symptoms on my hurricane.
A humming or howling noise coming from countershaft sprocet area.
The noise started around 60-70 kph and went on until the wind noise killed it for me:)
I have looked some blueprints and thought about it a while and as much as i know only thing that can make that sound is worn bearing on countershaft next to output sprocet.
Now have enyone ever had to deal something like this?
I am thinking to take the bike apart during the long season and still hoping to do this while the engine is on frame, alltough this time i dont believe it is possible:)
Yer ..no way to pull those babies out with out doing major surgery to the cases...they are pinned in I believe with snap rings , aside from the fact that they are squished very tight between the cases;) ,

Kas , my first thoughts are ....
have you checked your counter shaft adjustment?
have you checked your drive chain front sprocket for excessive wear (by removing it) ?

I would go right over the drive line with a fine tooth comb (have a close look;) )

I have not done a CBR but I have done other 4 inline 1000's before..
My only advice is to prepare somewhere really clean with plenty of space to layout all the parts as you dis assemble her..
Have good manuals ready for reference ..
and above all take your time mate ... trying to make mental notes as you go , to make it easier for you as you put her back together..

A good trick these days with digital cameras is to take 50+ photos of each step , for reference later during re assembly... it is so easy to forget stuff ... pics of the dis assembly on yu P/C can be a great help mate ...

hope you are having a nice Christmas too mate ..:D

Shadow 12-25-2008 06:16 AM

Check sprockets and chain for wear, as suggested. Clean and recoat chain with oil/wax.
I'd do that before checking anything else. A faulty wheel bearing/out of line wheel could cause the chain to be running offline - any offline running could cause a howling such as you describe.
Check the cheap options first, Kaspar !:D

kaska 12-25-2008 06:35 AM

the chain and sprocets are new, driven less than 1500km.
I noticed the problem first when i had tighten the chain a bit too much and loaded bike heavily. Thats because i tought i made too much axial force to bearing and it wore out. alltough as i looked the haynes manual at least 600 model has 6004 bearing in there which is the same as in front wheel so that is prettty good hard duty bearing and should not be so gentle.

Classic what do you mean by checking the countershaft adjustment?

The next step i am going to do, which is the first one also:D, is to remove the chain and trying with hand, can i shake the countershaft.
The pictures are mustbe anyway in my case as i am photographer:)

and Pete i try to start with the cheaper things at first:D

CBRclassic 12-25-2008 06:48 AM

Sorry mate ...wrong choice of word ( been a very long day here:eek: ) ....actually its the balancer shaft adjuster ..
Opposite (other side ) of your engine from the drive sprocket ..
nearly dead opposite..down low ..

Its in the manual clearly explained if you have one..
The balancer shaft can make weird noises if too tight ... or if its too loose..
Look it up and get back to us if you cant locate it..

kaska 12-25-2008 08:40 AM

Yes i know the balancer, but i dont think it can be it. Cos the problem is not related to engines rpm. I think its related to real output shaft speed. If i made a test on centerstand with whatever gear i accelerated and when the speed hits around 60-70kph the sound begins and still goes on even though the engine is idled. I tried on higher speeds also and it is still there even at 200kph - i did not dare to go any further speeds on centerstand:)
The whatever gear rules pretty much out a wore out gear srpocets in my mind so i tought i should be a bearing of outputshaft ???

kaska 12-25-2008 11:47 AM

Well by hand i did not make out any axial movement at all. Altough the sprocet on shaft did wiggle ( shake, move) a bit - is this normal?
The noise appeared soon after changing the sprocets and chain. And the front sprocet is 16 so not original?

I have not dealed with this kind of sprocets before, on russian made bikes the fasteners of sprocets where a bit different[&:]

R1000 12-25-2008 12:16 PM

ORIGINAL: kaska

Well by hand i did not make out any axial movement at all. Altough the sprocet on shaft did wiggle ( shake, move) a bit - is this normal?
The noise appeared soon after changing the sprocets and chain. And the front sprocet is 16 so not original?

I have not dealed with this kind of sprocets before, on russian made bikes the fasteners of sprocets where a bit different[&:]

Yes it is normal on the CBR 1000 F that the sprocket is floating; this is to ensure it will not unscrew the sprocket bolt. Stock front sprocket is 17 T.

Did the noise disappeared for a while after changing sprockets and chain?

kaska 12-25-2008 12:35 PM

Before changing them there where no noise.

But now much must it float. about 2 mm on mine case - isnt it too much?