Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Traffic Lights

i wonder if i could get that with the arms rotated 15 degrees

Old 10-23-2008, 12:07 PM

Spinning the starter motor? I never heard of that before. I usually don't have a problem tripping the sensors around here, but I'll keep this in mind the next time.

It really works, huh?

Old 10-23-2008, 01:06 PM

I work in the signals and systems section at peel region and can give a little insight on how and why motorcycles in general have hard time with inductive loops. Compared to other vehicles, motorcycles, more now than ever, have very little steel/iron in them. The inductive loops work on the principal of producing magnetic field and an object with a significant amount of steel/iron will disturb the field. This will be picked up by a loop detector and amplified then, the signal is sent to the traffic signal timer (grey cabinet at the corner of a signalize dintersection).

If the loop sensitivity is too low for motorcycles, it will need to be adjusted but unless someone (usually from the public) calls in with a complaint, no one will really know. Turning the sensitivity up too much creates a whole different set of problems too. When the sensitivity is turned up, so does the field around the loops, this can result in false detections by either the opposing direction or the adjacent direction (through or turning movement lanes). So in essence, its a delicate balance that needs to be met in order for the loops to work properly for all vehicles, including motorcycles. The problem is that unless the loop is tested for a motorcycle, it can not be guaranteed that it will work with one. The loops are usually set up to detect a motorcycle but their sensitivity can and often does deteriorate with age. Many times deteriorates just enough that it will not pick up a bike but a car will trip it without any issues.

So I strongly suggest to just call your local traffic department and tell them where and what time you experienced the problem. Since this is a serious safety issue, they will investigate it ASAP and make the appropriate changes/adjustments to the loops. If, for some reason, they are not cooperating, just get your local councillor involved…I guarantee the problem will be fixed in a matter of hours.

I hope this helps!

Old 10-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks IMO !
Would it help to place a magnet (from a tankbag, for example) in the bellypan section of the fairing/ mounted on the swingarm/etc etc - would this create enough field ?

Old 10-23-2008, 02:04 PM

ORIGINAL: TimBucTwo

These may work. It should trip the light, no road rash but tough on the body on the long hauls.

http://www.swordsandarmor.com/mall/s...ack_Knight.htm

Old 10-23-2008, 02:16 PM

about time we got an expert on the subject, man do i got some calls to make!!!!