CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Tires: I want Pilot Road 2s, but...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tires: I want Pilot Road 2s, but...

The hot alternative to Dunlop and Michelin at the track in Loudon, NH, this season have been Bridgestone BT014/016.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:55 AM

ORIGINAL: tallenuf

Anybody elsehere have experience with the Metzeler Roadtec Z6 tires? I seem to be the only one running them.
The Z6 were mounted on my bike when i bought it last summer, they've been working great...both on track and on the road.
When riding at trackdays you can press'em to the limit and i have not had a slip of grip once.[sm=smiley20.gif]
Now the rear tire is changed to Dunlop roadsmart (180) cause the Z6 was worn and the front will be changed soon to a Dunlop also.
My friend, R1000 tested them on his BBand was very pleased with them so i'm giving them a try/test also... so farthe rear tireis been handling great (two trackdays).

Testing onboardcameraon the bike at Sviestad in Sweden.(dont forgettowatch in high quality)
Not pushing it so hard on the long straight part due to instructions from the "track instructors". Anyway here's a link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCAo3HjNDCE

Old 09-07-2008, 04:42 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Blue1000F

I dont care what tires your using - that's senasation times at Linköping - seems like 1.15's!!!. What was your best time?

Thanks for the movie - what was the camera set-up?

Old 09-07-2008, 07:25 AM

Sorry, have not clocked my laps !
And on the videoclip i'm notpushing it at maximum...just trying tolearn to be as good as possible at every curve.
I'm driving in the average group and there are guys that are by far faster than me.
It's so damn fun driving at trackdays and you learn the handling of your bike at extreme cornering and hard breaking... i recommend it to all.

I use a home made camera mountthat is fastened around the fuelcap and the camera is a JVC Everio.I'm recording into the memorycard (micro SD) and not to the harddisc drive. When the memorycard is full i copy/empty it to the harddisc drive.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:15 PM

My Pilot Road 2s are in and will be ready to ride tomorrow. I went with a 170 rear since the bike is hard enough to flip back and forth already. I hadn't realized how much I'd worn the old front. I don't know why the left is so much more worn than the right.

Name:  fronttire.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  86.7 KB

Old 09-11-2008, 01:42 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

WOW ! Worn, you say.hooooooooooooo[X(][X(][X(]
I wouldn't run that tyre, can't believe you didn't drop the bike........
How many miles had it done ? This one's done over 7000 miles.....

Old 09-11-2008, 01:06 PM

According to the previous owner's notes they should have about 6800 miles on them I put the last 2000 on them. They're Dunlop Qualifiers. They had some cupping when I got the bike but I kept up the air pressure and they did OK. I do like to trail brake. The last ride on that tire was about 200 miles of fairly aggressive riding at times and I didn't have a problem at all. These radial tires are so much better than the bias ply from 20 years ago.

Now I have a PROBLEM. I was going to install the new rear and I don't have the left hand spacer (sprocket side). It was on the wheel when I took it into the shop so the guy who mounted the tire is supposed to call me. I'm sure it's not an expensive part but it grounds the bike and who knows how long it'd take to get a replacement. It's not like they sold a lot of these bikes in the US.

Name:  PR2newfronttire.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  45.2 KB

Old 09-11-2008, 01:23 PM

Ron Ayres has them for under ten bucks. Shouldn't be hard to find since apparently other bikes use the same spacer, including the Blackbird and at least some of the 600f's.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:55 AM

Thanks, pacojoseph. I looked the part up and it was used on both Hurricanes, the Blackbird and the 750 Shadow all the way to 2007. Maybe I'll get lucky and the dealer will have it in stock, or a local wrecker will have one of those bikes.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:52 AM

ORIGINAL: Shadow1

Tyre pressure and cupping will be the major cause of your front wheel not holding its line, as will worn steering head bearings. Any "clicking" in your steering under braking ?
I run my bike at 38PSI front, 42 rear, (so take yours up a bit -these are the rec solo pressures) and for her weight she's still fairly nimble, but as you said, hauling it through tight twisties can get tiring. Palm pressure can be alleviated by wearing gloves with gel or other palm inserts, or running padded/thicker grips - I wrap tape around my bars (about 4 layers) and then slide the grips over, because I have size XXL hands, and smaller grips make my hands cramp - they help a good deal, and reduce vibration and tingly fingers.
Sportmax qualifiers don't have very good tyre life, so this may be an added factor - they don't generally get more than around 4500 miles, and the fronts generally go well before the rears.
I'm always amazed at how little pressure it takes to turn this bike, especially if you hang off just a bit. (Nothing radical; just enough to get your cg to the inside of the bike's and your weight mostly on the inside peg.) I have a cramp buster on the throttle, and with that I find I hardly have to hold onto the bars at all. Tires are Pilot Road front and rear. They're so good I'm going directly to PR 2's the instant these tires wear out.

Craig

Quick Reply: Tires: I want Pilot Road 2s, but...