CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Tires: I want Pilot Road 2s, but...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 01:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires: I want Pilot Road 2s, but...

I get a good discount at a shop close by and I've pretty firmly decided that I want Pilot Road 2s. I had Pilot Powers and 2CTs on my last bike and I liked their grip and feel. And, I hear the Pilot Roads get decent mileage. I even considered a Pilot Road on the rear and a Pilot Power on the front.

Tonight I looked at the shop's web page and I didn't see Michelin listed as a vendor. Since I was so sure of what I was going to get I didn't do much (any) research into other brands. What tires are others using and like? I lean toward sports riding and have a track day coming up in a couple of months. I'd appreciate any thought or suggestions, especially from this group who've experienced riding on the bike with it's weight, LBS, etc.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:22 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Tires: I want Pilot Road 2s, but...

So find another vendor ! I can't speak highly enough about the Michelin PR2's - here's a pic of my rear tyre after nearly 7000 miles !! Note absence of chicken strips, and the fact that I'm nowhere near the tread limiters - should be good for 9500 - 10000 miles !Best I've ever had, sticks well in the wet, too, won an award for that. I'll be buying these from now on.....

Old 09-05-2008, 06:55 AM

Pilot Power if you're going to use it on the track often, but for sport riding on the road, the pilot 2's are the best option, as Pete said.
Have those right now on my bike, used to have "Dunflops" and it's a world of difference, grip, feel, handling, etc.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:02 AM

My bike shop says that the new pirelli's are great, anyone tried them yet. - don't know the model

Old 09-05-2008, 08:42 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had perellis on my civic hatch for a long time. Very good grip, but would wear out pretty quick. Then moved to bridgestone potenzas, very nice..lasted forever, but not so much grip. Then coopers because they were cheap. They were complete junk. Then on to Bridgestone Traction T/A. They were wonderful. Good grip and lasted a long time.

As far as the bike, I got the dunflop qualifiers. They were on sale. I like them, but haven't compared them to the R2s. With everyone's good reviews, though, I will most likely switch up next season. Not really impressed with the life of the qualifiers, either, but never felt they lacked grip....

Old 09-05-2008, 09:51 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dunflops will stick for a while, and not badly, but you'll be lucky to get 4000 miles out of them (7000K's)
Friend had them fitted on his bike a week after I bought mine - he had to replace the rear around March.....

Old 09-05-2008, 10:39 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's exactly what I'm seeing now....
Just aren't lasting at all.
I'll keep my eyes open for a set of the PR2's.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:51 PM

Anybody elsehere have experience with the Metzeler Roadtec Z6 tires? I seem to be the only one running them.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:51 PM

Have read elsewhere (reputable sources)that a Pilot Power 2 front and a Pilot Road 2 rear make a good combination for good turn-in on the front endand traction and longer tire wear on the rear.

I currently have Pilot Powers front and back and am very happy with them!

Old 09-05-2008, 06:48 PM

I to use the Michelinroad pilot 2 ft and rear.Theytamed the Tail of Dragon with no problems. Great mileage. Use to have Metzelers and no complaints with them, but like the Michelins better. May look at Brigstone tires, they were the winning tire of MotoGP last year and probably this year.

Quick Reply: Tires: I want Pilot Road 2s, but...