CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

time to sell?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default time to sell?

I was riding on Sunday and just couldn't get too excited about her performance. I must be getting jaded because this bike doesn't feel very fast. So, this morning I start looking at the Cycletrader for a possible replacement. The only things I see that still do it all are the VFR, and the ZX9R. There aren't alot of these bike around right now for sale, so I need some ideas from you guys on other bikes that I may not have thought of yet. BTW, I mentioned the idea of selling my bike to a friend and he wants to know when he can come get her. I'm not sure I'm ready for that just yet.

Old 05-16-2006, 01:17 AM
Default RE: time to sell?

How about the Blackbird? As for the VFR, the old 1000F is faster.

Old 05-16-2006, 10:03 AM

GSX1300-R Busa

[IMG]local://upfiles/2378/48A69A5B78D9444198D10858001AB86C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-16-2006, 11:02 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe her new man won't say such mean things to her. Even if you do keep her, she'll never forgive you for the VFR comment.

Old 05-16-2006, 08:18 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The VFR isn't that much faster in a straight line. In fact in a drag I can stay with my son on his VFR on my 1000F even though my bike has pounds on his and I have a good 40 pounds on my son. But the VFR lighter and probably better in the twisty stuff. Last fall I was feeling somewhat the same - the old gal just didn't have enough power. Over the winter she got new valves and the carbs gone through, then synched. The power is back. In fact, there's more than was there when I got it last spring. You might do a compression check and see what the engine is like. Not to say that the 1000F will stay with modern 600's, to say nothing of 1000's in a drag race. One keeps hearing, however, that an experienced rider on a 1000F can give less experienced riders on modern bikes a run for their money in the twisties.

If you aren't happy with it, though, it's probably time to sell and move on.

Old 05-17-2006, 09:19 AM

I tried the VFR and the VTEC gave me the ****s, especially when it kicks in mid corner in the wet.

Blackbird is very fast, but has a long reach to the handle bars and doesn't have the Ergonomics of the 1000F

I have ridden R1's the New CBR's etc and they are fun, but they are also very light which makes them flighty in the bumpy stuff, and they are also not as forgiving as the old flying sofa.

I would consider buying an aditional bike, but I will ride the 1000f until it spontaneously explodes ot sumething.

Old 05-21-2006, 04:50 AM

jet 1000, what kind of riding are you doing mostly? If it all staight line... but the zx9r, makes me think, you squid it up, too.... Is your bike in top tune?
I run a local canyon daily, and w/o restaint, it ends up,85 to 140+ for 15+ miles, truely sick, as alot of the corners are sugg. 40mph. and the 1000f, for a boat, Hauls !!!!!!!!!
I was feeling abit slow too... but after looking... it really is a killer all around bike, the ergos, power, and "reasonable" handling.
Try keeping it above 7500rpm. I do row the box, when I really push it...
If your say'n, YA, YA,.... than you might need a RR, or something sportyer... But for me, I think, a better rear shock, racetech fork internals, and proper suspention set up, are going to alow me to..."Hook and cook" just abit more, when the time comes... Meanwhile, I am learning technique and therory, and actualy practice, to become smoother, a real key, for me, to being fast, as it is a "sport tourer". Clean and free, Ripp'n
Ps. Read the blogs about the ( pre 04)'busa starter problems. And the locked tranys, when circlips fall out ,in the zx 11 and 12's (one of my choices), the incredable exspensive valve adjusts on vfr's. No wonder, your friend wants your 1000f !!!!!!!!!! TRIVIA QUESTION !!!!!! What is kawakers corperate motorcycle color?????

RED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "puke" green, is a color a custom painter in cali.( 70's) came up w/... properly called MOLLY GREEN, after him. So sad, I never painted my 80 kz1300 bagger, "puke" !!!!!!!!!!!! ahhh,.... MOLLY green !!!!!

Old 05-21-2006, 03:18 PM

This is a really hard decision for me as I really do love my bike! Since the first of the year I have had to spend some money on her and I am really getting frustrated because it seems like no one is able to get her running right. It is at the Honda shop right now having the carbs done AGAIN! I have spent about $750.00 on her this year and will have to spend another $450.00 to get her out of the shop this time!
In the process of looking for a replacement bike my wife told me that she thinks that my bike is one of the prettiest bikes that she has seen, I agree with her as I always get compliments on how nice it is and everyone always thinks that it is new. So I decided to give it one more shot and see if I'll be happy if it is running perfectly. If not, then I will have a beautifully maintained CBR 1000f for sale.
I'd like to find a bike that does eveything as well as this one, but, I would like it to weigh about 150 pounds less.

Old 05-21-2006, 06:20 PM

How much do the CBR1000's sell for?
I'm in the market for one.

Old 05-21-2006, 07:16 PM

ya jet, 150lbs less.... jack up the gas cap, and slide somthing else under !!!!!!!!!!!! ...about the only way to achieve that goal !!!!!!!!!!!!! Clean and free, Ripp'n

Quick Reply: time to sell?