CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Test of Love

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 04:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch!!

At least he manned up and told you. Good on him for that. A lesson learned by him I'd say. I showed this to my 15 year old son just now. We all love our bikes but they are, after all, just machines.

Much damage?

Old 07-22-2011, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by davethepom
Ouch!!

At least he manned up and told you. Good on him for that. A lesson learned by him I'd say. I showed this to my 15 year old son just now. We all love our bikes but they are, after all, just machines.

Much damage?
Hey Dave..Cool u showed ur boy..yeah they sure are just machines..lawn mower on big wheels on steroids.. I was happy he manned up, guess what pi&^ed me off
was that he took a sickie from school, had he gone to school prolly wouldn't have happened..lol but there's the damage on the pic ..not much at all..but he come out of it good, drops my bike and now may get a present like an old Honda XR 200R ..Lucky buggar to have a dad like me..

Attached Thumbnails Test of Love-crash-001.jpg   Test of Love-crash-002.jpg  

Last edited by horse_power777; 07-22-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by horse_power777
Hey Dave..Cool u showed ur boy..yeah they sure are just machines..lawn mower on big wheels on steroids.. I was happy he manned up, guess what pi&^ed me off
was that he took a sickie from school, had he gone to school prolly wouldn't have happened..lol but there's the damage on the pic ..not much at all..but he come out of it good, drops my bike and now may get a present like an old Honda XR 200R ..Lucky buggar to have a dad like me..
Everyone needs a 'mental health day' every now and then. It's probably good that you got stuck in traffic and had a chance to ponder. Smart boy for texting, not waiting 'til you got home. At least he might stay off your bike if he gets the XR.

Yes, he's a lucky boy! IMO he owes you BIGTIME!! Make the most of it for a while. eg. "The grass looks a bit long son." "Hmm, the garbage really needs to go out." "Geez, the car's dirty..." "I could really do with another beer son."

If you encounter any backchat or resistance to these 'suggestions', just cough under your breath "cough, cough, you dropped my bike cough." or "cough XR200 cough".

Let me know how how this pans out mate.

It doesn't look like too much damage. You should be able to fix it or get some parts for not too much $.

Regards to you and your son,

Dave.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:42 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Holly crap! Ouch! How old is the little bugger? Old enough to send on a riggers course by the look of his lifting rig! As for the xr200 I owned one when I was 15 and went on to register it on my 16th, great learning bike and hard to kill. You might have to try your hand at plastic welding (good fun with the soldering iron, who knew it was so easy to do)
Oh well, you and the young bloke can have fun together fixing her up....got to keep looking on the bright side

Old 07-23-2011, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by davethepom
Everyone needs a 'mental health day' every now and then. It's probably good that you got stuck in traffic and had a chance to ponder. Smart boy for texting, not waiting 'til you got home. At least he might stay off your bike if he gets the XR.

Yes, he's a lucky boy! IMO he owes you BIGTIME!! Make the most of it for a while. eg. "The grass looks a bit long son." "Hmm, the garbage really needs to go out." "Geez, the car's dirty..." "I could really do with another beer son."

If you encounter any backchat or resistance to these 'suggestions', just cough under your breath "cough, cough, you dropped my bike cough." or "cough XR200 cough".

Let me know how how this pans out mate.

It doesn't look like too much damage. You should be able to fix it or get some parts for not too much $.

Regards to you and your son,

Dave.
He He..Thks Dave.. I like that coughing trick mate..that's priceless

Originally Posted by jarvid
Holly crap! Ouch! How old is the little bugger? Old enough to send on a riggers course by the look of his lifting rig! As for the xr200 I owned one when I was 15 and went on to register it on my 16th, great learning bike and hard to kill. You might have to try your hand at plastic welding (good fun with the soldering iron, who knew it was so easy to do)
Oh well, you and the young bloke can have fun together fixing her up....got to keep looking on the bright side
That's uncanny Jarvid, he is 15 just like u were, is there any chance that bike is still working, cause the one i saw on ebay was 1987 model. maybe its yours from way back. lol to lifting rig.. thats what was making me more nervous.. hey that plastic welding sounds like a great idea. Its like a solder gun but more with the flat tip..i'll check it out.thks

Last edited by horse_power777; 07-23-2011 at 05:54 AM.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:40 AM
Welcome Crew

There is a thread on here somewhere with a nice frenchman welding away with his soldering iron that prompted me to give it a go, just use a normal soldering iron thats what the French guy and myself had great success with, he used old PCB boards as filler just by melting it into the cowl! I only had a cracked tab so only had to use the iron, no filler required, just burnt x's along the inside of the crack..fixed.
Also, when doing the welding have good ventilation, I think the French guy was off his nut by the end of his job!

Last edited by jarvid; 07-23-2011 at 06:44 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by jarvid
There is a thread on here somewhere with a nice frenchman welding away with his soldering iron that prompted me to give it a go, just use a normal soldering iron thats what the French guy and myself had great success with, he used old PCB boards as filler just by melting it into the cowl! I only had a cracked tab so only had to use the iron, no filler required, just burnt x's along the inside of the crack..fixed.
Also, when doing the welding have good ventilation, I think the French guy was off his nut by the end of his job!
Hey Man.. Id love to try that except there is rubber cushioning glued all through the back wall of the fairing..real sticky hard to get of

Old 07-25-2011, 09:59 PM
Welcome Crew

That rubber cushioning came off fairly easily on my 93(my new left cowl did not come with any so had to re-use old cushions), maybe they used better glue on the older models.