CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

i love my baby but she doesnt love me back

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 08:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question i love my baby but she doesnt love me back

replaced my r/r on the bike with oem (new oem has fins on it) about a month ago and i havent had a single problem with it (other than dying because of a vacuum in the thank, but thats another problem). i drove it to work 3-4 days a week, a 100 mile round trip. 2 days ago i take it out and an hour later im stopped at an intersection and the bike dies. i try to restart it to no avail. i was able to push start it a couple times but i could tell the battery was dead. finally i got a jump off of a truck (wasnt running) and it fired right up. i put it on a trickle charger that night and the next morning when it was fully charged i started the bike, just off the battery, and it fired right up. i revved it up to about 5k and put a voltmeter on the battery. wasnt charging at all, slowly kept loosing charge . what are the odds this is the r/r again? it seems very odd that it would just randomly go out one day after a month of no problems. perhaps a short somewhere?

Im replacing my fork seals this weekend so ill look into possible culprets when i do. does anyone have any suggestions on where to start looking? i feel like im here..

thanks for the help.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think the R/R would be junked already. I'd check for some loose wires or unplugged connections. I replaced my R/R with a GSXR one and had to splice and solder wires together, but I'm assuming the OEM one is just a plug-and-play set up? Make sure nothing rattled loose.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:42 AM

EDIT.. the only thing that happened out of the ordinary was that before i left i trying to put the kickstand down and some how hit the shifter, instantly killing the bike. could have jarred something loose maybe?

also, when i replaced my r/r one of connections was melted almost beyond recognition. i cut the wire and put a new end on it and plugged it in. still dont think that would play a factor after a month of no problems..just thought ide throw it in there.

cinderfella - any idea what connections would rattle loose? i feel like none should come loose but i guess its still possible.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:15 AM

If the kickstand is down when you shift into gear the bike is going to die. It's a safety thing. Or did you just shift into gear with the kickstand up, no clutch, and stall?

When you put that new section of wire in there did you solder it or just twist and tape? Maybe that rattled loose.

I would just check all of the connections. I think there are two different plug connections between the stator and the R/R. Make sure both of those are snapped together and that they didn't come unplugged.

Also... do you have a multimeter?

Old 08-13-2010, 09:30 AM

i dont have a multi-meter but i have easy access to one.

I know putting it into gear with the stand down will kill it i just didnt know if that could possibly cause something to come loose since it jumps and whatnot

with the new r/r all i did was cut the wire, strip it and crimp a connector onto it. no soldering or anything. (sorry if my first post was a little misleading here)

Old 08-13-2010, 09:52 AM

If you have a Harbor Freight around you I'd recommend going and picking up a multimeter. Probably the best $2.50 you could ever spend when it comes to doing anything electric. And it works surprisingly well for it being cheap.

And I'm not sure if that would make something rattle loose or not. I know I've connected connectors before without snapping them together completely and sure enough they've rattled loose.

What wire was it that was melted just out of curiosity?

Check section 15-3 in the downloadable manual. It has the troubleshooting steps on what you need to do. If you don't have to manual or need some clarification I'm pretty confident on my knowledge of the bikes electrical system so feel free to ask and I'll try my best to help you out.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:59 AM

we do actually have one of those nearby..i might have to go check it out.

im at work right now so i dont have the manual, or my bike but ill look at it this weekend and get back to you.

thanks, much appreciated

Old 08-13-2010, 02:12 PM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat

if the battery isnt charging there are 3 things that are the cause.

R/R
Faulty Wiring (usually caused by the R/R)
Stator

Old 08-13-2010, 02:41 PM

Aren't you not supposed to jump your bike from a car/truck? Could the extra load possibly damaged your new r/r ?!

Old 08-13-2010, 05:43 PM

I don't see how jumping your bike would be bad or how it would damage the R/R. The R/R is nothing more than really a "diode trio" that takes the three wires coming from the stator and converts the AC current into DC current. It's really hard to explain in words but maybe if I'll get bored I'll draw a picture up and try to explain.

Either way though, 12 volts is 12 volts, and with the car/truck not running the amperage was nothing more than the starter would typically draw out of the motorcycle battery. So jumping the bike should not have damaged it in any way.

Start with the troubleshooting in the manual man. That's your best bet. And I definitely recommend stopping by a Harbor Freight and picking up that multimeter. By the way... shame on you for not having downloaded that F3 manual on your work computer. The majority of the time I'm on the forums, I'm working.

Quick Reply: i love my baby but she doesnt love me back