CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Synthetic Oil for a CBR1000F?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Synthetic oil doesn't cause clutch problems. If you stay away from oil that has "energy conserving" in the seal on the back (or whatever the equiv. of that is overseas) your clutch will be fine 100% of the time.

If you search the 500 bazillion oil threads on the interwebs, you'll discover one commonality: Shell Rotella-T synthetic is among the very best oil money can buy, and it's reasonably priced. Personally I've run it in every vehicle I've owned for 15 years (including road racing bikes) and I couldn't be happier.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reason why?

The reason I started this thread is: I own a 2008 Honda Deauville and now (recent purchase) a 1992 CBR1000F. The CBR is everything I hoped it would be!! I changed oil and filter in both a couple of weeks ago and filled both with Silkolene fully synthetic oil. Since then I did a 600 mile trip on Deauville. Oil level dropped from max before journey to min after it - no sign of oil leak or in airbox or whatever and consensus of the Honda Deauville UK Forum seems to be that they at least don't "like" synthetic oil and so I'll revert it to semi-synthetic. That's the very clear recommendation from that forum for the Deauville. I was anxious to find out if this peculiarity of the Deauville in disliking synth oil was mirrored in any way by the CBR. So far it would seem not, although I'm still in two minds whether to revert the CBR to semi-synthetic too. She's old but wonderful and don't want to cause her any harm!!
Mike

Old 06-20-2011, 08:51 AM

This is the third season I'm running Amsoil 10w-40 MC oil in the 1000F, approx. 10k miles total. It still has the original clutch, 46+k miles. The bike is running better than ever. I got 45+miles per gallon last week commuting to work. This includes 60% back roads & 40% interstate @ 80-90mph. Just keeping with the flow.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:53 PM

It is amazing the bull**** that people (even...especially...dealers) will come up with when they have no idea what they're talking about. It doesn't "like" synthetic oil? What a lol.

There is nothing magic inside a Deauville (Hawk 650 for us yanks) motor. The reason it went form top to bottom after you filled it is because it wasn't full. That's it. The laws of physics don't get suspended inside a Deauville motor, and oil will take up exactly the same amount of volume in your motor whether it's dino oil, synthetic oil, semi-synthetic oil, or olive oil.

What those motors _are_ sensitive to is oil viscocity. Make sure you run at least the spec in the manual, or thicker if it's hi-mileage...never less...you'll be replacing crank bearings in no time otherwise.

Anyone who would like to learn something about oil (like, really actually learn...not read old wives' tales ) might want to check out THIS LINK.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:18 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Originally Posted by karlo
I always use fully synthetic 10/40 without any problems.

At the mo she has this in her

Shell Advance Ultra 10w40 4T Motorcycle Oil F/S 4 ltrs | eBay UK
Shell Advance Ultra 4

10W-40, 15W-50 fully synthetic 4-stroke motorcycle engine oil
  • Shell Advance Ultra 4 is a unique fully synthetic lubricant exclusively designed to provide the ultimate in engine protection, cleanliness and superior clutch and gearbox operation for high-powered performance motorbikes
  • It is the best Shell 4-stroke motorcycle available
  • It is the perfect choice for riders who demand top performance and push their bikes to the limit and also for urban and city bikers who rely on their machines day-to-day, as it protects against the extra engine stresses caused by today’s stop-start traffic environments, keeping engines cleaner for longer
  • The balanced friction technology used provides quick engine response without clutch slippage for smooth gear shifts and easy starting
  • The best engine oil for modern, high performance bikes used in racing or high speed, long distance riding
  • The technology has been proven in race and endorsed by leading motorcycle manufacturers, Ducati and KTM, and has successfully been used in motor sport (WSBK, World Super Sport Championship, World 4T Enduro and Moto Cross Championship)
  • It exceeds the requirements of international specification (API - SL and JASO MA) and all Japanese and European motorcycle manufacturers.
Hey Karlo,
I just stuck some of this in mine yesterday.
1. It was very cheap
2. It's a reputable brand
3. I had to blink and look again at the price. They were giving it away. I bought two.

Started her up, sweet sound, sweet smell. I'd reccommend the stuff just for those two reasons.
Riding her today (after having come down from 20/50) she felt sweet, gear changes were good.... I got that 'new oil' smile on.

One thing you should remember. The engine, if completely drained (including filter and oil cooler) will require 4.5 litres to refill. Most oils are now sold in 4 litre containers.
If you're going fully synthetic bring a ton of cash as you'll need two.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:25 PM

Noted the bull**** comment but.......when Deauville oil was changed by me to Synthetic was definitely full - took the appropriate quantity of oil from manual and was run after change and level rechecked etc. etc. BUT despite this went from Max to Min in 600 miles. I agree no logic to that. Bike has done around 2k miles total since new and well run in and looked after. I can only report that on the Deauville forum there are other owners who have had similar experience with synthetic in their Deauvilles and some dealer comments to go no further than semi-syth for that engine. But I'm sorted for that bike - it's going back to semi-syth.
Looks from comments here I should not have similar with CBR and so will leave it as syth.
Oils a great one for getting info on.
Mike

Old 06-20-2011, 08:48 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure how oil is rated where you're from, but synthetic oil comes from the same place as non-synthetic oil. Only reason it can cause clutch slip is if you get a car brand with moly or other friction modifier. In U.S. the phrase "energy conserving" is a dead give away that you don't want it in your bike. Other than that full synthetic will outperform non-synthetic oil in every category and last twice as long. Where and why the oil 'went away' in your other bike is a curiosity.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Default Shell Rotella-T synthetic

I have been using the Shell Rotella-T synthetic in my 87 since last year and have done many oil changes with it. My 'Cane runs smooth, it does have the nasty CCT noise, that goes away after heated up.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:40 PM
Banned

I run the Castrol GPS Power 1 in all of my 3 bikes. Weight is 10w 40. Yes its expensive but I know my bike is protected and looked after. Change every 5000km with filter as well. I got a heap of it at a bike auction over 2 years ago and I still have heaps left. Ended up paying 8 dollars a litre instead of 20.....Mine also has the dreaded CCT rattle at start up but goes away when she is warmed up.

Attached Thumbnails Synthetic Oil for a CBR1000F?-gps.jpg  

Last edited by Bordo; 06-20-2011 at 09:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil for a CBR1000F?