CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Stock Tire size for 1996 1KF?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 02:44 PM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Where do you get the ex race 180's ?

Hey:

forx, are you trying to wind somebody up, I guess I'll take the bait, do you really think you have
frame flex on a CBR1kF, that frame is all about no flex, as stability is what this bike was all about?
If you are getting that hinged in the middle feel, that is normally bent or out of alignment wheels,
supension settings/mismatched or worn out, tires out of balance, bad wheel bearings, or a
previously crashed bike that some jerk consealed. I have had five different years of this bike,
88,91,94,95, and 99 and hammered two of them pretty hard and they all had one thing in common,
that was stability. Yes they are heavy, no they don't have razor sharp flickability, but in a fast
sweeper turn fully loaded with pillion and gear they are very stable when set up right and give
some of the lighter bikes a good run. Having ridden a bike with more hp than the frame can handle,
and its a very scary ride indeed, I don't beleave this bike is one of the twisty flexy bikes, IMHO
this bike is very much the opposite. It just does not have the normal suspension adjustability
range of most honda sportbikes, stock, (the forks mostly). but see what everyone else thinks as
I might have been 5 times lucky and off my rocker. I hope this is a catch and release lake.

Dub

Old 03-17-2007, 04:53 PM

lol,well i have to disagree.
ridden very hard(normal for me) on twisty and undulating roads i find around 100-130mph mine twists anbd shakes like a demented fish.heh.
the rocking horse effect only kicks in under stab braking downhill into bends,but im used to that from the lc500,i havent got the linked brakes or abs so dont know if they are better.
the flexi feeling is under full throttle mind and is obviously apparent with the ensuing light front end feeling.
how can i be knocking it,i own it n luv it,but it aint perfect for my current style of riding.
i wonder wether anyone has planted the excellent motor in a spec built frame/rolling chassis to greater effect.
if you are unsure what consitutes flex try an lc500/lc350/gs1000/early gsx1100,its all releative,the cbr came and was nonflex according to those models mentioned.
having ridden the rr,bmwR1200S(my brothers bike and is amazing thru the bendies)and a daytona then,sorry but this bike is a bit bendy feeling.(all is pretty standard on the bike,just heavier fork oil n tweaked rearshock,wheels are measured true and straight)
i have to compare at the moment with ducati 750's,gixers,the odd blackbird etc as those around me have them(im only one with cbr1kf) and while i can surprise them straight line pretty much,i struggle in the bends.specially right handers, they become bouncy castle time for some reason.
i dont ever ever carry passengers etc,they want to ride they can get their own bike.
when i buy my rr i shall of course be keeping the cbr1kf alongside my other bikes.
when i win the lottery i shall buy each type of bike for each type of riding.lol.

Old 03-18-2007, 01:08 AM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Hey:

Forx, good one m8, loved the demented fish pun lol, and I have to agree with your disagree
that the bike on old rough a and b roads is an handful. No doubt its not the best handling thing
on the road. And I like you, would like to see this engine in a Spondon, ARC, or Harris chassis
to drop the weight to a more modern level, but I just questioned why you blame the frame. To me
this is a fairly stiff design and does not feel to me like frame flex, just avg suspension parts with
limited adjustability on a heavy bike with a avg swingarm with small pivot area and no way to adjust
out the wear or play around a heavy motor. Also I think the early bikes with wider wheels,and newer
suspension handle the best of all the 1k CBRFs. but this is only my opinion, and welcome any different
thoughts on this. Maybe I should start a new thread as I don't want to hijack this one, but is semi
related as tires, wheels, and chassis go hand in hand.

Gotta Love the old LC, one of best bikes for the cash there ever was, a true giant killer.

Thanks for the debate, looking foward to your comments. Have a nice day, and good luck on the
lottery, when you win maybe you can get a new Spondon or Harris chassis for the old CBRF.
Also my flexi flyers were al Kaws, H1, H2, zed 900 and a Z1RTC, great motors with crap rubber chassis.
Then to young, to brave, no fear daily thru the a & b roads of Wilts, Hants, Berks, middlsex, Ox and the
Ms to London.
Enjoy...

Dub

Old 03-18-2007, 05:41 AM

ORIGINAL: zeebee

Hey Trips

I just upgraded from an 87 to a 94 CBR1000F.
Can you point me to a contact for the race tyre?

Cheers....Z
I just get them my the local guys here in Perth that race. They usually sell them after a tuning day.

Just to stick my 2c in the frame debate. The CBR is only let down on its frame when it comes to flicking in quick corners or S bends. Mine wallows like a submarine and this is due to the budget suspension this thing has and the heavy weight of the rider. Also because of the big comfy seat this bike has its harder to get good feel through the seat and people tend to think the bike is moving around because the seat foam is doing just that. Just gotta to look at the thickness of a sports bike seat to see that. There is actually quite a lot of steel on the CBR frame. Steel doesnt need to be anywhere as thick as alloy to be as effective. But it is a lot heaver. Then again if you have a crash in a alloy frame you can forget fixing it.

If ya want to see suspension flex ride a 200hp 86 model GSXR 7/11. Bastard tried to turn itself in knots.

Actually the newest trend in sports bikes now is to have tuned frame flex for and aft.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:14 AM

ahhhh,thems was the days,had a few kwaks,infact had stacks of diff bikes,mainly cos they were all soo cheap back 20+yrs.(ran a 1 man breakers then).
i had some sort of disorder then apparently lol,in that i couldnt keep just one bike,i got bored easily and had lots heh.
happy with just half a dozen now,cant fit anymore in the garage.
h1,mental bike,speed of a missile,handling of a hover mover.and i got to unsieze it n rebuild it weekly.
sorry to hijak thread,get carried away sometimes.