CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Stock Tire size for 1996 1KF?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Tire size for 1996 1KF?

So the bike I'm getting has almost completly bald tires. I was wondering what the stock size for this bike was (front and rear). And maybe some reccomendations.

I've been looking at AVON Azaro ST's ... thats about it. Any thoughts?

I'm mainly looking for a list of sizes so I can correctly match the stock size, or a little larger.

Thanks!

Old 03-07-2007, 05:04 PM
Default RE: Stock Tire size for 1996 1KF?

Stock size is 120/70/17 front and 170/60/17 rear. Most of us the the same size in front but go for 180/55/17 rear. It will add acooler look to the back, and also will alow you to lean more in curves (at least that's my opinion. ) As in brands, if you look for asport-torer tire (long mileage and acceaptble grip)I had Bridgestone BT 020, good tires I did about 13.000 km with them in all kinds of rideing. Never the less I heard that Metzeler Roattech Z6 are a lot better and way more grip on wet roads. I did not test them yet, but for sure are gonna be the next ones on my bike.
regards
p.s. check the forum because there are other posts regarding this matter

Old 03-07-2007, 05:36 PM

Thanks. I did check the forum and searched, but I all the other posts were for years OTHER than 1996, so I was just double checking.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:37 PM

from 1994 or 1993 (not sure) up to 1999 its exactly the same bike, beside color schemes there are no changes wats so ever

Old 03-07-2007, 06:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been very pleased with the Avon Azaro AV45 & AV46 for a sport-tour set up. Only about 6000 miles on them so far. More wet grip from the Metzer's sounds interesting. Anyone had both that could compare?

Old 03-07-2007, 06:52 PM

I hope R1000 doesn't mind for quoteing him but here is his opinion about z6 tires:

[/quote]
Way to go R1000. Tell me one thing please. You said in some old post, that once you bought and tried the Metzelers Z 6 tires. You said your first impresions but never told us the mileage you did with them, how they wore out... and so on. I need to change my tires and i'm indiceded between Bridgestone bt 020 and Z6. Thanks a lot for any replies...
Best of luck
[/quote]

Well, I'm not sure I recall all details but will give it a try. Initially I used the MPP’s on the Hurricane, which where absolutely great except for the wear resistance. After about 5000 km's they where out andreplaced to Z6's, which disappointed me to begin with since they where not as turn willing as the MPP. However, after afew days I learned to appreciate the Z6's very much since theyare very comfortable and stable in any situation and also provided a tremendous grip. It was just to counter-steer harder in turns and they provides a verygood high speed corner stability.I only used them for 2000 km's until I sold the Hurricane for a Bird -97 and they still looked perfectly new at that time.

Happily, the Bird was also equipped with Z6's that was relatively new, about 70% left. The Bird runned absolutely great on the tyres all summer for almost 6000 km's and I walked away from my friends GSX R 1000 -05 with the Bird on Z6's with ease. Igained 100% commitment to the tyres that never failed even though pushed very hard some times.When it become cold here I got several slides, mostly because of the low temperature and to much throttle, only a few deg C, and also because I was thennot at used to ride when wet and cold.

The end result is that I'm very happy with the Z6's and will continue with them on the Bird. I will do a middle-play on MPP 2CT coming spring on the Bird, just to enjoy the recently improved chassie to its full potential, and drag the knees with no fear. I’ll later go back to Z6's on the Bird, which last much longer and still provide premium grip. I have never got a dry-slide on the Z6’s from what I can remember, and I have pushed the bike to front lift out of corners several times at different speeds.

When I was on a tracktraining this summer at Nurburg Ring in Germany, I meet a guy from Switzerland who had a BMW K1200S on Z6's. He was one of the fastest guyon the track in our (fast) group, and I was onlymarginally faster than himon my GSX R 1000 -03 on MPP Dual Compund tyres. The Z6's are very qualified tyres, which I can recommend to anyone who is prepared to avoid budget tyres. Hope that helped.

Cheers

Old 03-07-2007, 08:05 PM
October 2009 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Avon azaro on the back, and avon viper sport on the front, which I bought last year. I have nothing bad to say about the tires, although I would have gone for the new Avon Storm on the rear if I were to change this year, only because it´s a newer tire. The reason I bought Avon in the first place is that my tire shop carries them in stock and can give good discounts on them. Michelin Pilot road is also a highly recommendable tire for our bikes.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:52 PM

For Tires I love the Maxxis. Last forever, much cheaper and only ever get squirrley when pushed hard at the track. Great wet weather tread pattern too.

My 2nd overall favourite was the Avon Azzaro's ST, but they have gone up in price and I think there are better deals to be had. Having said that my next tyres are going to be Vipers but that's only becuase I bought a brand new set that had only done 500k's cheap

As for tyre size there is a great article about it here http://www.sportrider.com/tech/tires...206_tire_size/ essentially it comes down to 2 things. a 180 will give you more grip when leant over at the expsense of worse handling as they will square off quicker and have a more sudden "fall" into corners. They also have less grip upright. Where as a 170 will have less grip but will handle much better. Unless you are a fantastic rider and need that extra grip while leant over go for the 170's.

Having said that though if you want cheap tyres you will find a lot more racing castoff etc in a 180 size. As an example I can get BT0002's that are still good for 4000k's for $180 fitted, compared with $430 brand new.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:51 AM
Default Where do you get the ex race 180's ?

Hey Trips

I just upgraded from an 87 to a 94 CBR1000F.
Can you point me to a contact for the race tyre?

Cheers....Z

Old 03-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Default RE: Where do you get the ex race 180's ?

personally im very happy with my new conti road attacks(120f & 170 r).lots better than the bridgestone 020's that were on it when i bought it, for my riding style(?)
i ride hard and full throttle on most uk a and b roads-twisty and bumpy.
im getting far better lean angles yet my chicken strips are the same-3/4 inch.
have been excellent in the wet and also seem to cross painted lines etc without bucking.
now i just need to figure how to firm it all up/get around the frame flex etc.
,suppose ill have to save up for a rr i think.

Quick Reply: Stock Tire size for 1996 1KF?