CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Stator and reg/rec problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 11:39 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Stator and reg/rec problems

As many of you know, I've been having problems for ages with stator and reg/recs. I've had I think 6 reg recs - they seem to blow up after about 6 months. I replaced the stator in December plus a new reg/rec....lasted 3 months. I found the resistance on the coils is 3.5 ohms instead of the 2.0 to 2.6 ohms as per the manual, in the stator. What would this cause, and how can I fix the problem ?
Any advice would be welcome......

Old 03-15-2008, 12:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stator and reg/rec problems

Have you sandpaper the frame to get metal-to-metal contact to the R/R? This will transfer the killing heat from the R/R. Also check that the R/R is grounded properly.

Is the battery in a good condition? What is the charging voltage @5000 rpm?

3.5 ohm instead of 2.5 ohm could be a measurement error. Check that the instrument reads zero ohms when the test leads are connected to each other, and also check that the batteries are OK in the instrument.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:22 AM

Are you getting 40 -55 volts from the stator on all yellow leads? If thats good and the rec is good and grounded/earthed properly, then check the battery. I know you've replaced it recently, but even new batteries can be NFG. Everything seems to check out fine according to your findings. I've seen many cases of loose connections and grounds. Not just at the reg/rec and battery, but other ground staps that become loose over time around the frame that result back to charging issues.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:29 AM

Check out this VFR article. The charging system is closly that of the CBR's. Mind you the guys kinda get into a heated argument, but there is lots of good information that may help you out with your chrging problem. Good luck!

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/i...;hl=regulators

Old 03-17-2008, 01:12 PM

Thanks guys for the help and suggestions - I'll check it out and report back on what I find.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:34 AM

Shadow, you know I have little mechanical savvy, so the best advice I can give you is to open a shop selling R&Rs... ! At least you will get discount.

There must be an underlying fault, eh? You cannot have to replace the items that often without there being something else causing it. (You will know I have no idea what that is of course [:@]).

Good luck Pete.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:51 AM

Well, we've made a start on tracing the reg/rec problems.
First, we checked continuity of the 3 yellow wires, from the stator plug to the reg/rec plug, all fine, and resistance the same on all 3. I then decided to strip one of my burnt out rectifiers, and found that one of the yellow(field coil connections had burnt out under the rubber cover. My son, who has almost completed his elecrical engineering diploma, pointed out that this may be the result of some problem with the red live wire, between the reg/rec and the battery. Resistance was about 40% higher in the red wire than on the yellow wires. We then started the bike, and checked the resistance in the red wire, 57,6Ohms at fast idle, climbing as the revs rose to 65.7 ohms at 2000 revs!!!! (No connection to the stator, just the battery )
WE MAY HAVE FOUND THE PROBLEM My son says it sounds like a partially damaged red wire from too much heat, or a short, which would cause the reg/rec to sense it should pump more and more current to the battery, until it failed............
I'll continue first thing tomorrow, stripping the wiring loom, and keep you informed.
The light at the end of my tunnel might not be an oncoming train....I hope.......

Old 03-21-2008, 02:34 PM

Good news Pete, I suppose that is the good thing about being your age - you have a son old enough to use the brains his mother gave him .

Keep us posted; it will be a lesson for us all.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:42 PM

Thanks Flogger, you're too kind...[:@]
Going to change your name to "The Clockwork Orange"- let's see if you understand the significance of that......
Also, check your personal mails......

Old 03-22-2008, 10:08 PM

We have now checked the current from the stator - within spec.on all 3 wires
No earthing issues
No line loss, wiring within specs. Replaced one connector, which looked OK but was slightly burnt.
Replaced reg rec.
Charging within specs, but r/r getting warm quite quickly.....?
Checked battery water.
ALL WE CAN DO NOW IS WATCH THE VOLTMETER, AND HOPE....again.....

Quick Reply: Stator and reg/rec problems