CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 01:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer

I went out this morning to hop on my bike and ride it to church, and got out onto the road to realize my speedometer was not working. When I parked it last night at 8 pm, everything was fine. I haven't checked any fuses yet, not sure if they even come into play here. My tachometer is working fine, and as far as I know all my other guages are as well. I just got my new chain put on yesterday, could something have been bumped and fallen off? Where do the two ends of a speedo cable attach on a 1988 1000f? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 07-22-2007, 01:32 PM
Default RE: Speedometer

The speedo is totally mechanic. The cable is connected to the front wheel on the 1988 and that means the chain/sprocket change has nothing to do with it. The cable is probably broken or out of place from the wheel or from the meter.

Old 07-22-2007, 02:27 PM

That is what I was thinking but I wasn't completely sure. How hard is it to get to the back of the speedo? Can I just take the gauge display off, or am I pulling lots of other stuff, too?

Old 07-22-2007, 05:15 PM

You need to remove all the plastic from around the gauges first, fuse cover, one on the right and the actual gauge surround. Then you can get to the bolts for the gauges, however, you may be able to get to the cable at this point, it just screws in on the bottom. I would remove the cable from the front wheel first, and hook it up to a drill and see if the speedo works, if not, remove the cable and make sure it isn't broken. If it works when you use the drill you may have a problem with the drive on the wheel. If it doesn't, and the cable doesn't seem to be broken, then you may have a bad speedo head.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:37 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Your mechanic did not replace the speedo drive coupler after changing the chain.

https://cbrforum.com/m_273343/tm.htm

Old 07-23-2007, 11:04 AM

That plastic speedo nut is probably the culprit. I replaced mine this weekend and it fixed the speedo. My sprocket bolt was rounded slightly (previous owner did it)...It's a fairly easy fix.

After the cover was off...the clutch push rod (for lack of the correct term) made it tough to get the cover to seat without pushing on it (push rod contacted cover when cover was about 1/4" from the engine) . We ended up compressing it by tightening all bolts gradually...(was a little tricky aligning the speedo nut with the part it connects to. I chose to put the speedo nut on the sprocket nut first so it wouldn't get pushed on too far ...this will make sense when you take it apart).

Old 07-23-2007, 05:22 PM

Sorry TimBucTwo, rino...but the OP has an earlier model of the 1000f, and the speedo cable on his bike attaches to the front wheel and not the drive sprocket.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:13 AM

Thanks so much for the advice. Because of you guys knowlege, I was able to take what you told me and use it to actually tear my bike down myself, which I am not much good at. It was a nice feeling. Especially when I put it back together right. Cable is bad, gotta order a new one sometime this next week. But again, thanks so much for the help.