CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 04:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plugs

Need to change my plugs, or do I just need them cleaned. Any idea on the best brands? Cbr1000F 95 model. Thanks to anyone who can offer an opinion.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plugs can be cleaned & gaped, but if their anything like my F3, why go to all that trouble & not put in a new set. It all depends on how old & what condition their in.
Check your plugs against the colour chart in your manual or here: http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_su...qs/faqread.asp
I use NGK or Nippon Denso.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:14 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually use NGK plugs. I've run them in all my Hondas with no issue and they're cheap.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:18 PM
Talking Ngk iridium

NGK IRIDIUM GOOGLE IT..

WONT REGRET!

.. MORE POWER, LESS FUEL CONSUME, LONGER LIFE..

worth every penny

Old 08-31-2009, 04:05 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd agree that iridium plugs may last longer, but more power and less fuel consumption?
I don't think so.
Fire is fire. You either have it or you don't.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:22 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
I'd agree that iridium plugs may last longer, but more power and less fuel consumption?
I don't think so.
Fire is fire. You either have it or you don't.
+ 1 .......fire is fire

Have 'em in the bike and the cars ........just last way longer
Spark just the same as all the others. They cost more so
not sure what the saving's are.........I put em in vehicles
where the plugs are less than easy to get at regularily.
Cane ain't bad but the volvo and the explorer suck for
changing plugs.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:22 PM

Agreed. Iridium last longer. That's where the economy comes from. Same fire just for longer = less maintenance = less cost. I must admit that I just use standard NGK's. I find that Nippon Denso don't last as long. Bosch are good in an old oily motor but haven't had that problem for many years.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:24 AM

+ 1 on the NGK Iridiums... I use them in all vehicles I own or have owned. I have a friend in the parts trade and get them cheaper than normal ones...

Old 09-01-2009, 02:11 AM

Fire is fire. You either have it or you don't
Not exactly. The ignition system on motorcycles are very weak in comparision to an automobile. the Iridium transmits more spark to the combustion chamber. A fuller, more complete spark will combust the fuel mixture quicker and at the proper time. A weak spark will still combust the gas, but the cylinder may already be past the "ideal" point of combustion when all of the gas is burned, therefore loosing power. If the spark strength didnt matter, all plugs would be gapped at .005". but there not, every plug is gapped as large as it can be for the given ignition system to handle to get the largest most efficient spark. A weak spark takes longer to ignite than a strong spark. And yes, the difference that is in mere hundredths of a second will make a difference. Especially once the rpms get higher. Also, the higher compression of sportbike engines requires a healthy spark.

Plus, with the electrical system being subpar on motorcycles, many of them need the Iridiums and are designed around them. Placing in any other plug will work, but a loss in hp is almost guaranteed. Not to mention the risk of fouling out plugs.

Now, if your bike wasnt designed to run on Iridiums, it may not really matter if you run them or not. But if your bike was designed to run on Iridiums, it will not run as well on a standard plug.

Its foolish to think that with the main components of air, fuel, compression and spark, that one of the four can be lacking and still make the same power.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:50 AM

Well put. I don't know anything about the later models but my 87 was not designed for iridium plugs. Also the compression is quite low so I would be surprised if there was any noticeable power increase for using them. The only accurate way would be to run a test on a dyno but I'm not going there. It's interesting to note that when I was a teen I rode a 250 two stroke & the Nippon Denso plugs always seemed to give more power but with a short life. But then it could also be like the exhaust. Put on a loud exhaust & it goes faster because it sounds faster but is slower in reality???

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs