CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

so I ran out of gas and now it runs like crap

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009 | 02:00 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon

Two electronics degrees - sheeeeesh
I'm never offering a solution to an electrical problem EVER again !

Bugger Ohm's Law - D'you know the difference between Sod's Law and Murphy's Law ?
Sod reckoned Murphy was an optimist.........

Old 04-03-2009 | 02:09 PM
|

Man I havent even thought about Kurchefs laws in years...but I get what youa re saying about the voltage drops...it seems that everything electrical is in decent shape...looks like its going to be in the carbs...and yes...rain is bad for electrical..will try to remember that, lol. I will go back and check my grounds as well...its a 1990...alot can corrode in that time...will grab some starting fluid tonight and check it...oh and by the way...the plug i used was grounded to a head bolt...no paint.

and stay off the jack....jagermeister is better, lol

Old 04-03-2009 | 02:43 PM

I know she is doing your "head in" but thats women for you, lol. Dont loose heart mate there is light at the end of the tunnel and I dont think its a train!!
I went through a great deal of aggro from my '90 when I first got her and very nearly gave up and sold her but I got there in the end, never did find the root causes just kept going through the bits and bobs, a bit like yourself, and then finally "cured" her.
These guys helped no end, some of them even sound like they know what they are talking about. (dont mean it guys)lol
DONT GIVE IN YOU CAN BEAT IT

Old 04-03-2009 | 06:51 PM
|

ok! I tried starting fluid and it fired right up...so I know its not electrical...it could be a combination of things...bad gas from the pump, bad cleaning job by myself...both...dont know...will trade out the gas first...then if that doesnt work tear into the carbs again and find what I missed.

at least its a step in the right direction....forward...thanks guys.. will let you know what happens next.

oh yeah...still doing this in a thunderstorm, lol...but she started. when will it stop raining?

Old 04-03-2009 | 11:06 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon

Clean the needles and seats in the top of your float bowls - probably full of goo............
Maybe just drain the float bowls as a first effort - that's quicker. May be some water/other crap in the bowls, and no room for fuel..............

Old 04-04-2009 | 12:36 PM
|

ok...tore everything apart again...cleaned it all...blew compressed air through all the passages and made sure EVERYTHING was clean...put it all back together and it runs better than it did when I picked her up the first day...with the airbox installed!...idles smooth down to about 900, but im keeping her at about 1050 or so.not sure yet if shes charging...will check on that next just to make sure...thanks guys for all the great help with this bike so far...Im very happy shes running smoothly again...for now, lol..we'll see about tomorrow.

Old 04-04-2009 | 12:50 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

Well done swisherred!! Great to have her running again eh? The tick over on these bikes is quite fast I think 1050 may be about right.

Quick Reply: so I ran out of gas and now it runs like crap