CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

should i buy this bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i buy this bike

Hello I Jim. I joined the forum to ask somereel cdrpplif this sounds like an ok deel, it will also be my first bike. abouthow mutch wouldyou thinkit cost to give it a tune up thanx for any replys. and i know it's not a 1000 but but this is the only Hurricane room i saw

http://madison.craigslist.org/mcy/811373626.html

Old 09-26-2008, 05:48 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: should i buy this bike

Hello, Jim !
Sounds like the bike has been dropped, at least once.
I'd say the asking price is quite high for a non-runner.
Difficult to say what a tune up would cost you, but you'll need new oil, filter, air filter, spark plugs and a new battery. You may have other issues with fuel like carb cleaning and even a dodgy engine,etc, and after two years standing I'd replace the tyres.Then there's fixing the damage to paint which isn't cheap.
Maybe $750-800 is closer to the mark. I've seen better bikes go for less.
Oh and the Hurricanes were 1000cc, and quicker than later models....!!

Old 09-26-2008, 07:03 PM

Don't believe all you hear from CBRClassic Jim - he dodges suicidal pine cones, and lives in Oz....[X(].
If you buy the bike, let us know, and we'll help you fix it.......

Old 09-26-2008, 07:34 PM

my sugestion is that since this is your first motorcycle you buy something a bit smaller until you develop your ridingskills. the CBR1000F is a lot of bike to handle for a novice. its heavy and fast.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:43 PM

well thanx for the input guys. I should let you know the paint is not an issue to me, as I'm a painter and can do that myself. And seeing as its gona be my first sport bike theres a chance im gona spill it while im still getting to know it. I'm not gona worry about the paint just yet "unlessmyO.C.D. kicks in andI cant stand to look at the scraches" LOL. I'm more concentrated on the mechanical side and was just not shure of what extra stuff i had to do for a tune up. From what iv been reading its not that diffrent from a car, so I doubt that Ill have a problem with getting it going again. And Ill get him to hook up a charger even if iI have to bring my own! I'm still waiting to hear back on some info on it, and to sell my truck. I'm just trying to get things lind up, and surprising not many ppl are selling there sport bikes in that price rangeit's all cruisers. There is one guy abouta 3 hourdrivethere and back again, selling a 94 CBR 600for the same pricebut he realy didnt give any info exsept that it looks and runs fine. I'm not trying to spend more then 1000-1200 on the bike its self I live in wisconsin so it gona be snowing soon. So if i wana take some time on it as long as theres nothing realy wrong with it

Old 09-26-2008, 08:02 PM

As Paul6585 (where've you been hiding ?)points out they're HEAVY bikes, at over 500 pounds, and have plenty to keep you concentrating.
Have a look at the manual (here we go again)
WORKS MANUAL
EARLY CBR600 & 1000f
http://www.carlsalter.com/motorcycle-manuals.asp
Cars are NOT like Hurricanes - a Hurricane is a precision instrument.
A bit like comparing a hammer to a scalpel......