CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   should i buy this bike (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/should-i-buy-bike-79133/)

JaYmZbO 09-26-2008 05:16 PM

should i buy this bike

Hello I Jim. I joined the forum to ask somereel cdrpplif this sounds like an ok deel, it will also be my first bike. abouthow mutch wouldyou thinkit cost to give it a tune up thanx for any replys. and i know it's not a 1000 but but this is the only Hurricane room i saw

http://madison.craigslist.org/mcy/811373626.html

CBRclassic 09-26-2008 05:43 PM

RE: should i buy this bike

Hiyu Jim ...welcome to the CBRForum mate ...:D
I am glad you think that we are real ... some think that we are all unreal ;)

That CBR sounds not too bad mate ...10 years one owner , that's a good thing .. a few scratches ? you can get them painted . The hardest think with these older rides is actually having to replace whole parts ...but scratches you can deal with ..
How many miles showing on the clock ??
I think an offer of around the $1000 would be accepted as she is in need of work...

dead battery ? that's nothing much ...
You might want to get a charger onto her and fire it up though , to make sure she does run :eek:

She has been sitting for quite a while so she probably wont run to smooth but you will be able to hear any nasty noises at least ..

These older 1000's are pretty strong but a few checks would be a wise decision ..
check the oil for contaminants (water ect )

mine is an 89 ..with 94,000 klms on her :D
They are old , but many are still flying around the roads today mate ...
By the way ...they are very nice to ride ....

let us know how you go mate in either case....

Shadow 09-26-2008 05:48 PM

Hello, Jim !
Sounds like the bike has been dropped, at least once.
I'd say the asking price is quite high for a non-runner.
Difficult to say what a tune up would cost you, but you'll need new oil, filter, air filter, spark plugs and a new battery. You may have other issues with fuel like carb cleaning and even a dodgy engine,etc, and after two years standing I'd replace the tyres.Then there's fixing the damage to paint which isn't cheap.
Maybe $750-800 is closer to the mark. I've seen better bikes go for less.
Oh and the Hurricanes were 1000cc, and quicker than later models....!!:)

CBRclassic 09-26-2008 05:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Shadow1

Hello, Jim !
Sounds like the bike has been dropped, at least once.
I'd say the asking price is quite high for a non-runner.
Difficult to say what a tune up would cost you, but you'll need new oil, filter, air filter, spark plugs and a new battery. You may have other issues with fuel like carb cleaning and even a dodgy engine,etc, and after two years standing I'd replace the tyres.Then there's fixing the damage to paint which isn't cheap.
Maybe $750-800 is closer to the mark. I've seen better bikes go for less.
Oh and the Hurricanes were 1000cc, and quicker than later models....!!:)
Yer , actually Shadow1 is right;) ... $750-800 would alow to get more things ship shape mate ..
I will let you in on a secret ... if Peter say its "so" in regard to Hurricane's ....well then it is sooooo!!!

He is a great guy to stay mates with and he bloody knows his canes well ;)

Shadow 09-26-2008 07:03 PM

Don't believe all you hear from CBRClassic Jim - he dodges suicidal pine cones, and lives in Oz....[X(].
If you buy the bike, let us know, and we'll help you fix it.......:)

CBRclassic 09-26-2008 07:22 PM

Don't believe all you hear from CBRClassic Jim - he dodges suicidal pine cones, and lives in Oz....[X(].
If you buy the bike, let us know, and we'll help you fix it.......:)
Thanks Pete;) .... and they are " heat seeking killer cones :eek: "

Yu gotta remember that down under ... all the blood goes to our heads ;)

paul6585 09-26-2008 07:34 PM

my sugestion is that since this is your first motorcycle you buy something a bit smaller until you develop your ridingskills. the CBR1000F is a lot of bike to handle for a novice. its heavy and fast.

JaYmZbO 09-26-2008 07:43 PM

well thanx for the input guys. I should let you know the paint is not an issue to me, as I'm a painter and can do that myself. And seeing as its gona be my first sport bike theres a chance im gona spill it while im still getting to know it. I'm not gona worry about the paint just yet "unlessmyO.C.D. kicks in andI cant stand to look at the scraches" LOL. I'm more concentrated on the mechanical side and was just not shure of what extra stuff i had to do for a tune up. From what iv been reading its not that diffrent from a car, so I doubt that Ill have a problem with getting it going again. And Ill get him to hook up a charger even if iI have to bring my own! I'm still waiting to hear back on some info on it, and to sell my truck. I'm just trying to get things lind up, and surprising not many ppl are selling there sport bikes in that price rangeit's all cruisers. There is one guy abouta 3 hourdrivethere and back again, selling a 94 CBR 600for the same pricebut he realy didnt give any info exsept that it looks and runs fine. I'm not trying to spend more then 1000-1200 on the bike its self I live in wisconsin so it gona be snowing soon. So if i wana take some time on it as long as theres nothing realy wrong with it

Shadow 09-26-2008 08:02 PM

As Paul6585 (where've you been hiding ?):)points out they're HEAVY bikes, at over 500 pounds, and have plenty to keep you concentrating.
Have a look at the manual (here we go again):D
WORKS MANUAL
EARLY CBR600 & 1000f
http://www.carlsalter.com/motorcycle-manuals.asp
Cars are NOT like Hurricanes - a Hurricane is a precision instrument.
A bit like comparing a hammer to a scalpel......:)

CBRclassic 09-27-2008 01:01 AM

As Paul6585 (where've you been hiding ?):)points out they're HEAVY bikes, at over 500 pounds, and have plenty to keep you concentrating.
Have a look at the manual (here we go again):D
WORKS MANUAL
EARLY CBR600 & 1000f
http://www.carlsalter.com/motorcycle-manuals.asp
Cars are NOT like Hurricanes - a Hurricane is a precision instrument.
A bit like comparing a hammer to a scalpel......:)
I agree with Pete ... :) suck:D grovel;) suck:)

Seriously though ... I meet alot of car guys that think bikes are easy to tune and work on ...
Most from my experience find that they are not and are very fiddly in comparison needing a touch that using a hammer on rarely works ... :eek:
mind you I don't use a scalpel on mine either ...;)