CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

The Saga Continues

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 04:38 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy The Saga Continues

As you may recall I had a mystery starting problem, which I thought I'd narrowed down to a lack of fuel.

However a couple of mornings later she was due for a MOT re-test and she wouldn't start. Cranked her over for what seemed like ages. Eventually as a last resort I turned the choke off and held the throttle wide open while pressing the start button and she fired up after a bit. Got her down to the garage and when I picked her up she started, but was still a bit reluctant. She was ticking over quite slowly so I adjusted the tick-over speed with the **** on the left hand side, thinking that this may also have been why she wouldn't start from cold.

Over the last couple of weeks, between work and 5hitty weather I've not had a chance to ride her, but I've been starting her regularly and she's started on the button and ticked over just fine. Yesterday, though I was busy I thought I'd bunk off and go for a ride as the sun had come out.

Rolled her backwards down my driveway (quite steep), sat on her, put the choke on pressed the start button and she sprang into life, only to die after about ten seconds and she wouldn't re-start on or off the choke.

So gloves and helmet off and tried twiddling with the tick-over adjuster again, got her to start a couple of times but she wouldn't run without me blipping the throttle, so just limped her back into the garage and left her in there to think about what she had done, while I got on with what I should have been doing.

Today the sun is blazing and I'm aching to go for a ride, but I'm going to tidy up the garage so I've got the room to pull the carbs off, not sure what to look for. Last time I had them off I fitted an in-line filter, there is a small air bubble in there but the gas is flowing and presumably this would have stopped any crap getting into the carbs?

I'll let you guys know what I find, but in the mean time any suggestions will be appreciated.

Cheers Steve.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:07 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had similar stuff from a sidestand switch once.
Also the kill switch is a firm favourite !
Hope you find it Hawk.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:18 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tank vent , petcock vacuum line maybe even petcock itself, fuel line kink ....lastly
dump some carb cleaner in her and give her a good thrashing.

Check you choke function is working right - at the carbs

Old 12-15-2011, 09:27 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkwind
....so I adjusted the tick-over speed with the ****.......So gloves and helmet off and tried twiddling with the tick-over adjuster again......... any suggestions......
Start calling it the idle adjustment ****. lol

I am having similar problems. I will have to wait til spring here. It starts but falls on it's face off idle but screams 3,000 rpm. It's worse in cold weather. My thoughts are bad fuel (less than optimal). Form pump to pump, there is a noticeable difference in how the bike runs.

If your choke is pulling the enrichner slide properly, how about draining the fuel and putting fresh stuff in from a different pump?

The thing is with mine all 4 cylinders drop in and out at the same time causing the blubbering stumble. When I get the chance I am going to lift the main needles to enrich the mix. BTW, I think those different notches in the needle are for altitude adjustments.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
Start calling it the idle adjustment ****. lol

I knew there was a name for it, I just couldn't think what it was!

Took the tank off and was going to take the carbs off as well, but looking at the idle adjustment mechanism, I noticed it wasn't making any contact with the throttle, it also appears that the throttle cables are a bit sticky. So when I've been adjusting the idle, the throttle cables are sticking and causing the idle to vary.

Now I need to know how do I lubricate the throttle cables, or is it better just to replace them?

Old 12-15-2011, 06:06 PM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey:

Hawk, I rec this type of cable oiler over the others as they work very well. They are more pricey though.
Hydraulic Motorcycle/Car Cable Oiler NEW HIGH QUALITY | eBay

Also dri slide works well on the throttle cable to help unstick them, if they are still in good mech shape. Replace if worn at all.

Try to find Motion Pro Nylon or like Teflon lined throttle cables, as tend to be the longest lasting if buying new ones.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CBR-10...item4ab1d93586

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-1993-C...item53e93addca

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CBR-10...item336060ea84
In the UK Pair Used

Dub

Last edited by CBR1988; 12-16-2011 at 01:26 AM. Reason: added link
Old 12-15-2011, 08:50 PM

I have a small clamp unit with a hole in it which attaches to the cables and you squirt lube into the cable through a hole in the clamp. I think it's called a "cable luber" but not sure. Works well.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:23 AM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey:

Shadow do you mean one of these

Cable Oiler Twinshock Pre65 uses WD40 lubricator trials bike | eBay

The only thing is the other style will force oil down the cable these do not apply as much force but will lube most cables.

Dub

Old 12-16-2011, 02:01 AM

Thanks guys, I'll try lubing the buggers first, they look to be in pretty good shape.

Hope this is actually the root of the problem, might actually get to ride her again

Old 12-16-2011, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by CBR1988
Hey:

Shadow do you mean one of these

Cable Oiler Twinshock Pre65 uses WD40 lubricator trials bike | eBay

The only thing is the other style will force oil down the cable these do not apply as much force but will lube most cables.

Dub
The very same - used mine on my old CB750 cables yesterday - works like a charm !
(even forces Q20/WD40/whatever UP the cables) !

Quick Reply: The Saga Continues