CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Running Very Hot

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 07:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Very Hot

I have changed the Thermostat, Thermo Housing and Thermo Switch. Pump is running fine. Fan kicks in when power is applied and seems to come on when it needs to.

This said, the temperature still sky rockets past the red and onto the stop on the far right at idle. I removed the Thermostat to see if that was impeding the flow (as it seems hotter at the Thermostat than the Radiator) and it is still the same. Bike is great when riding, just not when idling. I am all out of ideas.

If anyone can help, thanks in advance.

Edit:- Forgot to add, no smoke/steam. Water level does not go down at all and no visible leaks. I also changed the Radiator Cap too.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:09 AM
Default RE: Running Very Hot

Sound bit like a faulty gauge, maybe

Old 08-28-2007, 08:24 AM

Might be an blockagae in the radiator?

Old 08-28-2007, 08:40 AM

Ill flush the Radiator again tonight, see if it flows well. I have 2 different Temp Sensors for the housing and they are both the same, but I never checked the gauge itself. If the Rad. is fine, ill give that a go. I am all out of ideas so anything to try will be helpful .

Thx guys.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:25 AM

i would go to parts store pick up engine thermometer and check temp on block its self,sounds like your gauge is bad.harbor freight sells them cheap

Old 08-28-2007, 10:39 AM

Thanks Bobjan, will try to grab one on the way home.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:06 PM

If cooling fan is not keep running, temp guage is faulty. If the fan is keep running while the guage shows high temp, the problem is on cooling system or head gasket has a pin hole or crack. It was a car, but I had same kind of problem before. With a new radiator, thermo, and fresh cooland, the car was still runing hot. My friend told me the same thing and I replaced head gasket. The problem was resolved. I hope not your bike has that kind of problem...

Old 08-28-2007, 12:27 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

????? If it is fine on the road than something is different when stopped. At idle is the fan pulling air infrom the front and passing it over the hotengine or pulling hot air off the engine and passing it out over the radiator? In other words, the wrong way.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:51 PM
jb

i think its very rare that a gauge would fail, how many miles has the bike done, to me sounds like radiator blockage, or blownheadgasket, does the bike misfire at all, usualy with a blown headgasket just starts u actualy notice a rise in power because of the water getting into the cylinder, however if u arnt loosing any water then i suspect you dont have a headgasket problem, more like radiator, but if yr temp is always in the red, if u keep riding it like that you will cook yr engine, a pressure tester is a sure way to find any leak problem, if its internal or external, i would get the radiator overhauled first and see what happens.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:54 PM

Test your thermstastic valve before you make any big buys. It may be faulty and when under pressure its not releasing any coolant into the exspansion bottle. Place it into boiling water and it should retract and then place into cold water and it should expand. Its very rear for a rad to block up with using distilled water (rain water) and also the sender unit sits below this valve. All the best......................

[sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Quick Reply: Running Very Hot