CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Rattle snake in my CBR1kF + some questions + pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah well Sergio it's a recurring problem in all gens of Hurricane even tho' the later
tensioner design was a "bit" better - I see a CCT job in your future - go for it man plenty
of us here to help you with it from across the miles even of we are all sitting back sippin'
beers as armchair mechanics and spectators

Old 12-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ozzyAL
So ..... which mod didu go with Ron ?
I modified buthead1000's:

https://cbrforum.com/forum/newreply....eply&p=1205337 (Clickable - obviously)

to this: (also in How To in shorter form as "CamAdjuster Completed":

https://cbrforum.com/forum/hurricane...tthead-125029/ (Clickable - not obviously)

but had HenryM done his first I would have used this:

https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f...0f-cct-139116/ (Also clickable - not obviously)

Last edited by DRam; 12-06-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still don't get it comrades...

If you buy a new, original Honda CCT and the noise come back after few thousand km, what is the worst case scenario? I mean, it makes no sense if you have to redesign and tweak something that Honda engineers designed and constructed, right?

I can't accept that Honda created something that will last only a few thousand km and can cause problems in the motorcycle with 1000cm3 and over 130hp. What was the case back in the 'early days' while these bikes were new? I doubt someone was tweaking the CCT on the brand new bike?

I see many of you don't pay much attention on rattling and oscillating noises, you just ride the bloody thing instead The questions is: where is the limit? How do you know when it's critical and it's time to do something about that?

Sergio

P. S. Yes, yes, i know i ask to many (stupid) questions.. you can call me 'smartass'

Last edited by sergio3d; 12-06-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:05 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sergio3d
I see many of you don't pay much attention on rattling and oscillating noises, you just ride the bloody thing instead The questions is: where is the limit? How do you know when it's critical and it's time to do something about that?

P. S. Yes, yes, i know i ask to many (stupid) questions.. you can call me 'smartass'
As far as I know, none has ever had a chain snap on them, unless someone on here knows different?

It's an inherent problem with the CBR1000F, the later design of CCT was better, but it didn't entirely solve the problem. I guess Honda just thought it would be too expensive to redesign the whole thing and once the bikes were out of warranty it would become somebody else's problem.

I don't think Honda have used this design on any later bikes, which speaks volumes. A version of this engine with gear driven cams like the VFR750 would have been the perfect engine in my opinion.

P.S. A 'smartass' doesn't ask stupid questions, they have all the stupid answers

But seriously, there is only one stupid question and that's the one nobody thinks to ask

Old 12-07-2012, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by hawkwind
As far as I know, none has ever had a chain snap on them, unless someone on here knows different?
That isn't my worst fear. I fear that chain (if there is a lot of 'free play') might jump over few teeth on cam shaft sprocket and bend/break some valves, damage pistons, cylinders, etc...

Old 12-08-2012, 12:40 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you fit a Honda OEM camchain it may be better (doesn't have a masterlink)
BUT
Then you have to split the engine and you may as well do a complete engine overhaul.
The camchains we use can be changed in about 4 hours total.

You'd need a HELLUVA LOT of chain wear to jump teeth even without HenryM's modification.
They do stretch quite a bit though.......but because it's over the whole length of the chain, the movement on individual links isn't that much.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:44 AM

I am pretty sure that some euro models came with only one headlight bulb.

+1 on the Cush rubbers being worn, I check mine whenever I replace the rear tire and so far they are nice and tight.
Another bike I had was so loose new from the factory that I actually had to shim them. Another manufacturer that shall not be named on this most prestigious of all forums.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:45 AM

Oh and welcome to the forum!! Nice frigging bike too!!!

Old 12-08-2012, 05:55 PM

Im late to the party, but I will throw in my experience. My CCT rattles like crazy, but I just ride on! No intentions of doing anything about it.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:14 AM

Ahoy there comrades! I was busy these days...

I must thank you all for your answers and advices. I am very grateful.
On the end i decided to replace the CCT. I will use stock one. After that everything should be OK in the next 50-60k km.
That means i don't have to worry and be afraid that noise will come back in the next 5-6-7years at least.

So.. I will replace CCT, CC, rear slipper-tensioner, put some mineral 15-40 or 20-50 oil and sync the carbs.
Also, i will replace rear cush rubbers to eliminate that 'click' sound and gentle hitch when changing gears...

I will do this on first days of spring, or maybe earlier if the weather let me
Expect a LOT of pictures

Special thanks to Mr. Naga_Thai for great HOW TO tutorials, tips and the time he spend to explain me everything i should know about this amazing motorcycle.

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year! Hope you all enjoy your Holidays.

Quick Reply: Rattle snake in my CBR1kF + some questions + pics