CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Power Mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Mods

Hi guys, was just wondering if anybody has tried machining the SC24 carbs out to 40mm? I was comparing specs between the CBR and the ZZR1100C. Same year to be fair in comparison and the kwaker makes much more power and uses less fuel in doing so. Despite the obvious 54cc in engine size and presumably wilder cams, the only mechanical difference is the 40mm carbs. I could go through the whole exercise of finding another set of carbs to fit, but machining out 1mm right around and fitting 40mm throttle plates is far cheaper and easier. Was thinking it might give a touch more top end (considering my bike is already running a big bore kit) and hopefully improve fuel consumption at the same time (when the bike isn't in red mist mode)

Thoughts?

Old 08-12-2013, 02:26 PM

Really didn't take long for me to start looking for more power did it...she's only been running a week

Old 08-15-2013, 12:18 AM
Banned

I think you're nuts to even try it but thats just me. If you want more power buy a Blackbird or similar. I reckon it would be more trouble/work than it would be worth. Good luck with whatever you do though.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:59 PM

I probably am nuts. Yes, a Blackbird would be the answer but this is the best I could afford. Came in at a quarter the price of a bird. I'll probably stuff around a bit and experiment with different things and see what happens.

Last edited by David Van Onselen; 08-24-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by David Van Onselen
I probably am nuts. Yes, a Blackbird would be the answer but this is the best I could afford. Came in at a quarter the price of a bird. I'll probably stuff around a bit and experiment with different things and see what happens. It doesn't seem there are any guys on this forum that can shed light on power mods. I guess this isn't really the sort of bike that gets hot rodded and hammered.

Have you looked at this sort of thing? cbr1000, 87-88, 90-92, carb, jetting, tuning, factory pro, carb tuning, eddy current dynamometer

Or this? Dry Lakes Racers Australia • View topic - M/G CBR1000F *now MPS/F*

This bike ran at the Dry Lakes Racer's Association Speed Week at lake Gairdner down here in South Australia last year.

So I think it can be rodded and hammered

Cheers, SB

Old 08-15-2013, 09:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best thing I ever did to my bike was the stick coil conversion. May not be a "power mod" but it made the throttle response a lot more crisp and smothed the idle out a ton.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:30 PM

I was considering the stick coil mod. Coming from the early 79-83 DOHCs I know Hondas are a bit weak in the spark department. I have a dynojet kit in my 85 CBX750, might do something similar on the CBR, but really fancy a crack at big bore carbs. Call me weird but I always gotta be different

Old 08-16-2013, 01:31 PM

Biggest bang for the buck I ever did to my 88 cane 1000 was the gearing. While it doesnt make any more power, it gets into the power real quick and can eat up some serious road. I went from a 17/42 to a 16/44 gearing. It was night and day difference. Talking about responsive. WOW!!! I could have gone more but i was commuting at the time 60 miles one way. I could pull a stock 09 R6 just barely with stock gearing. When I went to the 16/44 i pulled him about 4-5 lengths to 100 mph. This was on a old 1988 Hurricane 1000 with 50K on the engine at the time. Then raced a guy at work with a 01 Suzuki TL1000R and pulled him by a length from a 40 mph roll to triple speeds. He was shocked. If I would have jetted the carbs and all might have been a little faster. I was running a KN filter and stock 38 carbs, with stock exhaust. She finally dynoed 119 rwhp. Its on youtube.

I have a 94 cbr 1000F now and plan on probably gearing her to, just a little bit though. I bought it with a KN and Two Brothers exhaust on it. I am sure it added a little power. I dont like the exhaust though its to loud. I would rather have the stock cans back on. But they are long gone.

But you can only do so much with these bikes, if you want more power get a bird at 164 hp or a 954rr. You never run with these bikes unless you turbo it. There is one on youtube. I like the power of the old canes pure unrefined in your face grunt. When they hit 6500 hold on.

Good luck with your power quest. Keep us posted on your progress.

Last edited by hurricanematt; 08-16-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:27 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I probably am nuts. Yes, a Blackbird would be the answer but this is the best I could afford. Came in at a quarter the price of a bird. I'll probably stuff around a bit and experiment with different things and see what happens. It doesn't seem there are any guys on this forum that can shed light on power mods. I guess this isn't really the sort of bike that gets hot rodded and hammered.
well you could put your money where your mouth is and start by jetting
cam modifications and maybe a big bore kit custom downpipes suspension
mods NOS and on and on - but then again most of us who'd contemplate
such mods would probably go with a smarter plan on a different platform

I must say I think your generalist statements are simply quite lacking in
backup & substantiation ! Pass the "talk wrench" will ya !

One last thing - try the search button - you'd be amazed what comes up
if you know what you are searching for and talking about.

eg.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f...ossible-12462/

Old 08-17-2013, 04:12 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I guess this isn't really the sort of bike that gets hot rodded and hammered.
Here's the thing, this weekend I ran into a guy with a turbo'ed CBX. Those things made something like 95 or 105 HP. With the turbo, I think my 136 HP with better handling 1kF could still smoke'im. If you want to go faster you need better technology. The bike is plenty fast for the frame as she sits. Just my point of view.

Quick Reply: Power Mods