CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Possible MK1 cbr Project

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 06:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Possible MK1 cbr Project

I've been looking for a suitable Mk1 CBR thou for some time to replace my CBR 750. I've seen several over the last year or so, which were either to messed up, stupid price or done a zillion miles. I came across this the other day and contemplating it. The start price is more than alittle steep and need negotiating down to be realistic. Apart from the front end 'aerodynamic' alterations the bike 'looks' to be tidy from the below average pic's. The low milage is a real bonus.

I can get a front end at a reasonable cost and a I have a complete front top end fairing set up hanging around complete with mounts, light, indicators etc.

Have a look and see what ya think. Any pointers would be good. Cheers, Andy

Honda CBR1000F 1988 | Trade Me

Old 12-06-2011, 01:12 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Andy you may need a new pair of front forks (which as it happens I have in my shed)
Cost ? Just the postage. (which may be a bit steep, given the weight)
There's that full set of fairings on e-bay.UK that's going for 199 pounds + postage.

It's hard to tell if you need an upper fairing frame, or it's repairable. Headlamp is a def replacement.
If any of the gauges don't work I have some that do.........again, postage only, ditto a set of carbs that I bought on e-Bay ages ago and have never used.
Possible damage to the neck and upper frame - can't see. Cracking/twisting is a possibility.
Best option is to have a good look at it up close before you decide, which is obvious I guess. Take pics yourself - it's not going to go too far very quickly.
Some good close up shots would make it easier to give you ideas and advice.
Good luck with it.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice - Worth it - Do it

Old 12-06-2011, 11:18 PM

See you have most of the spares covered.
I have a front axle too, found yesterday.
His asking opening price is really steep, given the damage..............
Maybe around $700 ?
Hard to tell local prices from here but an unrideable bike loses a load of value.

All the bits I have are from a Mk1 which a friend owned and he left with me when he sold it.
Let me know if you need any of it Andy.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:59 PM

Cheers Chaps, I've started with a few intro questions about the bike via the auction. I will be in touch with the owner over the weekend to get more details and hopefully some pics directly to me for assessment. I'll let ya know how I get on.

I've been checking up with wreckers to see what is avail parts wise, to which most are but prices are alittle scary to say the least. I've also forwarded a copy of pics and info to various biker mates for their view regarding pricing. They all agree the price is too steep and should realistically be at most $700 taking into account the cost of parts etc

Shadow, your offer of parts is most gracious, if all goes well I might need to PM ya. An awesome offer and many thanks for the offer.

Sprock, thanks for the ROTM nom, be good to see an ole 750 gear grinder on the top for once. Bike is in bits at the mo doing the valve clearances. Looks like I may have to change out a worn lifter arm.

Cheers Andy

Old 12-09-2011, 01:12 AM
Old 12-09-2011, 02:48 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Hey Andy, a Trademe member myself, let me know if you want me to run interference with the guy, I'm pretty sure between us we can get that start price lowered.

Cheers
TK

Old 12-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
if you want me to run interference with the guy, I'm pretty sure between us we can get that start price lowered.

Cheers
TK

I love it - totally the approach I always take

Old 12-09-2011, 01:27 PM

That TK, would be a great Idea, if you could, that would be awesome. My thinking is around $700 hundy

I rang the owner last night, sounds genuine enough, he's in the pickle somewhat, so needs the cash, good start. However he pulled the usual "I've got a bloke interested that's happy to pay the grand just for the motor" BS. I didn't blink, just reinforced the forks issue, sourcing the parts and the cost. He happily informed me there is a set locally for $450, so this only backed up my point further.

From what we disscused.
*He got the bike from another bloke who had it stashed under his house for a while.
* he confirmed Rego is definately on hold.
* Last owner still rode the bike with bent forks (Keen bugger eh) have been straightend, but knackered the chrome, chipped and bits flaking off where straightened. Clip on bars straight, not been dropped on.
*Bike ran sweet as a nut after a tank and carb flush, no rattles, smoke or odd noises. Starts easily. (battery knackerd)
* Everything functions as it should (minor point, tool kit missing, but bat cover and strap there) Switch gear has the typical honda uv damage going white. Missing bolts from fairings in tool atrea under seat
*Fairing. Head area knackered, but clocks and inner covers OK. Right side only has one chip at the front. Left side front/top portion has chunks out of it. (From the two sets I have stored, I think I could cut and weld a new section on being good ole ABS) Fairings pushed out of alignment due to head fairing.
*Confirmed frame has no signs of cracking or paint flake due to movement at head stock area. He has checked over the rest of frame and is sound.
*front rim & disks confirmed straight (tyre flat from sitting) no front gaurd (I have one in storage)
*Exhaust system no rust, straight, only slight degradation on mufflers from storage.
*last owner lost the front axle and spacers. (Axle I have but no spacers, don't know if this will be an issue or not)

Auction finishes on Monday 12th at 2000

re the price, I told him it was over the top. I ended the conversation saying I will only bid 'IF' I can find forks etc. I gave him my cell number, said If I don't bid and bike does not sell to Txt or call me. Cheers Andy

Last edited by Ruaphu; 12-09-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:57 PM

It looks like I may be posting forks then Andy Definitely won't cost $450 for postage, and last I looked they are in good order.
On the front spacer issue - maybe Dragon knows the answer to that - send him a PM (he's prob seen the thread anyway)
If you buy the bike, I have a few other bike "internals" - my buddy had 3 engines and only rebuilt one, so some of the rest is still here.....

Oh and you can use dubbin/Renapur on the UV damaged plastics - works well.

Quick Reply: Possible MK1 cbr Project