CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Please Help Me

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help Me

WARNING: LONG POST!
I just bought a 1987 edition Hurricane 1000 and it needs some pretty serious help.

1. The previous owner lost his key, so instead of calling a locksmith, he took a screwdriver and hot-wired the keyhole with it. The only way to starts the thing is to turn the screwdriver like a key... not okay. I've ordered a new assembly for the keyhole which should be here this week. Anyone ever replace this assembly before? Any tips/tricks?

2. It's got an "aftermarket" fuel pump on it which does not give it enough gas on the freeway. It actually died on the freeway drive home I can't seem to find a stock one online. I was unaware that carbed bikes even needed fuel pumps. Any advice on a part source for that one? Where is the fuel pump even located on the bike?

3. Are there any wiring diagrams for this thing? The turn signals don't work and the "aftermarket fan" has a lovely flip switch that has to be manually turned on to start it. Not to mention the front brake lever does not activate the brake lights.

4. Because the keys were lost, the gas tank lid is also destroyed. I need the whole assembly, including the inner ring that I don't think is supposed to come out... Again, looking for a parts source for that if you can help.

5. The clutch lever is pretty loose. A couple washers could fix the up/down wobble, but not the in/out wobble. Is there a little spring it's missing maybe? Maybe it's just best to get two new lever assemblies seeing how the brake light sensor doesn't work on the front one right now.

That being said... The engine is in great condition, I think, and it runs like a dream around town. I love the smoothness of the clutch, the easy cold starting, and the power this bike puts out. It's a great bike for what I paid for it, I'm just hoping I can make it a little more functional. Any and all help is much appreciated.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:13 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First off, welcome to the forum!
Looks like you have lots of fun ahead, Q1; ebay would be the cheapest place for the ignition, Q2; on the mk11 & mk111 the fuel pump was dropped some removed the fuel pump on earlier models with mixed results, others on here will give more advice on this, Q3; sorry,I don't know where but someone here will know, Q4,5;ebay or mrcycles.com and other sellers listed under fiche in workshop manuals.
Also, put in an approx address in your user profile as some people on here may have some bits you need and may be able to help you out.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
Those ignitions are held on with Torque Screws originally from new
(check under yours for the type of screws )... a fair bitch to get loose sometimes !..
Have you got a torque screw driver set ? if not , get one !!
Technically, they're called TORX screws.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:53 AM

It's more for Blacksubmarine than for you. If he googles "torque screw" rather than "torx screw", he'll get very different results.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:18 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

I love the way we can get into a technical discussion about the correct spelling of Torx, but all the above comment's apply.

Where are you? and what posts have you trolled looking for help that is already there?

No offense intended but the help is there, hell you might live just round the corner from me and I've got an 87.

25th birthday next year, shall we have a few (more) beers to celebrate?

Old 09-05-2011, 06:45 AM

Yeah, well, we could do this all day (you think I'll let you get the last word in, ask Shadow about that). My search shows the Wikipedia torx listing as number three. And that assumes the submarine man figures out that torx is what you really meant and then clicks on the link. It also assumes he DOESN'T use google's auto complete function, because if you type "torque sc" into google the top offering google gives you is "torque screwdriver". If you select this search, then things get a lot more difficult. Look, you got it right- almost. As you know, the bolts that hold the switch are underneath the triple tree's top clamp, and can't easily be seen without removing the entire top clamp, and just sticking your hand down there and feeling around, it would probably feel like the bolts are just standard phillips heads. As you know, it's not a phillips head and you won't get those bolts off with a phillips head screwdriver. You pointed him in the right direction, I just made it a little easier for him to get where he's going.