CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Picked up an 87 Hurricane, some problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007 | 06:38 AM
Default Picked up an 87 Hurricane, some problems

Hello all,

I'm new to the hurricane, just bought one last weekend. I've been reading through the forums and you all seem like a nice bunch of folks.
Anyways even with only 13000 miles on the clock she has some problems. Carbs feel dirty and needs new spark plugs (non issues) But the biggest thing is that the battery doesnt charge during normal operation. Trickle charge the battery and it starts ok. But after an hour of street riding it wont restart (battery is dead), and the headlights get progressively dimmer. A friend of mine with an older honda said there used to be an issue with the magnets on the rotor losing their magnetizm and failing to provide enough juice to recharge the battery. Also it idles very low, around 600, and sometimes stalls out because of this(although this may be a function of the dirty carbs and the plugs). I must assume that nothing more than basic maintainence has been done to the bike(oil, tires, brakes) So where can my problems lie?

Thanks for any input,

Matt

Old 07-10-2007 | 07:49 AM
Default RE: Picked up an 87 Hurricane, some problems

Welcome to the forum!!! I know that it get frustrating when you are trying to get the thing to run well!!!

I suggest that you ride it hard for longer!! It can be that with town riding she does not run at hi rpm's this can make the alternator notgive lots of juiceat 14.4 v like it is suppose to!!

Hope you find the problem!! Keep us posted!!

Old 07-10-2007 | 11:49 AM

I think im going to take off the carbs tonight and soak them. Any recommendations on what product to use for the soaking? Also gonna change the spark plugs at the same time. If anyone has any pointers they would be appreciated.

Old 07-10-2007 | 12:04 PM

As for the battery not charging, I would first suspect the regulator / rectifier. If you take off the tail platic, you can test it as well as the alternator.

You can download the service manual here: https://cbrforum.com/m_123412/tm.htm (Thanks Trips)

You should also read up on this thread: https://cbrforum.com/m_334421/tm.htm (talks about possible alternator or regulator failure and what to test)

For the carb clean, it depends on how far you're willing to disassemble the carbs. For cleaning out the float bowl and jet, a small can of carb cleaner should do. If you're willing to go all the way, a bigger jug of carb clean with a dipping basket may be in order.

If you take off the left side panel below the seat there it a big black thumb screw connected to the carbs that you can turn to adjust you idle rpms

Old 07-10-2007 | 12:10 PM

Thanks for that hint on the idle adjust. I've been reading through the tech manual and the idle adjust there seems rather intense. Maybe ill grab some carb cleaner and run a tank with the Sea Foam through it before i get into total disassembly. As for the plugs, they definitely need to be replaced, if anyone can recommend a supplier around Worcester MA that would be appreciated. I just moved and i don't know the area well at all.

Old 07-10-2007 | 12:27 PM

Yeah, I never bothered with the idle adjust, just turned up or down the idle rpms as needed. Every 20k miles or so, I borrow my local shops Vaccumate to set the carb sync

ORIGINAL: simmadown

if anyone can recommend a supplier around Worcester MA that would be appreciated. I just moved and i don't know the area well at all.
Motorsports International
444 Washington St
Auburn, MA 01501-3228
(508)832-9494
Internet Manager: Eric Gonyea

http://www.motorsportsint.com/
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=e...;z=13&om=1

Old 07-10-2007 | 03:10 PM
jb

i have an early alternator if yr interested, where do u live?

Old 07-10-2007 | 05:57 PM

JB ill let you know if that is the problem. Started right up when i got home from work today off the trickle charger. Adjusted the idle using the ****, dialed it in right to 1000 warm. Went for a half a tank ride with 1/3 a can of sea foam mixxed in. She ran great. Still gonna change the plugs but after adjusting the idle so i didnt have to run with the choke on to keep it from stalling everything was 100% better. So i dont think i will have to tear down the carbs.

Old 07-10-2007 | 07:18 PM

Just an FYI for you, if you think is runs good now, just wait until you do a valve adjustment

Old 07-11-2007 | 06:18 AM

And a carb sync!

Quick Reply: Picked up an 87 Hurricane, some problems