CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

One step forward. two steps back....

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 12:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One step forward. two steps back....

I've spent the last couple of years farkling the "Tourricane" with a bunch of mods. Heated grips, Ram mounts for my GPS and Radar detector along with powerlet outlets, outlet for my heatedjacketand a separate fuse box powered by a nice Bosch relay. Magnum blaster horns also on there own relay. MRA vario screen, GIVI topcase. I've also been thinking about putting on the Race Tech 1.0 KG springs along with the rebound and compression valves for the front forks and finding some sort of replacement rear shock with adjustablility.

But tonight I had my first major dissapointment that has me questioning the value of doing anything else to this bike. I received my brand new Corbin seat. The problem is, it doesn't fit. The pan seems to not be correct, it contacts the grab bars and is going to quickly wear a hole. The front "tongue" that slips under the front latch under the tank is installed (rivieted) crooked. The fit is so poor that it will not even latch in the locking mechanisim in the back. I'm going to have to send it back. However if I have to pay for shipping to them, I'm probably going to ask for a refund of my money. With shipping I'll be into this seat for almost $400 and that's just too much.

Which got me thinking. If am to keep this bike, can I justify having a seat made locally by Rich's which can be in the $500 or higher range? I really need a different saddle for any long distance riding. Should I really be spending that kind of money on a 12 year old bike, knowing I will never get that back in return ifI was to sell the bike? Couple that with the suspension upgrade and it's more like $1000 total.

If I sell it now I can pick up a nice "bird for just a little more then what I could get out of this bike. But then I would have to spend all the money on it to farkle it like the Tourricane is.

What's a boy to do?!?!?!?

Old 09-06-2008, 01:03 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: One step forward. two steps back....

I'd suggest you contact Corbin, enclose some pictures of your problem seat, and ask them what they want you to do about it. They're a reputable company, and you may be surprised at the response.
You'll probably get your postage back, or they'll tell you to keep the thing and send you another one.
Often, it's not what you say to a company, it's HOW you say it. Write to the most senior person (CEO, Managing Director etc) - they WANT to know about this sort of thing - sometimes writing to a junior, you'll get a brush-off, and they'll try to bury the problem. I had one of the original Seiko diver's watches, messed up by the local agents, so I took a chance and sent the watch to Japan, attention the Managing Director, with a respectful note explaining my problem. Six weeks later my watch was returned to me, COMPLETELY REBUILT TO NEW SPECS with a note (in English) thanking me for bringing the matter to their attention, and hoping I would be happy with what they had done. NO CHARGE !

Old 09-06-2008, 01:41 AM

And don't bag the product, tell em that all your mates that brough one are really happy, but you.

Wheather you have a Bird or a Cane, you will be out of pocket $400
You need to decide wheather you want the Cane or the Bird, take one for a test drive, everything cost money these days.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whenever you swap out parts for better spec - keep the originals if you ever sell the bike put the originals back on and then sell it you never get as much as you should when you sell a bike that has upgraded bits.

You can then pop all those good items on ebay - you will be suprised how much you will get back for them

Old 09-06-2008, 06:26 AM

+1 Harry T, and besides, a stock bike is impressive - people want to do their own "dressing up"

Old 09-06-2008, 07:18 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was going to suggest what Harry did, and what shadow seconded.
Keep all the stock parts....or "bits" as the others call them.
Slap them back on when you want to sell. Just think of how many people want to get a little discount on a corbin for this bike. You would probably get close to what you paid for it with the way Ebay is these days...

Old 09-06-2008, 08:14 AM

Stray Cat, you should see the list of maintenance that needs to be done on my bike this winter. If Honda comes out with a new 'Ceptor, I might just go for a new bike instead.

1) new front rotors (already installed, $140 each)
2) new cam chain and tensioner (probably around $200)
3) Racetech 1.0kg springs (already have them, just no time to dismantle the forks) ($100)
4) new wheel bearing and stearing head bearings and races ($60)
5) repaint the side panels ($40 in rattle can paint)

I'm sure I still have some more stuff in the box I keep for all these parts

Old 09-06-2008, 10:13 AM

Despite all the short comings of the bike I really do like her! It's reliable, fun to ride and we've got a good relationship. I know just about every nut and bolt on her too.
I have all the stock bits and would keep the stock set as well. Everyone is surprised at the condition of the bike given itsage. So it's well kept.
I don't know. I guess every bike is a compromise in some way.
I'm off to get a new set of tires (Pilot Powers)for our trip next week. I've sent a note off to Corbin and I'll wait on their reponse before making any decision. Obviously I won't have a nice new seat to park my **** on for the trip. Oh well....
Thanks for the input. I'll let everyone know how this turns out. I'm just feeling really let down and dissapointed right now.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:11 PM

+a million CBRClassic - also, try paying for spares for a newer bike - even worse.
STRAY CAT : To avoid a fractured a$$ on your ride, a piece of closed cell foam about 5/8" under your backside will alleviate some of the pain. Even the padding of a small towel will help.
What's more important - looking smart or feeling smart ?
I love my fat old lady too !
The Dream Machine…
I hope to get my bike this week
I’ve put aside financial fears
And saved and scrimped – just take a peek!
Been waiting now for all these years
She’s not the newest, not by far
The latest paint she does not sport

But what she has is what I want
So just you look at what I’ve bought!

Original the paintwork too
The motor’s done no k’s at all

You cannot see that she’s not new
The tyres have pimples on the walls!
To sit astride the dream machine
That glistens silver in the light
Who do not ride they’ve never seen
Such beauty, as the bird takes flight
And quickly then we will be gone
Into the realms of speed and sound
The bark of pipes and wind and sun

As we discover what we’ve found
A whisper’s what we will become
As sight and sound and motion blur
Into our world we are as one
The feeling so much more than fear
An exultation this, of life
With living closely on the edge
Two footprints small as credit cards
Are all that keep you on your ledge !
So silver mistress sing to me
And cradle me within your frame
We’ll ride to places far and free
Where everybody’s glad we came .

Quick Reply: One step forward. two steps back....