CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Oh no!!! Starting probs (revisited)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 09:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh no!!! Starting probs (revisited)

Well, what looked like a nice day, turned sour. The weather looked good enough to change starter, so I went to give it a go. Knowing the horror story's of maybe a carb rebalance, I thought I'd try and remove the starter without removing the airbox, carbs etc, and yes a 10mm ringer does the job, albeit 1/8th of a turn movement on one side it came out. Replaced it with a ebay bought one, fitting was as easy as removal. BOOHOO, still the same laboured sound, and eventually a almost flat battery. Taking a jump from a car the + lead onto the solinoid was getting hot as well as the starter itself after about 20-30 secs.
Looks like either the starter clutch or damper, both of which I don't fancy changing. Is there a way of tell which one causes the fault?

Oh and if anyone see's any on ebay etc, drop me a pm please, thanx.

Last edited by Mo777; 02-17-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:11 AM

Sparkie at my work insists that I double check voltages and current draw with starter in then out tomorrow, just to eliminate starter.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:57 PM

Hi MO777.

It sounds like the damper to me but don't worry, its not too badder job. If I can di it then any body can and I'm a Chef.. LOL...

Theres a few of us on here that have done it.

Stu has done a great write up on the job and can be found here;

www.stu.co.nz/cbr1000fix/

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

Last edited by Bazman; 02-18-2009 at 06:58 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 02-18-2009, 11:29 PM

Yeah, cheers Bazman. I found that a while back and it's a bookmark on my bar. I've pm'd Stu to view the vid (private) to compare sounds, but yeah, it's pointing towards the damper/clutch. when it's out I'll check both clutch and damper to see who the culprit is.
Thanx again for the link.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mo777
Sparkie at my work insists that I double check voltages and current draw with starter in then out tomorrow, just to eliminate starter.
Well, couldn't get my hands on a volt meter, but had a clip-on amp meter. with the starter in place the meter shot off the scale (+ 75A), removed starter and bolted it onto frame, it spun really fast n quiet and showed about 2-5A on the meter.
Next, I'll have to get it in a garage/shed for alternator shaft removal to check damper/ starter clutch.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:15 AM

After watching Stu's vid, it sounds exactly the same as mine does. So now I'm trying to source a used alternator damper, I've sent out one of those online part search things, so far nothing back yet.
So if anyone spots or knows of a '91 f-m getting broken up for spares that has a damper could you give me a shout.
Oh, preferably in the UK.
Thanx in advance.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:21 PM

Hi..

I had to do mine because the bike shop put a 2nd hand one in for the previous owner of my donor bike. It lasted about 3 months.
So I bought a new one.

If it was me, i'd splash out for a new one to be on the safe side.

Just my 5c worth.

Cheers..

Old 02-28-2009, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mo777
After watching Stu's vid, it sounds exactly the same as mine does. So now I'm trying to source a used alternator damper, I've sent out one of those online part search things, so far nothing back yet.
So if anyone spots or knows of a '91 f-m getting broken up for spares that has a damper could you give me a shout.
Oh, preferably in the UK.
Thanx in advance.
Well you could try to open the damper and change the order of plates and gain some more friction between them. Also the damper has two half rings at bottom that just might be displaced and that might be the reason why the clutch is slipping.
So i suggest you to try to fix the damper first and if you see really worn plates there then maybe buy new one.
As changing the damper is not so difficult job i would suggest playing with it a little, cos it may save you few hundred bucks of the new damper.
I fixed my old damper and it still works.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by kaska
cos it may save you few hundred bucks of the new damper.
I fixed my old damper and it still works.
Now you're speaking my language.
I'm gonna give it a go this week as my m8 is coming back onshore and is donating his garage to work in. It's got electric and heating, the only problem is that his BMW Rockster will have to live outside whilst the work is on going, but if all goes well it might only be for a few hours.

Old 03-07-2009, 04:10 AM

LOL Put a tarp over the Beemer, it'll be alright out in the cold.

The main thing is to take your time with it. I'd say try and get the old one to go first by moving some of the plates around, and dare I say it, placing a similar diameter thin washer on the top thickest washer under the disc springs (about 1/2 the thickness of the steel plates in the damper)

The one "gotcha" (that got me about 6 times) was the top disc springs were upside down.

Good luck with it.

Quick Reply: Oh no!!! Starting probs (revisited)