CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Oh no!!! Starting probs (revisited)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 04:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GREAT NEWS, the aforementioned 2nd hand damper did the trick. She starts as she should.
I had a few probs on refitting.
Had to grind down a 12mm socket to get a O/D of 17mm, which is the same diameter as the shaft
Originally Posted by swisherred
I inadvertently moved a pin inside that keeps tension on the chain tensioner...now its so damn tight I dont seem to be able to get it back in because of the chain tension...is there a way to loosen the tension on it?...
Now as mentioned at www.stu.co.nz/cbr1000fix/
One of the biggest problems you are going to face now is centering the alternator shaft back through the bearing in the engine case. To get around this, place a socket of the same diameter as the alternator shaft inside the damper after you've put the chain back on. The socket negates the threaded section of the shaft so there is no need to try and lift it into position later on.
If you don't do this, you'll get the thread section of the shaft into the bearing ok, but it will be completely off center and you won't be able to get the part of the shaft that needs to be in the bearing in position. This is by design. If the shaft is off-center at the bearing, it means the chain tensioner is doing its job .
I found that I could slip my small finger thru the inner bearing into the damper an lift it up giving it a better angle for the shaft to insert and also keep pressure on the socket which is on the end of the shaft.

My next problem is that when we were doing the job, my freind over tightened one of the allen bolts holding the cover onto the case he sheered off one of the lugs. We tried various bonding methods none of which would hold it on without snapping off again. So now I'm sourcing a replacement alternator/stator cover for a bike that now starts but now leaks.

I got to thank all involved in this thread. CHEERS.

(I'll get some more pics up asap)

Old 03-23-2009, 09:37 AM

At first congratulations about fixing the damper!
But unfortunately you managed to fell in the same hole as me and broke the cover:S
Now if you find any good ways to bound it together i would be happy to get to know them,
I luckily got help from Shadow and got the new cover in which i managed to install the wires and coils.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by kaska
Now if you find any good ways to bound it together i would be happy to get to know them
I was toying with idea to get it TIG welded, but was informed that they charge a small fortune for the time. I'll get a quote to see...

I luckily got help from Shadow and got the new cover in which i managed to install the wires and coils.
Now that's another idea to follow, how easy was it to part the coils etc from the cover with all that resin keeping it dry and sealed? cos if the welding is not so expensive the coils will have to come out before any sorts of welding is done.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:24 AM

Well to be honest getting out the coil is no problem, getting in the coil is also no problem
The problem is to get all this sealed afterward. I tried to do magic with epoxy resins and managed to get the cover dry for some times but now i did it again over and hopefully this time it will hold - i can't say it will hold now as it's winter in here and i haven't got the chance to ride yet.
At first i hoped to weld it also ( the old one), but thanks to Shadow i didn't need to.
Now I added some pics also, there you can see how i changed the coil. I also needed to put new wires to coil as the original ones where inside the old resin.

Attached Thumbnails Oh no!!! Starting probs (revisited)-img_5434.jpg   Oh no!!! Starting probs (revisited)-img_5439.jpg   Oh no!!! Starting probs (revisited)-img_9816.jpg   Oh no!!! Starting probs (revisited)-img_9817.jpg   Oh no!!! Starting probs (revisited)-img_9822.jpg  

Old 03-23-2009, 02:26 PM

Ah well, the story so far will end at the weekend.
I spent 3hrs today phoning motorcycle breakers/salvage looking for a alternator cover. Out of the 30 or so I found 1, WOOHOO, not so £100 +vat (15%) + delivery. for a 2nd hand part, that aint so good considering I could get a new one delivered from the Netherlands for about £130. So I had a look on ebay (again) and found a whole engine, gave the guy a call. and got it for £90. It's came out of a working 90's model. So I'll have to drive down to the other side of Edinburgh (80mls from home) at weekend to collect it.
Will keep you posted......

Old 03-23-2009, 04:10 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least the engine will come in handy for spares , or maybe you could break it up and sell off the bits ? Anyhow glad things seem to be finaly working out for you

Old 03-23-2009, 04:19 PM

Wow you are not saying that you got the whole engine for 90 pound?

Old 03-24-2009, 09:38 AM

Wow you are not saying that you got the whole engine for 90 pound?
Yep, see here.
The guy was really cool, and Knocked £5 off, he's got a few more bits lying about so I'll see what I can fill my car with.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if you're not needing the starter clutch and alternator damper I'd be interested......

Old 03-24-2009, 11:10 AM

wow how i would like to have spare engine like this to play with, by opening it and educating myself and who knows maybe to build a buggy or cart car

Quick Reply: Oh no!!! Starting probs (revisited)