CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

An offer I couldn't refuse.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An offer I couldn't refuse.

Well......... got an offer on the bike that was a lot more than I was expecting and decided to sell it. Two months ago, put it up for sale asking a lot more than other Hurricanes. I was firm with the price and figured it it doesn't sell, I'll keep it. I was hoping that it wouldn't sell but eventually had a buyer with money and appreciation to the excellent condition of the bike, buy it at full asking price. I got the $3000 CDN for it and he got the bike (with new rear tire and brakes, full safety certificate and ready for the road). I was very sad to see it go but the rider is mature so it went to good hands.

I put around 100kms before putting it up for sale, just to make sure everyting was working 100%. However 2 days after the sale he called me that every now and then the bike would stall while cruising. This never happend to me so I was just as supprised as he was. Sounded like it was starving of fuel. I stand by my work so I offered him (even though we both agreed that he was buying the bike as-is, no warranties) not to leave him hanging and try to figure out what is causing this problem. So far I've replaced the fuel pump bypass ruber line with a steel fuel line that I bent (with the proper pipe bender) to a nice U shape. I thought for sure it would resove the issue (the ruber line was pinching and looked like it was the cause of the fuel starvation issue). Two days later he called sayin hit's still the same but very random. Once it happend only after 5km of riding, then he let it sit for a few mimutes, the bike re started and ran fine for another 32kms. He sais that the engie runs fine untill all of a sudden it starts to loose power (I think it's running out of fuel) and then when he pulls over the engine stalls.

I'm starting ot think that maybe the fuel filter is clogged or the carbs need to be cleaned (they were drained when I got the bike but could be soem residue that got dislodged once it was driven in a warm wearther). My other theory si that the fuel tank venting system is not working properly. I wish I could see the problem as it's happening, tha tway it woud be easier to diagnose the issue. Either way I'll help the new owner out as much as I can to figure out what the heck is causing this. I thikn it's a minor issue but we just haven't found the casue of it yet.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:59 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tank fuel filter
Pinched gas line
Side stand switch...........?

Old 05-26-2009, 08:39 AM

Sounds like venting is the issue. I had a venting issue, and it acted the exact same way.
Patrick

Old 05-26-2009, 10:52 AM

If you find it IS a venting problem, I have an inexpensive way to fix it.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another way to check is to take it for a decent run and then take your helmet off and open the filler, if you hear it suck in air as you open it its a vent problem.
It could be pinching the vent pipe when the tank is refitted or maybe the rubber pipe has even blocked or collapsed.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:38 PM

Thanks for all the help, I wil check each method. Read Shadow's post too and maybe drilling that extra hole might be the ticket. https://cbrforum.com/forum/showthrea...venting&page=2

Old 05-26-2009, 07:14 PM

Got some encouraging(sp?) news from the new owner. I've asked him to change the fuel filter and put soem carb cleaner in the tank and appears it has worked. I'm hoping that that was it, or else next is the tank venting theory.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:11 AM

Don't just drill a hole - send me a PM and I'll help, and guarantee it'll never block again.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow
Don't just drill a hole - send me a PM and I'll help, and guarantee it'll never block again.

ok will do. If the problem is still there I'll send you a PM. Thanks!