CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Noise from an '88

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 04:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise from an '88

So I just got a 88 1000,great bike,but it's been about 15 years since I've had a chain drive bike.Chain was replaced by the previous owner,but not the sprockets.Seems to me like alot of noise from down in the primary area of the chain (small sprocket).Just me being **** and used to shaft drive?

Old 06-14-2009, 06:08 AM

Howdy WC,

I think typically chains and sprockets are all supposed to be changed together at the same time as they all wear together. Putting a new chain on old sprockets will wear the chain down a lot faster at minimum. I think you can get away with just changing the chain if you change it immediately as it hits the outer spec.

How do the teeth on your sprockets look? Are they hooked at all? Are the "valleys" between the teeth clapped out looking at all?

Old 06-14-2009, 06:19 AM

I haven't had the body work off yet,but the rear sprocket dosen't look bad at all.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:56 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Back sprockets never do
It's gen the front that wears badly..........

Old 06-26-2009, 08:07 PM

'Kay...Put new plugs in,valve cover gasketnot seated right on cyl. 3 and 4,weeping a little oil.With the bodywork off,sounds like the noise is comeing from those 2 cyls. but it's more off a chain noise than a valve tap.Waiting on local dealer for a new gasket before taking off valve cover.How long can you expect to get out of the timing chain in one of these,and is there anyway to change it without spliting the cace?The ol' girl has 47,000 kms. on her now,noise doesn't get louder with revs,and can't see any loss of performance from her.Oh yeah,one other thing.How do you guys ride one of these road rockets and keep a liscense?

Old 06-26-2009, 08:26 PM
Talking

"How do you guys ride one of these road rockets and keep a license?"
It's hard, she wants to go. I have set a goal to not exceed the speed limit this season except when passing a car. So far I'm doing good but passing lots of cars.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:56 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrat's on the new ride there WC. Sounds like a thrashed chain primarily. Since you are not the original owner I'd recommend you spring for a new front and rear sprocket.

Sprockets : Smaller fronts i.e. <17 tooth will make more of a ratcheting noise period
> 17 will be much smoother quieter.

Rears pretty much all the same no matter what size but all exhibit a bit
of what I can describe as a whirring noise. Ya won't hear much of this
with your helmet on but might freak you out a bit if you've never heard
chain noise and driveline before with your helmet off.

Another essential is accurate wheel alignment and as a consequence chain
and sprocket alignment and CHAIN TENSION

I have a few threads on dicking about with Sprockets and ratio's with some good photo's. Got most of my sprockets and Chains from Sprocketcenter.com and have been very happy with their product and service. They have a gear ratio chart on there
as well a some good tips.

Good Luck with the new 88 I'm sure y'll get her squared away good.

Riding em is fun & easy around here, but you'd get tapped on the rear wheel for doing the limit (if you tried ).

Quick Reply: Noise from an '88