CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

New steering bearings..can't believe the difference!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 10:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking New steering bearings..can't believe the difference!

The front end was starting to feel sh!tty so I got it checked out. New taper roller steering head bearings and the forks sorted properly and I just don't want to stop riding . It must be like a new tyre..you don't realise how bad it is until you get a new one. I went for a good thrash around my local twisties on the way home, and had a big grin up all the way home. If I wasn't ready for a brew I would have kept going. One particular left hander with a bit of a dip at the apex really used to rattle my sphincter, but the front just soaked it up. I was starting to not enjoy riding so much because the handling was getting bad, but it was so gradual that I wasn't sure if it was in my head or not. It was getting hard to hold a good line with a fair bit of lean on..now it's f'n awesome

The mechanic's a new one to me and is **** hot..old bloke, ex race mechanic from way back. Three times during our conversation, when I picked the bike up, he said to me "it rides really nice". He also said that our bikes are from an era when Honda made proper road bikes, not just race bikes with rego plates on them..very true

Old 11-26-2009, 11:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do I remember you being on sort of a quest about how to get your bike feeling better? Or was that someone else? Anyway, I'll sure keep this in mind for down the road. Never would have thought of it myself. Never heard of such a thing.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:27 AM
November 2009 ROTM

Was yer front tire pressure low also?Mine was ridiculously low the other week like 22,should a been 36 psi,dont help nowt?

Old 11-27-2009, 08:38 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
I usually wait till I can audibly hear a grinding or crunching noise from them or a clunk when braking , before I even think of them ...
I hear a click when breaking now. Cracked race? The front is still solid, but it is coming apart in the spring.

Looky there, we agree once more. Now don't try to argue with me on this one.LOL

Old 11-27-2009, 11:52 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine's had a slight click under braking for a couple of years, I had it checked and all is well. Not sure what else it could be - there was a post some time ago where someone had an alternative suggestion but I can't remember what it was..........getting old, I know

Old 11-27-2009, 12:54 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shadow, let me know if you figure that one out, because I have a little click now and then, too. I always just figured it was in the head and I was being a lazyass. It would be nice to know I'm not really lazy...

But seriously, I've had the front up and beat it around and yanked on it, and everything seemed ok. Maybe in a caliper? I'm just gonna rip it down this winter anyway, I guess.

Dave, congrats on getting it sorted. Glad it feels right now.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:58 PM

New steering head bearings are a great thing!

(and here I am getting picked on for wanting a fork brace lol)

Old 11-30-2009, 05:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dylan, Pete. Regarding the clicking you hear when you brake..If you've got linked brakes (even if they've been de-linked) the click might be the front caliper moving forward when you initially brake. This pushes the piston to apply the rear brake. Mine are de-linked but I still hear the click. Get someone else to push the bike forward and apply the front brake a few times to see the caliper move. This was only brought to my attention the other day when I had my bearings changed and forks sorted. I'll knock up a little plate some time to prevent the movement and get rid of the clicking.

Just thought it could be what you guys are hearing too. I can't remember what year Pete's is though so it's bull5hit if his brakes aren't linked .

Quick Reply: New steering bearings..can't believe the difference!