CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

New here!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New here!

hey guys! Whats up!? I just picked me up a 88 honda hurrica 1000 woot woot! I started a new album with all the restoration pics check it out and let me know what ya think! oh im looking for a gas cap and a ignition with keys the previous owner lost em.... if yall know anyone with the stuff drop me a line! well ttyl guys and c ya around

Old 02-14-2009, 11:09 AM

If all you are missing it the key and the rest of the ignition is ok, remove it and take it to a locksmith and they can cut a key for it. I had this done to a car I had, it had to have the ignition cylinder changed but had no key to it.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:11 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome !
I'd do as Imo suggests - don't forget your ignition, tank cap and seat latch/helmet latch all work off the same key. Any half-decent locksmith can make you a key if you give him the ignition, the gas cap or the seat latch lock. Make at least two keys.
Much cheaper than replacing the locks....................

Old 02-14-2009, 02:25 PM

Welcome to the forum , you could not find a better buch then the guys here reharding the hurricanne!

Old 02-15-2009, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Imo000
If all you are missing it the key and the rest of the ignition is ok, remove it and take it to a locksmith and they can cut a key for it. I had this done to a car I had, it had to have the ignition cylinder changed but had no key to it.

The only problem is the prev. owner is well... not as smart as most normal people...lol.... he drilled and striped out both locking mechanisms... cap and ignition... so a full replacement is the only option.. :/ I mean I could go to a make shift ignition that has a key but that still doesnt solve my gas cap problem.... check out my album on the restoration of the body work tell me what you think so far... been sick all weekend so nothing new yet but I will keep you all posted as for the body work.. anyone have a chain cover that the slave cylinder bolts to... that would be a nice bonus if someone had one laying around

If i was him I would have just unbolted the ignition and turned the thing by hand to get it started and rode it home... then do what you said but some ppl just dont have brains i guess lol....

Old 02-15-2009, 11:49 AM

Ebay. Lock sets come up now and then for cheap. You might also look for CBR600F2 or F3 lock sets- they may work (gas cap probably will work) and are probably more readily available on ebay.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by pacojoseph
Ebay. Lock sets come up now and then for cheap. You might also look for CBR600F2 or F3 lock sets- they may work (gas cap probably will work) and are probably more readily available on ebay.

Thanks dude Ill take a look into it!

Old 02-15-2009, 11:57 AM

Look here-New ignition switch for your bike with alist of other Hondas it will fit. If his list is correct, it should expand you options significantly. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...Q5fAccessories

Old 02-15-2009, 12:07 PM

finding the ignition isnt so bad its the gas cap.... most gas caps have the fold out cap my cap is the one where the whole thing comes out it doesnt have the ring around it with a hinge..... my buddy has the interceptor 750 f2 its a 86 and the ignition is the same but his cap has the ring around it with bolts that folds out mine is the whole friggin deal... not sure what other models have that same gas cap...