CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

New gauge faces!?

Old 08-07-2013, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New gauge faces!?

I'm not associated with these guys at all but I just noticed these cool gauge faces on ebay -has anyone seen them in person or tried them before?. I emailed the seller and they can also scale them in MPH.

Honda CBR 1000 F Gauge Faces | eBay

(Search "CBR 1000 F gauge faces")

Aaron

Old 08-07-2013, 11:26 AM

those are sweet!! $20...really??! I might scoop one up myself thanks!

Old 08-08-2013, 06:36 AM
Banned

Nice find Aaron !!!! I'm gonna get me a set of those as well in black. Cheers.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:13 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

One thought.....The gauges are sealed to stop people from setting the miles (km) back and selling the bike with low miles on it. You would have to bust them up to get into them.

edit: I don't know of anyone getting into them easily.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 08-08-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
One thought.....The gauges are sealed to stop people from setting the miles (km) back and selling the bike with low miles on it. You would have to bust them up to get into them.

edit: I don't know of anyone getting into them easily.
If our gauges are anything like auto gauges (I assume they are), this mod is really very easy. I've added and removed gauge faces for two of my vehicles over the years, and the odometer isn't interfered with in a mod like this (that would require removing the individual gauges from the pod and fiddling with the odometer itself, which is illegal in the States). This mod only requires the removal of the needles and replacement of the face. It *should be* fairly straightforward.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:32 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gauge faces are quite easy to remove, the biggest problem is removing the needles, which are stuck on with some kind of glue. I've done it a couple of times now. There's a special tool that instrument techs use to get the needles off - Just grabbed the shaft and pulled them off, which probably wasn't the best way...

NOTE the gauge faces on Mk1 bikes differ slightly from Mk2/3 bikes, the milometer/kilometer "slot" is slightly different in placement and the new face may have to be "engineered" to make them fir properly. FWIW

Remember when you refit the needles they need to be reset to take the magnet into account or they gauges won't read right.

I didn't try to reset the mileage and I think unless you're an instrument tech it's something to be left alone.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:05 AM
Banned

I think I'll leave it be....lol.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bordo
I think I'll leave it be....lol.
I've always done it with either a fork or a spoon: You just pry the needle up and it'll come off easy, no damage if you're careful. In the instructions link on the listing they explain how to reset the needle, which seems easy compared to the last one I did on my truck (had to apply resistance with a AAA battery pre-swap to record MPH so I could set the needle at the same MPH after the swap. It wasn't hard, just an extra couple steps).

Just leave the odometer alone - yes they can be turned back and there are plenty of videos and sites showing how to's... but that's just not cool.

I think i'm going to pick up a set, so if it all works out i'll try to post a how-to!

Old 08-15-2013, 12:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by amacadams
I've always done it with either a fork or a spoon: You just pry the needle up and it'll come off easy, no damage if you're careful. In the instructions link on the listing they explain how to reset the needle, which seems easy compared to the last one I did on my truck (had to apply resistance with a AAA battery pre-swap to record MPH so I could set the needle at the same MPH after the swap. It wasn't hard, just an extra couple steps).

Just leave the odometer alone - yes they can be turned back and there are plenty of videos and sites showing how to's... but that's just not cool.

I think i'm going to pick up a set, so if it all works out i'll try to post a how-to!

That would be great amacadams if you could do that mate. I still think I will get a set but if you could do a how to that would be even better. It would probably put my mind at ease if you could show how easy it is. I'll wait until you do yours and see how it goes before I commit I think. My dash is in immaculate condition and 'Id rather not stuff it up at this stage until someone that knows more about what they are doing here than I do does it first...lol.