CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

New Dunlop tyre for sport tourers

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 01:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Dunlop tyre for sport tourers

This seems to be an interesting tyre for those who wants good handling and grip http://www.superbike.co.uk/products/tyres/superbike_news_from_Mireval_on_the_new_Dunlop_Road smart_tyre_news_147538.html
I'll probably test it next time.

I've been happy with Z6's and BT021's. The plan was to test Michelin Pilot Road II next but this will not be done since they are now reported by quite a few to feel unstable in high speed corners and to tip in a bit much in corners. I guess PR II will still be a very good tyre for the 'Cane that is a bit under steered and the PR II are very god in wet according to test, and they will last for long.

On the Suzuki, I still use Michelin Pilot Power 2CT. They areextremly grippy and handles very well on a light bike. The front tyre wasreplaced recentlyfor free since allFrench made 2CT's were recalled due to afabrication fault that could cause the skin to loose. About 60 000 tyres were recalled world-wide. Another tyre that nowmay be ahead of the MP 2CT except for wet grip, is the new Metzeler M3.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:27 AM
Default RE: New Dunlop tyre for sport tourers

Both types of Dunlops I've tried on my CBR (D208 and Qualifiers) ALWAYS scalloped or cupper after about 5k miles. No other manufacturer I've gone with (Michelin, Metzler, Pirelli). Even the parts guy at my dealership keeps asking me why I still order a Dunlop every now and then. I tell him it's to remind me why I shouldn't order Dunlops.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:58 AM

Yes I have also avoided Dunlop's since I have read so muchnegative about them. It will be interesting to read more tests on the new Dunlop though, perhaps this one is good.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:58 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I wasn't crazy about the 220. It washed out more than other tires and did the cupping thing. Maybe Dunlop recognized the problem and fixed it.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:28 PM

ORIGINAL: TimBucTwo

I wasn't crazy about the 220. It washed out more than other tires and did the cupping thing. Maybe Dunlop recognized the problem and fixed it.
The Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart's are now available in Sweden but they are very expensive compared to BT021's. If I understand the information correct on

http://www.superbike.co.uk/products/tyres/superbike_news_from_Mireval_on_the_new_Dunlop_Road smart_tyre_news_147538.html
BT021 are still better on dry and they are not bad in wet to my experience. I'm a little confused by the wording there though since theyrefuse towrite in Swedish...

BT021's are reported to be a bit hard/bumpy. This is very easy to correct by just deflating the tyres a little and a proper chassi setup will help to. Perhaps I stick to one more set of BT021 as they handles very well on my Bird.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:50 PM

Stickiest street tire I've ever owned was a Dunlop 591 Qualifier R compound. Too bad it only lasted a little over a month.

Back then I was more interested in showing that tire who was boss. Funny how age changes things.

FarAway

Old 12-18-2007, 10:25 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: FarAway

Back then I was more interested in showing that tire who was boss. Funny how age changes things.

FarAway
37 years ago I took my tires down to near cord on the sides while they were still like new in the center. Now I don't do that anymore. Wet leaves scare me, deer scare me, sand and gravel scare me, way to many cops scare me, the faster modern cars with bad drivers scare me and middle aged women in debt scare me.

I don't know what I get more fun out of these days, taking it down on the pegs or stopping for a coffee. My tire choice also is changing with my riding style. A good ST tire is my pick over the sport tire. If I got 1,500 miles out of a tire 37 years ago, I was ******* it. I changed them so often that the shop let me do them myself on their machine, when they could not get to them.

The 1kF can eat tires if you feed them to it. I went on a 225 mile thunder run with 50% tires and came home with 0% with a little cord showing. It at them up fast. I think they were the D220's at the time.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:00 PM

TimBucTwo,

I took my tires down to near cord on the sides while they were still like new in the center. Now I don't do that anymore. Wet leaves scare me, deer scare me, sand and gravel scare me, way to many cops scare me, the faster modern cars with bad drivers scare me and middle aged women in debt scare me.

I don't know what I get more fun out of these days, taking it down on the pegs or stopping for a coffee. My tire choice also is changing with my riding style. A good ST tire is my pick over the sport tire. If I got 1,500 miles out of a tire 37 years ago, I was ******* it. I changed them so often that the shop let me do them myself on their machine, when they could not get to them.
That was me 17 years ago I'm only 36. 3 children, mortgage, wife, CDL license, US Army, all slowed me down.

But if a tracks open somewhere, its on, call it stress relief.

FarAway